⌠ More Than Blood ⌡

 

“Dad? What’s for supper?” Lu Han called from his room, the glow of his computer screen lighting up his face in the dark. Some of the legends were true; like the fact vampires preferred the dark. Sehun was lying down on his bed, -probably sleeping- to avoid his homework.

Sehun’s eyes fluttered open, groaning as he stretched his arms. Lu Han just smirked at how stupid his brother sounded. Instead of getting out of bed and getting ready for supper, Sehun just pulled his comforter back over his head to try and get a little bit more rest.

Lu Han suddenly had a question pop into his mind. It wasn’t the first time he’d thought about it. “Sehun?”

“Mmm?” Sehun mumbled from under the covers.

Lu Han’s fingers danced across the keyboard of his laptop. “What is sleep like?”

Sehun rolled over in his bed as he thought. “Peaceful,” he replied, tired of Lu Han’s constant questions.

Ain’t nobody got time for that.

Lu Han was one of the few vampires who didn’t have to sleep, and Sehun envied him for it. But in a way Sehun was lucky as well. It was one of the human qualities that he still had, even after being changed. One time, Sehun had asked his dad why Lu Han didn’t sleep, but the rest of the family did. The only response he got was a small shrug and ‘I don’t know.’

It troubled Sehun just as much as it troubled Lu Han. Lu Han wanted to know what it was like to be human again, the same way that Sehun, Soojung, and even his dad got to every night.

Pouting slightly, Lu Han shut his laptop, pushing it to the side of his desk. “Come on, I think I heard dad say something about going out earlier,” Lu Han whispered, shaking Sehun’s unmoving body. All Sehun could reply with was a bunch of gibberish, holding the blankets tightly.

Lu Han sighed, walking over and turning on the lights. He swore he could hear an over-theatrical hiss coming from Sehun. Lu Han laughed at his brother’s stupidness before pulling him out of bed and downstairs.

---

 

Minji poked her small bowl of rice with her chopsticks, not really hungry after having the cupcake at the café. Amongst all her poking, she could notice her mother’s small smile whenever she looked at Minji. It was weird, because her mom rarely smiled like that.

“So that Lu Han boy that dropped you off, you said he’s a new student?” Minji’s mother finally asked. Now she got it, her mom thought that she liked Lu Han. She thought that her precious little daughter had a crush on a boy.

She wasn’t wrong.

Minji nodded. “Yeah, his sister said they moved here about 3 months ago.” Minji took a mouthful of rice, trying to sound uninterested.

Minji’s mother had that smile that had the feeling of I know something’s up, with a small hint of he’s a boy, and you’re a girl and I’m going to set you up. “Is he cute?” her mom asked, laughing when Minji blushed. “Oh, so he is cute?”

At this moment, Minji swore to herself when she had a daughter, she would never pester her about boys. “I guess he’s kind of cute, I don’t really know.” Avoid the question, avoid the question, avoid-

“Do you like him?”

-the question.

Minji had only known Lu Han for 2 days, so it was hard to say whether she actually did like him. So, Minji just shrugged and her mom nodded.

 

***

3 months later

 

 

Tap

 

Tap

 

Tap

Minji kept tapping her pencil against her desktop, listening to the teacher drone on and on about something that Minji was pretty sure wasn’t very important.

Minji glanced at the clock.

12:15 pm

“Just 2 more minutes,” she whispered to herself. Minji slowly began to pack up her things, just like everyone else was. As she zipped up her binder, she heard something drop on the floor. She looked beside her, but the pencil that rolled beside her desk wasn’t hers.

Minji bent down to pick it up, another hand reached out to grab it before she could even put her hand near the pencil.

Looking up, Minji looked around. She noticed a frustrated Sehun sitting beside her.

I never noticed him in this class. Minji thought to herself. Minji had been sitting in that exact spot in her Biology class for the first 3 months of school, and she hadn’t noticed Sehun once.

Brrriing

Minji just watched as Sehun almost bolted out of class, looking very annoyed and determined.

What’s his problem?  She wondered.

Minji quietly picked up her things and walked out of class, Sehun’s expression lingering in her mind.

He seemed almost hurt, or in pain.

Minji just shrugged it off however, and got her lunch bag and headed to the cafeteria.

 

As she walked in, she immediately looked out for Ren, Lu Han, Sehun, and Soojung. Once she saw them at their usual table, she walked over. The group had been hanging out for a while and they were their own little group of friends now.

“Hey Minji!” Ren smiled once she sat down.

Minji just smiled back, pulling out her lunch.

Lu Han, Sehun, and Soojung had begun to bring lunches to school since people around them were getting sort of suspicious about the trio’s eating habits; specifically Ren and Minji. So Lu Han packed a small lunch for each of them every morning.

“Hey Sehun, did you transfer into biology? I saw you today but I’ve never seen you before,” Minji asked, suddenly remember what happened earlier.

Lu Han looked at Sehun with a questioning look, and Soojung just continued to talk to Ren very quietly. She had begun to open up to Ren and Minji, but she was still pretty shy around the other students.

“You switched into her class? Why?” Lu Han whispered, slightly angry that Sehun hadn’t said anything about it. Sehun only shrugged and continued to poke at his lunch. “Sehun.”

“I have my reasons Lu Han,” Sehun argued, standing up and leaving the cafeteria.

Soojung and Ren looked up, watching as Sehun walked away. Minji knew that Sehun wasn’t normally like that. He wasn’t the most sociable person she knew, but he almost always respected Lu Han.

Lu Han looked at Soojung silently, and almost immediately she got up and left with her brother without so much as a goodbye to Ren.

“Weird…” Ren mumbled. Minji just nodded.

 

---

When they all met up at the café after school, Sehun wasn’t there.

“He said he wasn’t feeling good, so he went home to rest,” Lu Han said, making an excuse for his brother. Soojung just nodded in agreement.

Sehun was resting, just maybe not in the sense that Minji and Ren thought.

Soojung and Ren were talking again, about hair and clothing and all that fun stuff.

Minji and Lu Han however were talking about Sehun. Minji had to admit, she was kind of worried about him. She was close with Lu Han and his family. And maybe she did still have a crush on Lu Han. Just a teeny bit.

“Yeah, our family has a tendency to get sick a lot. That’s why we miss school every few weeks. It’s like this cold that just never goes away,” Lu Han lied. Minji nodded, not really caring what Lu Han was talking about. She just cared that he was talking to her.

“Hey, uhm. Are you doing anything tomorrow?” Lu Han asked, catching Minji slightly off-guard.

Minji sat up, not expecting Lu Han to want her to talk. “I-I don’t think anything. Why?”

Lu Han shifted in his chair a little bit, getting a little bit nervous. “Do you want to hang out with Sehun and I? We were planning on going shopping tomorrow, and I was wondering if you wanted to come.”

Well it wouldn’t be a date theoretically since Sehun would be there, but Minji would get to spend some kind of alone time with Lu Han.

Not quite knowing what to say, Minji just nodded. Of course she wanted to go.

Lu Han just smiled. “Great. I’ll pick you up around noon then. Soojung, we have to go home and check on Sehun.” Soojung nodded, saying goodbye to Ren and Minji.

The two sat at the table for a few minutes, sipping their coffees quietly.

“Ren?”

“Yeah?”

“Does Soojung know you’re gay?” Minji asked, holding back a giggle.

Ren looked at Minji with a questioning look. “No, I haven’t told her yet. Why?”

Minji only smiled and got up, getting ready to leave. “No reason. No reason at all.”

---

Minji didn’t know why she was so nervous.

It wasn’t a real date after all.

She was just going shopping with Lu Han and Sehun on a Saturday afternoon, right?

Right.

But she was still nervous anyways.

“Mom! How should I do my hair? Up or down?”

“Down!” Her mom called back.

After an hour of getting ready, Minji was finally ready to go. And just on time too; as she put her last bracelet on, she heard a car horn outside her house.

Minji checked herself over in the mirror once more.

A grey tank top with a blue see-through button up shirt, light blue jeans, and to top it off, a pair of black Converse high tops.

Minji ran down the stairs, grabbing her purse and keys, waving to Lu Han through the window. She ran to the kitchen and kissed her mom on the cheek before leaving and heading to Lu Han’s car.

“Hey.” Minji smiled, getting in the passenger seat.

Lu Han smiled back. “I made Sehun sit in the back.” Lu Han laughed and winked at Minji. “You look nice today.”

It wouldn’t be an exaggeration if you said Minji’s heart dropped.

She turned back and looked at Sehun, waving. Sehun smiled and waved back. He was feeling a little bit better, but he still wasn’t 100%. He was still hungry.

The three walked around the outdoor mall, stopping in at a few shops here and there. Lu Han and Sehun had bought some new shirts and what-not, but Minji hadn’t bought anything yet.

But Lu Han could sense it in his bones; Sehun was very off that day. He wasn’t paying attention to what he was doing and where he was going, he was even more jumpy than normal. Lu Han easily noticed, but Minji was yet to. Lu Han started to walk a little closer to Minji, as if to protect her. Lu Han didn’t know if it was just paranoia, or the fact that he knew Sehun was still hungry. Minji didn’t notice, not only because she wasn’t around Sehun very much, but more-so the fact she was too busy rambling to herself about some show she watched the other night.

Minji stopped for a second, setting her backpack down on the bench, reaching in to find something. She pulled out a few hair ties, quickly pulling her hair back into a pony tail. Then, Lu Han could smell it. It wasn’t as annoying to him because he was already full, but Sehun had insisted on waiting until the next weekend to go out hunting. Lu Han could see Sehun’s fingers twitch with anxiousness out of the corner of his eye as Sehun watched Minji put her hair stuff back into her bag, ready to keep going on the way. 

Sehun couldn’t take it.

She looked so nice.

She smelled so good.

 

He needed her.

Sehun grabbed Minji’s wrist, jerking her away from Lu Han, making her drop her purse on the sidewalk. All Lu Han saw was Sehun running away with Minji behind him, very confused and afraid. Lu Han had no choice but to go and chase after Sehun, before he let go completely.

“Sehun let go of me! It hurts!” Minji yelled, trying to pull away. But Sehun’s grip was too tight, she couldn’t fight him. Sehun just kept running, pulling Minji down an ally way without saying a word.

Minji felt the cold stone on her back as Sehun pushed her against the wall, holding her so she couldn’t escape. When she looked into Sehun’s eyes, she could see it. The usually bright, happy Sehun was gone; replaced with the anger, the fear, the need she could see. Minji immediately got scared when she saw this, not knowing what he was planning to do. It was a side of Sehun that she –and many other people– had never seen before.

Sehun’s eyes were glued to her neck, the scent of her blood killing him inside every moment. He could feel it in his throat; the scratchy dryness, the pain, the thirst. But water wouldn’t quench it, only one thing would.

Minji still couldn’t fight when she felt Sehun leaning closer, his lips just barely brushing her neck. Then she could feel it. Well, not it, but them. She could feel his lips closing around her skin, the points of his teeth threatening to pierce the thin skin.

Suddenly, Sehun’s hands were lifted from her wrists, and she couldn’t feel his body in front of hers any more. But she was grabbed once again and dragged out of the alleyway by who she hoped and prayed to be Lu Han.

When Lu Han thought they were finally safe, he sat down against a random building, pulling Minji down to sit beside him. “Minji, are you alright?” Lu Han panted, sitting beside Minji. Her eyes were wide, hands shaking, and breathing sharp. She couldn’t believe what had just happened. She thought Sehun was her friend, she thought they were close. It never once crossed her mind that he would ever attack her like that. Minji couldn’t reply to Lu Han; her head was spinning, her vision fuzzy. It was all way too much to comprehend.

Lu Han leaned back against the wall, a soft but exhausted sigh escaping his lips. Minji quietly moved closer, her hand shaking as she clenched her fists in her lap. “L-Lu Han… What the hell just happened?”

Not saying a word, Lu Han carefully wrapped his arm around Minji’s waist, in an attempt to comfort her, even though he knew he couldn’t. “Answer me.”

“I can’t tell you Minji, I really can’t,” Lu Han replied, his voice sad and hushed. “It’s a lot to explain.”

Minji rubbed the red marks on her wrist from Sehun, flinching in pain as she touched them. “I have time,” she whispered, leaning her head on Lu Han’s shoulder. He shrugged Minji off, scratching the back of his neck.

“I-I’m going to go check on Sehun. Do you want to come?” Lu Han stood up, stretching his hand out to Minji. She hesitantly nodded, taking Lu Han’s hand to stand up. She dusted off her jeans, and began walking with Lu Han.

Minji stiffened when they walked around the corner to where the trio were originally walking. She could see her purse lying on the ground, contents spilled on the sidewalk. Thankfully, no one had touched it since they left.

“He left,” Lu Han mumbled, standing where Sehun had initially dragged Minji off. He picked up Minji’s purse, handing it to her. She nodded, not saying a word. Lu Han could tell Minji felt different. There was something in her eyes that just didn’t seem right. It was as if she knew that-

“You and your family aren’t like others, are you?” Minji questioned, sitting down on the bench.

Well .

Lu Han wasn’t entirely sure what he was supposed to say. Lie about everything, or tell the truth and hope for the best? “In what sense?”

Minji looked at the sidewalk, twisting her ankle around. “You and Sehun, even Soojung all seem different than people around you. You walk differently, talk differently; you’re just not the same.” Minji kept avoiding Lu Han’s face, not wanting to see the probably confused look he was giving her. It was anything but.

Lu Han was worried. How much did she know? How did she find out? Did Soojung slip up when she was talking to Ren about something?

“I was doing research for my English narrative the other day, it’s supposed to be about the supernatural and whatnot. I got a little deeper into my research and well… What are you?”

“Minji, I don’t know what you’re talking about. My family is the same as the next one,” Lu Han carefully lied, knowing that Minji wouldn’t believe him now.

“Don’t you dare lie to me Lu Han.”

Lu Han just looked at the cement side walk before he finally made his decision to tell her. She asked to know. “Come with me,” he murmured, before grabbing Minji’s hands and taking her towards the park.

---

“Why aren’t you scared Minji? Either of us could kill you in an instant!” Lu Han snapped, biting his lip. They were still looking for Sehun since he had run away. Lu Han took Minji to the one place that Sehun spent most of his time; the nature park outside the mall. Lots of deer lived in the park, so it was a perfect place for Sehun to go and hunt.

 Minji wasn’t afraid, and she didn’t know why. Did she know in her head that neither of the boys would hurt her on purpose, or did she just not believe it to be true? Minji didn’t believe in ghosts or anything mythological, but maybe Lu Han wasn’t kidding.

“I know you won’t hurt me.” Minji went out on a limb, saying the first thing that came to mind.

Lu Han didn’t like that answer. His grip tightened around Minji’s wrists the same way Sehun’s had just minutes before. She held back a gasp as she felt the pressure. “You damn well know that isn’t true. I don’t want to hurt you. Neither did Sehun. But it’s in our instincts Minji, we were born for this; created for this.”

“I’m not afraid of you Lu Han. I know you can’t hurt me.” Minji moved closer to Lu Han, doing her best to show just how not-afraid she was.

Lu Han looked up, staring at the horizon, a smirk taking over his lips. “You just don’t get it do you?” Lu Han laughed, snaking his arms around Minji’s waist. “Do I have to prove to you what I’m capable of?” Lu Han whispered, his voice hushed. Minji felt her heartbeat quicken and blood rush to her cheeks. She had gotten used to the heat of Lu Han’s skin over the weeks, but his hands felt hotter on the sensitive skin of her waist. She tried to back away, but it was no use. Now she felt scared of this Lu Han. He wasn’t the same as when she had met him just 3 months ago.

“Lu Han, y-you’re hurting me,” she murmured, her fists clenched.

 


Dah dah dah dah! Update~ Sorry if it's terrible. I wrote it on the way to Calgary Comic Expo.