⌠ More Than Blood ⌡

 

Minji sat in her desk quietly, ignoring the annoying chatter around her. She hated homeroom in the morning. It was loud, unorganized, the teacher only came in about 20 seconds before the bell rang, and it was just a cluster of annoying things.

Until Lu Han came and sat down at least. That was the only thing she didn’t like about Lu Han in particular; it was only the second day, and already everyone seemed to be in love with him. The girls would stare; and the boys would get jealous because their girlfriends were staring. And the best part was they all stared at Minji too, since she was the only girl Lu Han really talked to, not including his sister.

Minji didn’t know why. She wanted to ask Mr. Kim why he chose her to show Lu Han around. Why not some other random chick. Sure, Lu Han was a nice guy and everything, but it brought unwanted attention to herself.

Thankfully though, everyone stopped staring when Mr. Kim had walked in. He was one of the few teachers who were actually on time in the morning.

Minji could feel a few pairs of jealous eyes staring at her back, angering her more. She’d only known the boy for a day! Why was everyone else so jealous of her? He’s just another stupid boy, right? Why couldn’t they go and talk to his brother or friend or whoever he was with the day before.

---
As Minji was walking through the cafeteria, she felt a light tap on her shoulder. She figured it was probably Ren, but when she turned around, she didn’t see her bestfriend, but Lu Han with a shy smile on his face.

“Hey, Minji, would it be alright if my siblings and I sat with you and Ren today? We don’t really have a table to sit at and Soojung’s pretty good friends with Ren already since they take Chemistry together…” Lu Han trailed off, his smile turning into a pout. Minji wasn’t sure if he was actually pouting or if he was only doing it so Minji would let him sit with her and Ren, but she said yes anyways.

Ren smiled and waved when she saw Minji and Lu Han coming towards the table, Sehun and Soojung not too far behind. Minji had to admit, lunch period was her favourite time of the day. Not because she got away from class for a half hour, but it was a break from the kids she was normally with during classes.

Ren noticed that again, neither of the siblings had anything to eat. “Do you guys never eat or something?” He laughed, pointing at the empty lunch trays. Sehun just shrugged. They could theoretically eat human food, they just didn’t need to, and so they didn’t

---

“Minji! I need some help with this homework!” Ren whined through the phone. Ren looked over the algebra problem once again and groaned in frustration. What the hell is this even good for in my future life? He screamed internally. He shoved the math book off the table, falling onto the couch.

Minji just rolled her eyes. “How did you get homework on the second day of school?” She asked, her phone sitting between her ear and her shoulder as she was filing her nails carefully. Ren explained how his idiot teacher hated every child between the ages of birth to 18 on the planet, and was destined to ruin Ren’s life. Minji laughed and gave in, saying she’d be right over.

She grabbed her favourite bag, stuffing her own algebra homework –which she wasn’t planning on doing– into it, hoping maybe Ren could help her with that. She didn’t know why Ren was asking for help when she took the “stupid” math.

---

“I swear, you’re a life saver Kim Minji,” Ren smiled, happy he finally finished his homework. Minji just laughed and nodded, not entirely sure if she actually helped him at all. “Do you want something to drink or anything?” Ren asked, walking over to the fridge.”

“Yeah, can you get me a glass of water?” Minji asked, lying down on the couch. Minji felt comfortable at Ren’s house, mainly because they were best friends.

Ren walked in with a tall cup of water and placed it on the glass coffee table that was in front of the couch. “Want to watch something?” Ren asked, sitting beside Minji’s feet on the couch. Minji just shrugged and took the glass, swishing the water around. “Or maybe do you want to talk about that new guy you’ve fallen for?” Ren nudged Minji with his elbow, making her roll her eyes.

“I haven’t fallen for him Ren. Besides, I just met him yesterday morning,” Minji laughed, poking Ren’s forehead.

“Oh come on. Don’t you believe in love at first sight Minji? I saw you two at lunch, he sooooooo likes you.”

Minji just ignored Ren, letting her eyes wander around the room. So she liked the new kid, so what? He was pretty hot; even Ren said so. But it wasn’t like he liked her back. He only talked to her because her homeroom teacher had told her to show Lu Han around. She sighed quietly.

“R-Ren I actually have to go help my mom with supper. I’ll see you on Monday, okay?” Ren pouted slightly before picking up Minji’s bag, helping her with her stuff. It wasn’t like Minji to leave so fast, but Ren let it slide. Kind of.

--

It was true, Minji was supposed to help her mom with supper, but not for another hour or 2. The only real reason she left is because she wanted to avoid all of Ren’s questions about Lu Han. Minji wandered around town quietly, taking in all the sights to see. Minji had a couple of friends who lived in Seoul, but she rarely got to travel to see them, despite Bucheon being so close.

Minji kept walking around, the sun warm on her face and her backpack from school still slung over her shoulder. Stopping in front of a small café, she decided to go inside and get something to eat. Maybe a cupcake or something. The café didn’t look too busy either. Maybe she could finish her homework anyways.

As she walked in, Minji looked around the nice little café. The walls were painted a light beige colour, and there was tables scattered throughout, giving it a “messy” look. The tables and chairs all matched each other though, showing a sense of organization amongst the mess.

Minji could hear slightly familiar laughter from a table near the window of the café. Looking over, she could see Lu Han, Sehun, and Soojung all sitting together, nothing on their table. They were smiling and laughing, something that Minji had rarely seen the trio do at school.

Lu Han caught Minji’s eye and waved, but Minji only looked away while he face turned a light shade of red and went to go order.

“Ouch,” Lu Han mumbled, pouting.

Sehun looked at him, slightly confused. “What’s ouch? Did you stub your itty-bitty toe?” He teased, getting a small giggle from Soojung.

Lu Han shook his head. “No, I waved at Minji but she just ignored me.”

Sehun looked up to see Minji standing in line, her backpack hanging off one shoulder, clearly trying to cover her face.

“It’s a girl thing; when we like a boy, we get really nervous around him and get embarrassed easily,” Soojung explained, fingers twirling through her hair. “If you want her to talk to you, you actually need to go up to her and speak words.” Soojung rolled her eyes and went back to texting god only knows who.

So you’re saying she probably likes Lu Han, Sehun thought to himself, a small smirk forming on his lips.

Sehun nodded in agreement to Soojung, even though he could hardly understand what she said. He mumbled something about women being so confusing to him, earning a slap from his sister. “Oh yeah, vampires have good hearing…” Sehun and Soojung started arguing -quietly so they wouldn’t disturb anyone- but Lu Han decided to take his sister’s advice. He didn’t like Minji in the sense he wanted to go out with her, he just thought she was nice and kind of fun to be around.

He tapped on Minji’s shoulder softly, hoping not to startle her. He rocked back and forth on his heels while he waited for an annoyed response of go away, or what do you want. But all he got was a red face and a stuttered greeting.

“Oh, h-hey Lu Han. What’s up?” Minji asked, clearly embarrassed. She shifted her weight from one foot to the other, avoiding eye contact with Lu Han. She could see Sehun and Soojung watching her out of the corner of her eye.

Lu Han’s worried frown quickly grew to a happy grin. At least Minji wasn’t ignoring him now. He didn’t know why it bugged him at first that she had turned away. “Oh, not much. What are you going to order?” Minji didn’t like this. The way that Sehun and Soojung were grinning over at the table made her suspicious. Did they dare Lu Han to go up and talk to her? Or was he just being a nice guy?

I thought nice guys finished last.

“Probably just a latte or something,” Minji shrugged. She wasn’t entirely sure what she wanted. The café had just intrigued her from outside.

Lu Han nodded, still grinning. “Cool, cool. If you want, you can come sit with my siblings and I.” Lu Han pointed to the table, and Sehun and Soojung waved. Minji thought about it for a moment while she ordered. Why not?

When she got her coffee and cupcake, she followed Lu Han to the table by the window. Sehun took an extra chair from the next table over so that there would be enough room for Minji to sit down. Soojung kept texting, but Sehun and Lu Han talked to Minji about almost anything they could.

“When did you guys move here to Bucheon anyways?” Minji asked, taking a quick sip of her coffee. Minji made a face as she drank the hot liquid. It still tasted quite bitter to her. So she dumped another packet of sugar into her cup.

Lu Han and Sehun looked at each other for a moment. They couldn’t exactly remember.

“About 3 months ago,” Soojung spoke up. “Our dad’s a teacher at the school we go to.” Soojung didn’t look up from her phone screen as she talked. Sehun looked over to see what she was doing, but only got a quick slap in the face. “None of your business,” Soojung mumbled with a small smirk.

“Whoa, you actually talk?” Minji asked with a small giggle. She hadn’t actually seen Soojung talk at school at all. Soojung nodded with a small smile, eyes still glued to her phone.

“She’s just shy at school.” Lu Han nodded, ruffling his sister’s hair.

“Or hungry,” Sehun mumbled with a roll of his eyes. “But like she said, our dad’s a teacher at the school so we moved here before the year started,” Sehun explained, tapping his fingers on the table. He cursed himself for not buying something to drink to at least try to calm his thirst. He hated being this close to a human. That’s why he hated school so much.

“Which teacher?”

“Mr. Kim from homeroom,” Lu Han answered.

Minji felt confused for a second. “Wait, but if your dad is Mr. Kim, I thought you were Jung Soojung, Oh Sehun, and Lu Han. Isn’t Lu Han a Chinese name anyways?” Minji’s Chinese was horrible at its best. But she knew the difference between names.

The three siblings all looked at each other with a smile. “Adopted.”

Minji laughed and looked out the window, noticing the sun going down. “Hey, Soojung, what time is it?” she asked, suddenly worried.

“5:33, why?”

“Ah . I have to go guys; I told my mom I would get home early to help her with supper. I’ll see you guys on Monday!” Minji hurriedly replied, gathering up her things. She knew she should’ve gone straight home after going to Ren’s house. She gets so distracted easily and-

“Do you need a ride home?” Lu Han asked, keys dangling in his hand. Minji thought about it for a moment, trying to guess how far she was from her house.

If the walk from Ren’s house to hers was 20 minutes, but she walked for 20 minutes to get to the café, and take shortcuts into mind-

Screw it.

“If you wouldn’t mind, that would be awesome,” Minji breathed, thankful for Lu Han being her saviour. Lu Han just smiled with a “No problem” before cleaning up their table so they could go.

“Shot gun!” Sehun yelled, laughing at his cleverness.

“Shut up Sehun, I get shot gun!” Soojung argued, arms crossed with an angry expression on her face. Sehun and Soojung argued yet again, and Lu Han told Minji to get into the passenger seat.

She mumbled a quick “dibs” under her breath, and Lu Han laughed.

 

“Thank you so much Lu Han!” Minji smiled as Lu Han pulled up in front of her house. “I really appreciate it.”

Lu Han laughed. “Anytime Minji. See you on Monday.”

Nodding, Minji ran up to her front door, now nervous that her mom was going to yell at her. She waved quickly before Lu Han drove off as she opened the door. To her surprise, her mom didn’t yell at her. She only smiled at Minji as she walked in.

“Who dropped you of dear? I didn’t think Ren could drive,” Her mom asked, stirring whatever was in the bowl she was holding. It looked to be some sort of mix.

“Oh, that was one of the new kids at school. His name is Lu Han,” Minji replied, hanging up her coat and backpack. She was almost sure that her mom was going to yell at her. Whatever though, take it or leave it.

“That was nice of him. Do you want to get the eggs and milk for me?”

Minji nodded, sliding in her socks on the hardwood to get to the fridge.
 


So everyone knows, I'm a super slow updater. don't throw things at me please
should I mark this chapter Rated because I said in it?