⌠ More Than Blood ⌡

 



“Kim Minji! You need to wake up! It’s the first day of school!” Minji’s mother yelled from the bottom of the stairs. Minji just rolled her eyes as she continued to straighten her short blonde hair. It was the first day of her last year of highschool, so she wanted to look decently nice; and straightening her hair was one of the easiest ways to make herself look better.

The smell of eggs and bacon coming from downstairs distracted Minji, making the straightener get a little too close to her head. “Ouch!!” Minji yelled, dropping the straightener onto the stained carpet beside her. Her hand flew up to her forehead, her eyes squeezed shut. Looking in the mirror, Minji examined the burn mark. It was just a small red line not even the length of her thumb. Minji decided to just part her hair differently to cover the mark.

“Minji!!” Her mom yelled again. Minji double checked her makeup and hair before she ran down the stairs to get breakfast.

“Morning mom!” Minji smiled, kissing her mom on the cheek. Minji glided over to the stove where a hot plate of bacon, eggs, and toast was waiting for her. Minji smiled wider and sat down at the table, excited for her first day of school.

“Do you have everything?” Minji’s mom asked, the sound of water running from the tap clouding her voice. Minji just nodded, not even paying attention. The only thing going on in her mind was the hope that there would finally be some hot boys at the school this year. Minji happily ate her breakfast, butterflies starting to form in her stomach. Although this was her last year, she was still nervous about it. She couldn’t fail this year for sure.

---

Sehun groggily opened eyes, the light of the sun shining into his pitch black room. “Lu Han,” He called with a scratchy voice. “What time is it?” Sehun heard some shuffling around the room.

“6:30,” Lu Han replied, sitting on the edge of Sehun’s bed. Sehun rolled over in his bed face down, sighing. Lu Han smiled and playfully poked Sehun’s foot. “Come on, you need to wake up,” Lu Han mumbled, trying to wake up his younger brother. Lu Han continued to poke the younger boy’s foot, but he didn’t move a muscle. Receiving no reaction from Sehun, Lu Han sighed, standing up and ripping the blankets of off the bed. Sehun still lied there with only pajama pants on, unmoving, ignoring the cold morning air attacking his body.

Rolling over, Sehun faced Lu Han who was standing beside the bed with a stupid grin. “You are Satan,” Sehun mumbled, rubbing his eyes. He stretched his arms in an attempt to wake up, but ended up falling back in to his mattress.

Lu Han just rolled his eyes and began to throw clothes at him. “Soojung and dad are already up, so you’re the last one. So wake up and get out of bed,” Lu Han scolded, pulling Sehun out of his bed. Sehun was too tired to argue, so he just let Lu Han drop him on the floor. But the pain of hitting the ground surprised Sehun’s body, and woke him up.

“Whatever,” Sehun mumbled. Sehun stood up; his eyes still half-closed as he began to get dressed for school. Lu Han only laughed at his brother’s tiredness. “You’re just lucky you don’t have to sleep,” Sehun hissed under his breath, too low for Lu Han to hear. Lu Han helped Sehun with his hair, trying to make it look nice –yet messy– for the first day at a new school.

“Lu Han, Sehun, Soojung! Come on! I can’t be late on my first day!” Suho yelled from the kitchen up the stairs, packing up his bag. He began to list off everything he packed to himself so he wouldn’t forget anything. The 3 teens ran down the stairs, looking absolutely perfect as per usual. Suho smiled and kept packing his things as the 3 began packing their own school bags.

“Now remember you guys, you need to behave and act as normal as possible, alright? We don’t need anyone asking any questions about us.” Suho advised. The 3 teens nodded, large grins on their faces. Suho smiled at the happiness of his kids. “Well I’m almost late, so we need to go. Let’s go!!” Everyone ran outside and jumped into the car, eager for their first day.

---

Minji twirled her pencil between her fingers as she listened to her new teacher drone on and on about the first day of school. She started to close her eyes and doze off, but when she heard her name, her head snapped up. “And Kim Minji, I want you to show our new student around the school. His name is Lu Han,” the teacher explained, looking at Minji. Minji looked at Lu Han; he seemed calm, but something was off. His eyes were darting across the room every now and again, and he kept looking at the teacher as if he was waiting for him to tell him something specific. But she just nodded tiredly as the new student took the desk beside hers.

While the teacher continued talking, Minji felt a little stab on her arm. Looking over, she saw the new boy poking her with a pencil. “H-hi. I’m Lu Han,” He whispered, a cute smile replacing the previous pained expression on his face. Lu Han seemed almost different to Minji; it was like he had a weird aura that came from him, like you wanted to be near him.

Minji scooted her chair a little bit closer to Lu Han. “I’m Minji. It’s nice to meet you Lu-” Right as Minji was in mid-sentence, the bell for first class rang, and all the students piled out of the room with yells and shrieks. “Han…” She finished with a smile. Lu Han just kept smiling and shook Minji’s hand. When Minji first touched Lu Han’s hand, she quickly pulled away. “Your hand… Why is it so hot?” She asked, amazed. It was as if Lu Han had just pulled his hand from a tub of boiling water.

Lu Han’s smile quickly disappeared, transforming into a serious face. “We should get to class, shouldn’t we...” Lu Han stood up and nodded at Minji before he walked out, obviously in a hurry. Right as Lu Han was walking out the door, the teacher called to him, still looking at the work on his desk. “Be careful now Lu Han. You too Minji,” he advised. Minji just nodded and mumbled “alright Mr. Kim,” waving as she walked away.

---

When Lu Han walked into his next class, he breathed a sigh of relief once he saw Sehun sitting by himself. Lu Han placed his books on the table, and sat beside Sehun. “It’s fun being the new kid, isn’t it. Everyone is staring at you as if you’re from a different planet,” Sehun mumbled while he stared straight ahead. Some of the students continued to stare at Sehun, eyes wide and mouths gaping. He quickly turned around and glared at a few making them quickly look away. “Make sure to be careful around them. Some of them smell pretty good,” Sehun advised with a smirk, eyeing one of the students.

“You too Sehun-ah. We all know what you’re like when you’re angry.” Lu Han ruffled the other’s hair. Sehun nodded and smiled at the old memories racing through his mind.

Suddenly, an older looking man came into the class room, his -what he had left of- hair was in a mess, sticking out everywhere. He had an annoyed look on his face, and Sehun swore he heard him mumble “I hate kids” under his breath as he walked in.

 As class went on, Lu Han and Sehun didn’t have to take any notes, since they’d done the class at least 40-some times. Sehun leaned over and whispered in Lu Han’s ear. “Being a vampire has its advantages I guess,” He chuckled. Lu Han just laughed and pushed Sehun away. Sehun then poked Lu Han’s forehead, to which Lu Han countered with a poke to Sehun’s side.

The two boys began to laugh as they almost fell off of their chairs. The teacher turned around to see Lu Han and Sehun goofing off. “Boys, please quiet down; everyone here is trying to learn,” the old man glared. Sehun tried to contain his laughter as him and Lu Han both nodded, taking out their notebooks to pretend to write notes and pay attention. It was only the first day and they were already getting called on for messing around. It was going to be a good year.

---

Minji walked around the hallways, paper in hand as she tried to look for her locker, with Ren following behind her closely. “And so I was sitting at my desk and he totally was staring at me. Like, I caught him staring 4 or 5 times! And then he blushed and smiled! It was so awesome!” Ren squealed, telling Minji about some boy named Baekho in his Algebra class. Minji only smiled and laughed as Ren kept going on and on. “I mean, he’s not someone who I would usually date, but he’s so cute!!” Minji nodded her head as she saw Lu Han and another boy walk down the hallway.

Ren kept walking, but Minji stopped and stared for a moment, just like almost every other girl who was in the hallway did. One girl was so distracted; she actually dropped her books on the ground as she stared. Lu Han wasn’t exactly enjoying the attention that the two were getting, but it was obvious that his friend was. As the two walked by Minji, Lu Han waved.  “Hey Minji,” he smiled. All the other girls in the hallway turned away from Lu Han and Sehun, and looked at Minji with jealousy. Sehun smacked Lu Han on the back of the head lightly, whispering in his ear. “Careful. We don’t want to start a war between all the women.”

Suddenly, a poke in her side startled Minji. “Looks like someone’s got the hots for the new kid,” Ren teased, a quiet giggle escaping his lips. Minji couldn’t help but blush slightly as she rubbed her side where Ren had poked her.

“I do not,” Minji attempted to defend, but the colour of her cheeks wasn’t fooling anyone.

Ren laughed, tapping his feet on the floor. “Hey, he’s cute. You should go out with him,” he nodded. Ren could hear the whispers of the girls who were still crowded in the hallway, now listening to his and Minji’s conversation.

Minji shook her head, her hair flying everywhere in the process. “I just met the boy today. Besides, it sort of looked like him and his friend were… You know, together.”

Ren fixed Minji’s very puffy hair. “Sehun and Lu Han? There’s no way. They’re in my algebra class too. They are really close; they talk to each other and goof around a lot, but they for sure aren’t a couple,” Ren assured, putting his arm around Minji’s shoulders. Minji then remembered that Ren was a year ahead of the rest of his grade in Algebra, only because that was the only subject he paid any attention to. Minji smiled and giggled as her and Ren walked down the hallway together, dreaming of what would happen if Lu Han and Minji got together.

---

“Did you see the way all those girls were staring at us?” Sehun laughed, a mischievous grin on his face. Lu Han nodded, not really paying attention to Sehun. Lu Han let his eyes wander as he walked, almost walking into some things in the process.

“Do you think it’ll be different this time?” Lu Han asked. Sehun turned to look at Lu Han, not entirely sure what he was talking about. Lu Han placed his arm around Sehun’s shoulder. “I mean everything. Do you think we’ll be able to stay here longer than last time?”

Sehun looked at something, his mind distant. “I don’t know. I hope so; it seems really nice here.”

Lu Han just laughed. “Please, you only like the girls.”

“That too.”

---

“Oh thank god. Lunch time,” Minji mumbled as the bell rang. Lunch was always Minji’s favourite part of the day ever since she started school.

As Minji entered the cafeteria, she noticed the way groups had formed already. The athletes all in one corner, the drama kids in another, the smart ones all at their own table and god only knows how many more. It was crazy, and Minji didn’t know where she fit. “Minji!! Come over here!” Ren called from a table at the back of the cafeteria. Ren stood up and waved as Minji looked around. When she saw her bestfriend, she quickly ran in between chairs and tables to meet Ren.

When Minji got to the table, she noticed Ren wasn’t alone. There were 3 other people sitting with him; 2 boys and a girl. “Minji, meet Lu Han, Sehun and Soojung. They’re all related,” Ren nodded, motioning for Minji to sit down between him and Sehun. Minji hesitated for a moment before she put her lunch tray down.

Lu Han whispered something to Sehun and the two switched spots. Both Ren and Minji looked at the two brothers slightly confused. “Oh, Minji already met me in the morning. I figured she might feel a little awkward around Sehun. He can be a little weird sometimes,” Lu Han explained. Sehun rolled his eyes and Minji just smiled and sat down, playing with her hair. Ren nodded, a small smile creeping onto his lips.

“How do you guys like it here so far?” Minji asked, playing with her noodles and rice.

Lu Han thought for a moment. “I like it here; everyone seems to be really nice and welcoming. But my brother only likes it for the women,” Lu Han laughed while Sehun gently punched the older boy in the side. “Hey now, no fighting at the table,” Lu Han teased. Everyone at the table smiled, including Sehun.

A conversation between Lu Han, Sehun, and Minji started up, the trio talking about video games and boyish things. Minji was never one for Barbie’s and makeup as a child; mainly computers and video games. But Ren noticed Soojung wasn’t saying anything to anyone; she just sat by herself, staying completely silent. “Soojung, you’re so quiet! Say something,” Ren whined, waving his hand in front of the girl’s face. Soojung only smiled and nodded her head. Minji then looked over to Soojung, noticing she hadn’t said a word the entire lunch time.

Lu Han and Sehun glanced at each other, thinking of a lie to make up. “She doesn’t talk much. Never has, ever since she was a kid,” Sehun mumbled. Lu Han nodded in agreement.

Both Minji and Ren then noticed that the 3 siblings didn’t have any food for lunch. “Aren’t you guys hungry? You have no food,” Ren asked, pointing to the empty spots in front of Lu Han, Sehun, and Soojung where their lunch trays should’ve been sitting.

Lu Han smiled softly. “No, we’re not very hungry. I eat between classes, and Sehun and Soojung had a big breakfast this morning. So, we’re alright. Thanks though.” Ren bit his cheek to prevent himself from saying anymore, like how they need to eat because classes are long and if they didn’t they could get sick, and all that.

“You don’t want any of mine? I have grapes,” Minji asked, pulling a container of green grapes out of her lunch bag, and placing them in the middle of the table. Sehun and Lu Han both shook their heads, but Soojung thought for a moment before she stuck out a hesitant hand, carefully picking one of the grapes from the container. She placed it in , making a pop as it slid through her lips. Soojung smiled softly, as it was her first taste of real food in a long time. Soojung mumbled a quiet thank you with a bow of her head. Minji smiled, glad she could make someone happy.

brrriing

“Dammit,” Ren muttered. “I swear, lunch time is always way too short.” Minji nodded in agreement, packing up her lunch. “Well, come on guys. We have another 2 hours of absolute hell to go through until we can go home.”

“Wait until you hit your third year Ren! It’s even worse,” Minji laughed. “Right Lu Han?”

Lu Han laughed while nodding, patting Ren on the head. “You’re funny,” He complimented, giving Ren a boost to his already too big ego. “Sehun, Soojung, let’s go.” Lu Han pulled Sehun up by his arm and dragged him off to class, almost the same way he pulled his brother out of bed that morning.


 

I feel really nervous posting this. orz