My Destiny

That's The Way Love Goes

My Destiny

How did this come to be
I don't know how you found me
But from the moment I saw you
Deep inside my heart I knew

...And as far as I can see
You were always meant to be
My destiny..

My Destiny by Jim Brickman
***

Kim made way for Gerald. “Sige sige, pasok ka.. Buti na lang naisipan mong pumunta. Kala ko mag-isa lang ako dito eh.”

“Eh kasi I feel guilty. Hindi man lang kita nakamusta this week.”

“Hindi ko naman masyadong napansin. Busy rin kasi ako sa trabaho eh.” ‘Kung alam mo lang..’ she added to herself. Kim led Gerald to the kitchen. “Dito mo na lang ilagay yang mga yan. Kukuha lang ako ng plates. Upo ka na dun sa may dining table.”

Gerald placed the food on the table and walked to where Kim was to help her set up the table. He grabbed the plates that Kim was holding. “Akin na yan, ako na maglalagay. Kuha ka na lang ng spoon and fork.” Gerald set the plates on the table so that he and Kim are facing each other. “Kaya nga ako hindi nagtxt or tumawag sa iyo eh. I didn’t want to disturb you. Sabi ko baka busy ka sa trabaho.”

Kim sat across from Gerald and smelled the food. “Wow, mukhang masarap toh ah? Ano toh? San mo nabili?”

Gerald placed some food on her plate. “Korean food, nabili ko dun sa may Korean restaurant malapit sa bahay namin. Masarap talaga yan. Kapag tinatamad kami ni Matt, order na lang kami ng take out doon.”

“Wow, ang sarap nga.”

Gerald took a piece of meat and sliced it. “Eto ang tikman mo, this one’s really good.” He offered his fork to Kim. Kim stared at him and then leaned forward so that Gerald can place the meat in .

‘Please Lord, sana wag niyang mahalata na namumula ako’ pleaded Kim as she smiled at Gerald while she chewed. Her eyes grew wide. “Wow! Ang sarap nga! Naku, magiging favorite food ko na ito.”

“I’m glad you like it.” He gave her one of those smiles that you just can’t resist. “So, tell me about your week.. Anything special na nangyari?”

“Like you said, super busy sa work. Pero you should know by now na I wouldn’t mind it if you send me a text message. Para naman di puro work di ba?”

“Ganon ba? Eh bakit ikaw? Di mo rin naman ako tinext ah?”

“Eh kasi di mo ako tinext eh. Di ba dapat ladies first?”

“Eh bakit? Lady rin naman ako ah?” Gerald pretended to flip his hair.

For a second, Kim completely forgot that Gerald was gay. “Ay oo nga pala. Well, wala na tayong magagawa. Past is past. Let’s enjoy the present na lang and look forward to the future? Di ba?”

“Wow, saang libro mo nakuha yang quote na yan?” joked Gerald.

“Heh!”

When the two of them finished eating. Gerald got up to clean up the table.

“Naku Gerald, ako na. Nakakahiya naman sa’yo. Bisita ka tapos ikaw pa nagliligpit niyan.”

“Ayos lang. Tulungan na kita. Sa lababo lang ba lahat?”

“Yeah, pero wag mo nang hugasan. Ako na maghuhugas niyan mamaya okay?”

“Sabi mo eh.”

As soon as they finished cleaning up the table, Kim and Gerald walked towards the living room. “Anong gusto mong gawin?” asked Kim.

“Do you have any movies diyan? Let’s watch a DVD.”

“Yeah meron. You’re going to like our collection! Can I pick the movie?”

“Sige, ikaw bahala.” Gerald sat on the couch.

Kim went to their DVD rack and grabbed a DVD. “You would love this one. I bet isa to sa mga favorite movies mo.” She placed the DVD in the player and took the remote. “Do you mind if I sit beside you?”

Gerald felt like he just won the lottery. “Nope.” he patted the space beside him, “Come here.” Kim sat beside him. “So what are we watching?”

“The Notebook.”

Gerald was surpised. ‘Well what do you expect? She thinks I’m gay.’ he rolled his eyes. “Wow! That’s one of my favorite movies.”

“Really? Me too!”

Kim pressed play and started the movie. “Do you want any popcorn? May microvable ones kami diyan.”

“Really? I can’t say no to popcorn.”

“Okay, sandali lang kukuha ako.” Gerald grabbed the remote to pause the movie. “Don’t worry, wag mo nang i-pause, sandali lang naman eh.”

“Okay.”

Kim got up and went to the kitchen. Gerald relaxed and resumed watching the movie.

“What do you want to drink?” shouted Kim from the kitchen.

“Do you have coke?” Gerald got up to help Kim as he saw her coming.

“Ano ng nangyayari?”

“Noah’s just asking Allie out on a date.”

Kim placed the popcorn on the table and Gerald pulled it closer to the couch.

“Don’t you think Ryan Gosling is hot?” asked Kim.

Gerald choked on the coke that he was drinking and started coughing.

“Oh? Okay ka lang? Masyado ka yatang excited uminom eh.” Kim placed her hands on his back and started patting it. After a few seconds Gerald stopped.

“Sorry.. Nagkamali ng pasok yung coke eh. Sa windpipe ko ata napunta.” Gerald looked at Kim with a smile. Kim’s hand were still on Gerald’s back. “Thanks.”

Kim noticed it and pulled it back. “Ayos lang.. So? Don’t you think he’s hot?”

And Gerald though he got out of that one. “I thought you hate guys?” Change topic..

“I do.. But that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate good looking guys di ba? Look but no touch ika nga..”

“Ah ganon..”

“Well? Hindi mo pa rin sinasagot yung tanong ko..”

Okay, changing the topic didn’t work at all. “Uhmm.. He’s okay..” Gerald said awkwardly. He’ll never say another man is hot, acting or no acting.

“Just okay? Wow, ang taas siguro ng expectations mo sa isang guy.”

“Siguro..” said Gerald.

Kim stopped asking him questions because she got too caught up in the movie. By the time the movie was done, Kim’s eyes were blood red and puffy.

“Awww Kim, ang cute mo naman.”

“Be quiet.. Tignan mo nga tong mga mata ko.. Singkit na nga lalo pang lumiit.”

“Cute ka pa rin naman eh..”

“Ha?”

“I mean, cute ka pa rin naman.. katulad ko.”

Kim looked back at the TV screen. “Do you believe in destiny?”

“What do you mean?” asked Gerald.

“Destiny. Yung bang, for every person in this world, there’s someone they’re destined to be with? Parang soul mates?” Kim turned back to see Gerald staring at her.

“I do. I believe that God created another person specifically for me to love , to be with and to cherish for the rest of my life.”

Kim couldn’t help but stare back at his beautiful eyes. “And have you found that person?” She felt her heart beating so fast.

“I have.” He gave her a smile.

Kim’s face fell. “How come you’re not with him right now?”

“Him?” ‘Oh yeah, I’m gay’ he reminded himself.

“Yeah.. How come you’re not with that person?”

“Hindi pa niya alam.” Gerald confessed. “Hindi pa kasi siya ready to accept me eh. That’s why I’m waiting. Nung una ko siyang makita, I knew na siya na talaga. Pero like I said, hindi pa siya ready. I can, and I’m willing to wait when the time comes at ready na siya to have a commitment. To be with me for the rest of my life.. I promise, siya ang magiging last ko.”

“Wow.. Ang swerte naman niya kung sino man siya. Kaya pala you’re not with anyone right now.”

“Actually, mas swerte ako kasi dumating siya sa buhay ko.” he stared at Kim’s eyes. “I’m willing to wait for as long as it takes.”

“Gusto ko siyang mameet kapag naging kayo na ah?” Kim smiled.

“I’m pretty sure you will.. What about you? Do you believe in destiny? Did you believe that ‘that guy’ was you’re one?”

“No..”

“No, you don’t believe in destiny?”

“No, I don’t believe that he was the one. Like I said, puppy love lang yun. Pero kahit na, sobra akong nasaktan. I don’t know if I can trust another person like that.”

“So do you think, yung guy na para sa iyo, is still out there?”

“Maybe, I don’t know... Baka mayroon lang talagang mga tao na destined para maging old maid forever di ba?” she laughed. “Baka yun ang destiny ko..” Kim smiled sadly, tears forming in her eyes.

Gerald held both of her arms and made her face him. “Kim, I don’t think so. You’re not going to be an old maid.” He gently placed his fingers on her face and wiped away her tears. “Maybe, it’s just not the right time. Who knows? Baka nasa tabi-tabi lang siya di ba? Waiting for his chance to be with you.” He put his arms around her and started her hair. “It’s going to be okay.”

After a few minutes, Gerald felt Kim’s even breathing. He looked down and found out she has fallen asleep in his arms. He tucked a stray hair behind her ears as he stared at her face. Never has he felt so blessed to have someone so special in his life. “I promise I will wait.” he whispered as he kissed her forehead.

Gerald gently adjusted his body. He doesn’t want to wake Kim but his back is really killing him. He slowly moved so that he can lie on the couch with Kim right beside him, her arms around him. “Just a few minutes..” he mumbled as he fell asleep with Kim in his arms.