Between Me and Him: Hot and Cold

[Short Fic] Between Me and Him

Hello everyone.. Thank you so much for subscribing and reading this fanfic!! I'm really sorry I haven't updated the chapters in months...

It's 2014! As a new year gift, here is the last chapter for the series!! Do look forward to my new fanfic (which I will write soon and hopefully can update more often ^^) 

 

******

[Your P.O.V]

The arms of the clock on my desk the number 2. It was that late already. Time fled, indeed. I shook my head, trying to refocus on my project. The past is the past, it cannot be changed anymore. 

I saved the documents on my computer and turned it off. "You've worked hard," I murmured, patting my beloved Macbook.

Lying on my bed, I glanced over a little dolphin plush toy, which he gave me four years ago. As promised, I opened it once I reached Indonesia, specifically, Jakarta. I was surprised seeing the plush toy inside the box, since dolphin is my favorite animal. Back then, I wondered what he meant. Well, I was in an age when I was so naive and innocent.. I didn't notice that a guy who gives a girl something that she likes to let her know subtly that he cares for her. 

This little dolphin is to accompany you. Hug it when you feel lonely, I will always be by your side :) From your dear oppa. I remembered clearly what was written on the card that went along with this dolphin. 

I hold the little dolphin closer to my heart. 

I was so stupid.

 

 

[ 2 years ago ] 

Distance may have separated us but our hearts were still as close as ever. Thanks to the modern technologies like social media, chatting and messenger, I didn't have to spend so much for SMS and calls to contact my BFFs Junho and Chansung and also Taecyeon oppa.

"How's your day today?" asked Junho one day on our group Skype chat.

My fingers danced on the keyboards typing, "Not bad.. no problem with new class and got nice friends :) ".

Well honestly I missed his 'nagging' and him helping me doing homework when I got difficulties. Now I had to do all the hard work by myself.

"How's life over there?" I pressed enter to send.

It was Chansung who replied, "well still the same.. you know I am in the same class with Junho again kkkkk" I giggled. These two were never apart. 

 

Talking with your best friends made you lost track of time. Without realizing it, two hours past already and I had to go to sleep because of school. Before I logged out, I saw Junho sending a link. I clicked it. It was a song.

 

Truly Madly Deeply. An old song, it was really nice. A smile formed in my face. Junho never failed to surprise me.

Since then, Junho always sent me songs before I logged out and went to sleep. It may be old school, but I didn't mind at all. I like listening to music, and he knew my music taste. I also sent him some songs in return. Group chats became one-on-one chats. More jokes. More laughters and silly emoticons. More things to talk about. Slowly, I started to see him in different light. 

 

 

[ Present Day ] 

Tossing on the bed with head full of thoughts, I couldn't sleep. After unsuccessful attempts to count the sheeps, I tried the most effective approach, music.

My hand reached out for the phone I put on the sidetable. Scrolling through the music app, I choose "Our Playlist" and pressed the play button. It contains all the songs Junho gave me from our chats, mixed with the songs I sent to him. It felt so good. Not long after the first song ended, I was off to the dreamland.

 

****

The sound of rain and water droplets dripped from the side of the umbrella accompanied me as I strolled my way home. Luckily I had one on standby. I hate running under the rain wetting my clothes and books.

I approached the bus stop through splashes of puddles. Unfortunately it was off office hour when all the people went home, packing Seoul streets with vehicles. The bus stop was full with office workers and adults shielding themselves from the downpour. And the bus I was waiting for had not came yet. 

Suddenly there was a ding from my phone. A KakaoTalk message.

"Hey.. How are you? It's been a while since I last saw you. You look so pretty in green ^^

Omo. No matter how much a stalker he was, how did he know I was wearing a green dress this very moment? My eyes started scanning people around me, and a tall figure stood out in the middle of the crowd waving his hand, all too familiar to me.

It was Taecyeon.

 

 

"Two hot chocolates please."

Nothing tasted better than a cup of puffy sweet chocolate in a rainy day in a warm cafe. Sitting across me was the oppa I haven't met for the past 4 years. He took a sip from his cup, then looked at me intently with those pair of deep-set eyes. I fidgeted with my hands under the table, uneasy. So many things happened, I felt awkward to start up a conversation. 

Taecyeon cleared his throat. "So, how have you been? How come you suddenly here in Seoul? For holiday?" A train of questions. Seems he tried so hard to break the ice between us. Since last year I literally lost any forms of communication with him. Well, he was the one who started it. 

 

 

[Taecyeon's P.O.V]

"I'm here to study. I got a scholarship to Hongik University, design major," she replied with small smile. Although 4 years has passed, she still looked the same, even more beautiful. Her long black hair now shorter framing her shoulders. I spotted light make up on her eyes. She has matured, no longer the timid innocent girl who has been running on my mind.

"Wow, amazing!! You know how hard it is to enroll in Hongdae? As expected of my little sister", I ruffled her hair like what I used to do. She blushed. To be honest, I knew what she was doing and up to these days. With her smart brain and flair in art, she made it to the famous university under highly competitive scholarship. My dongsaeng Chansung had been so kind to update me about her. But after that day, everything felt awkward. 

It was my fault. 

Reading novels and watching movies, expressing what you feel about a girl seemed easy peasy and romantic. However it was not the case with me. 

"Oppa, what have you been up to? Four years.. now you should be working right?" 

"Yeah, in my appa's company," I replied hesitantly. This was not what I want. Enough of the interrogation. I sipped the chocolate, its sweet aroma enters my smelling sense. "This drink reminds me of the good ol' days." 

"Hmm hmm. When I was still living here with my family, playing at your and Chansung's house, and your eomma making us delicious hot chocolate every time I come," she murmured with a sigh. Another awkward silence.

"Don't worry.. now that you are here in Seoul you can visit our house like what you used to. It's still the same old house, same street, same everything..." I paused, "I can ask eomma to make you her signature hot choco when you come. Or... should I do special delivery to Hongdae?" I said teasingly.

She giggled. The laughter I have not heard in years.

 

We continued talking about our good times in the past. After the rain stopped, I drove her home. 

In the car, I wondered what would it be if I was braver to speak my mind in the past. She asked me, snapping me out of my thoughts, "Oppa, do you have a girlfriend? You are an adult now and you are handsome. There must be a lot of colleagues falling for you." She grinned. 

That trap. "Hahahaha. Of course there are many girls, but no one is like you," So cheesy. I felt like hitting my head against a wall, but it was honestly what I feel. 

Stop it. She is someone else's now... that little voice inside my head kept on reminding me. I shrugged it off, "Kidding, kidding.. there's someone I'm meeting now," I must keep my pride, no matter what. If she knew the truth that I was not able to get over her... it's too embarrassing.

"Oh really? Is she pretty? Ah, seems oppa like the y type." I just laughed it off, faking a smile. We were sitting next to each other but why it felt like there was an invisible wall between us? 

The car was approaching Sinchon area. "Oppa, that one is my place. You can stop here, I can walk by myself," she slung her backpack on and clung her books tightly, ready to get off. I hit the brake to slow down the car and parked it near her apartment. "See ya, _____ (your name). Don't sleep too late!" 

She went out of the car and waved her hands until I could not see her anymore as I run the car. My chest felt tight, unconsciously tears rolled from my eyes. It was not winter time, but I shivered from cold. This is our relationship now. Only as good friends, an oppa and his dongsaeng. Could be nothing more. Not what I wished. Even after a year.. 

If I was more mature back then...

If I confessed my heart earlier that that person...

If I could turn back time....

.... will everything be different?

 

 

[Your P.O.V]

I unlocked my room key and threw myself on the comfy bed. It was unbelievable we could meet again after so long. The handsome Taecyeon oppa, the gentleman and cheesy Taecyeon oppa....

.... the oppa I once liked.

People said too much expectations only cause disappointment. Well it was so true. I admit, I liked him. His sweetness, his gentleness, even his trolling... He was too much --- annoying, but deep inside my heart, he was my prince. 

One scapped sheep is enough to spoil a flock. Only one photo shattered my whole fantasy. That photo of him, with a pretty girl in the same school uniform. His girlfriend. Side by side, as his profile picture on facebook. That photo that made me went back to reality. Back then, I hoped too much and it made my heart ached. There was no way he would like a plain and younger girl like me. 

So I moved on. 

Without realizing it, I've growing feelings for another person. He was always beside me, caring for me. I never realized until he started approaching me, step by step two years ago. And I was glad he did. He was not a joker, but he always able to make me smile. He was able to fill that emptiness in my heart. 

Well, everything was wonderful until one day Taecyeon oppa suddenly confessed to me one year ago via chatting, a year after I got together with that person. The old feels came back, confusing me again. But I had someone now, so with all the regrets and sorry I said no. Oppa was so angry, he unfriended me on facebook and refused to talk to me for weeks. I knew it was futile to try to talk to a stubborn person like him, so I stayed quiet. That was how I lost contact with him last year. 

 

****

It was almost that time of the year again.

The phone notification told me the next day was that special day. I tried to hide my excitement to no avail. I was still doing my daily activities but my heart beated with spirit and joy. 

After the lecture my class this day was over. I ran to the bus stop, excited to surprise him right on midnight. Getting off the bus, I sprinted to my place, with a wrapped gift inside my bag. Then I saw a familiar figure, leaning his back against the gate wall. 

I froze.

 

Was it real or was my eyes giving me illusions? Was it because of the euphoria?

I rubbed my eyes and blinked a few times. He was still there. It was not a dream. 

He turned his face to me, his beautiful fair face, decorated with signature eyesmile, calling my name.

I ran to him and he hugged me tightly. Two months passed and I missed him this bad already. He whispered to my ear, "Happy anniversary, my dear."

I looked up to him and smiled with pure joy. "I love you, Junho." 

 

 

-------------------------------- FINISHED -------------------------------- 

 

THANK YOU FOR KEEPING UP WITH ME!! ^.^ Thank you for subscribing, thank you for waiting. It's finally over, this story :) *exhales in relief*

What do you think of my fanfic? Please comment and give feedback so I can improve for my next story!! 

P.S. Do you like B2ST? Here's a treat for you my dear readers, a new fanfic