Between Me and Him: Far Away

[Short Fic] Between Me and Him

I'm sorry I've been really delaying this fic.. I got a lot of things to do and well, I haven't got time to write this one. Now that I have holiday, I open my account and noticed new subscribers and comment! Thanks to your support, I have the encouragement to keep writing this fic!

Sorry for waiting!! Here is the second chapter just for you. Enjoy :)

 

***

[Your P.O.V]

After looking left and right, I saw the familiar face among the crowd. Well, Taecyeon, with his giant body size was really easy to spot among the crowd. 

"Sorry oppa.. Am I late?" 

Taecyeon shook his head and smiled sheepishly. "Erm not.. not at all.." His large ears turned red. This guy.. although he had big body he had a cute heart inside. I smiled. "So, now, we watch? Have you bought the ticket?"

"!" He hit his forehead with his palm, looking so embarrassed. He sideeyed Chansung, who looked busy texting. "Psst, Chansung-ah.." Chansung didn't seem to notice. So he nudged the dongsaeng. Chansung gruntled, "Hyung, why don't you two just go first and buy tickets for four? I'm waiting for my friend here." 

Taecyeon gave up. "Alright.." He looked at me, and shyly asked, "Come with me?"

I trailed beside him. Thanks to him, we managed to pass through the crowd and reached the ticket booth. We picked 4 seats. I was about to take out my wallet from my bag when Taecyeon's small hand stopped me, "I'll pay." 

"No, it's okay," I didn't feel good having others paying for me. Taecyeon shook his head and handed the cash over to the ticketing staff. "Nah, it's okay. Don't worry about it," and threw a smile at you. I blushed. My heart raced. Oppa was a gentleman. He took the tickets and gestured me to follow him.

When we reached Chansung's spot, I saw a very familiar figure. "Junho-ya! Why are you here?"

He noticed me and ruffled his dark brown hair uneasily, "Chansungie asks me.. and well.. I love Harry Potter to death so I'll just tag along," he flashed his signature eye smile. I blinked. "Oh really?? I love Harry Potter too.. Why don't you tell me? We can talk many many things about it!!" 

 

[Taecyeon P.O.V]

"Ahh.. why is Junho here..." Of course I didn't say that out loud, as he was my dongsaeng's BFF. And now, instead of me chatting with her, it was Junho talking with her about Harry Potter. Ah. My heart.. I cursed inside.

I needed to do something. I cleared my throat.

Their conversation stopped, and all, including Chansung, looked at me. 

"Um.. we go in now? Since in the ticket it is said the show will start in about 10 minutes."

Junho answered, "Let's just wait here until the show started, shall we?" 

- - - -

Two and a half hours passed. The movie was interesting, but it would be much interesting if there were only me and her. Chansung was munching popcorn loudly beside me, while she sat between Chansung and Junho. . The romantic lunch was also ruined, since we all ended up eating in a fast food restaurant My plan was really ruined. I was devastated. The first date mission: failure. 

Only one thing left. I remember her birthday was just two weeks away. I need to prepare a gift. A special gift, just for her.

 

[Your P.O.V]

I glanced over the calendar on the wall. The month of July was almost over. That meant one thing: my birthday was getting closer. I was going to turn 14 years old in August 1st. It was a transition, for I was in my second year and next year would be my last step before high school. So far I managed to get my marks good in school, thanks to Junho and Chansung. However, to get to a high school was rather tricky.

"Dinner's ready!" Eomma’s voice brought me back from my train of thoughts. "I'm coming, eomma!" I put on my house sandals and went out to the dinning room. I sat on a chair beside appa, across eomma. There was only me, appa, and eomma in our family. Appa was a busy man he went overseas a lot of times. It was a surprise to see him in the house. His bespectacled eyes looked at me warmly and he smiled.

“I have an announcement for us, but first, let’s eat. How I miss your cooking, yeobo.” Eomma blushed. She cooked kimchi fried rice for us, one of her specialty. “You should be at home more often, appa,” I pouted, “I miss you.” He nodded.

Finished with the food, I waited for appa. Clearing his throat, he started. “The company I’m working for now has a partnership with an overseas country.”

“That’s good!” eomma answered.

“Yes, it is. Our company is developing bigger, but they need someone to supervise the company in other country. My superior chooses me. I, um, we, might need to move.”

I was getting curious. “Where?”

“Indonesia.”

My heart stopped. Recalling my geography lesson, Indonesia was some hour flight apart from South Korea, separated by oceans. It must be so different there. How about my school? And my friends?

Appa must had sensed my worry. He patted my shoulder, “It is indeed far away, but, I promise you, I will be home more often. For you. I will also take care of your school transfer and other things. The colleagues in Indonesia will help us.”

“When will we move, appa?”

“Next week.”

- - - -

I could not believe this. My time here would end in just a few days. I would move to a new country, far away from oppa, Chansungie and Junho my good friends. I found myself quite difficult to make new friends. How…

“Ya, are you okay?”

Chansung’s voice startled me. He looked at me with concerned eyes. “Are you daydreaming?”

“Um-um” I shook my head. Junho joined in, “Something seems bothering you. You are not like usual.”

I knew my friends would have sensed this too. I had no choice but to tell them.

“HAAH? NEXT WEEK?” Their reactions made me had to shush them. We were in our last day of class before the summer break. I did not want unwanted attention from the rest. I talked in a lowered voice, “Yes. Appa said we had to move.”

Chansung looked sad, “That’s too bad. And your birthday is coming too.. I wanted to celebrate it with you.” He sulked. Junho put his chin on his hand, thinking. “Hmm.. when is your flight?”

“On Sunday, around 10am.. why?”

“Do you mind if we come to the airport that day? To bid you farewell properly..” I felt a warm drop of water flowing from the corner of my eye.

 

[Chansung P.O.V]

I was surprised. She will move on August. She, who had been with us, part of our nerd herd, being our best friend since the start of middle school, right from the orientation day. I would miss her, her wit and cheerfulness.

A black car had been waiting in the car park, picking me up. I walked over with heavy heart and went in the passenger seat, finding Taecyeon hyung already inside, reading a comic book. He turned as I moved in, looking concerned. “Something happened today?”

I sighed. I decided to compose myself, thinking of the right words to say.

“Hyung.”

“Hm?”

“(your name) is going to move to Indonesia next week.”

I swore hyung’s expression was priceless. He stared at me for 3 seconds, closed his comic book and sighed. I knew it. His reaction would be like this. I might look ignorant, but I knew deep inside my heart, hyung had a feeling on her.

I felt you hyung, how to have someone close to you leaving in a few days...

- - - -

Since I told him that news, hyung had been very different. Not as cheerful as usual, more like... grumpy. Seems there was something inside his mind, but, knowing how big his pride is, I knew he would not tell me directly. 

I knocked on his room door. No answer, only some faint music heard from inside. I took a deep breath, bracing myself as I turned the doorknob and stepped in. 

"Until when will you lock yourself in, hyung?" 

He turned to me, looking empty. He stared back to the stereo set on the study table across his bed. I sat on the bed next to him. "She is leaving tomorrow.. I will come to her house tomorrow early morning with Junho to help out with packing and stuff. Don't you want to join?" 

Taecyeon hyung looked at me. Breathing out, he finally opened his mouth. "What am I supposed to do, Chansung-ah?" 

I tried to smile. "Well, she's leaving, but it's not like we cannot contact her anymore." He nodded silently. I peered his hand, he seemed to hold a box, already wrapped in a decorative paper. 

I could not take it anymore. Since when my confident and bright hyung became so small and sad? I shook his shoulder. "Why don't you come with us and give it to her? Say that it's an advanced birthday present?" 

"You're right. Why I can't think of that simple solution? Gomawo, Chansung-ah.."

 

[Taecyeon P.O.V]

I was crushed. The failed first date.. and now she would leave in a matter of days. And to think of that again, she didn't seem to notice my feeling from my messages to her. How was I suppose to do to make her notice? There was not much time..

"Why don't you come with us and give it to her? Say that it's an advanced birthday present?"

Being so smart sometimes made me think too much. "You're right. Why I can't think of that simple solution?" I was really grateful to my wise dongsaeng. "Gomawo, Chansung-ah..."

"Anytime," he put on an encouraging smile at me. 

Honestly speaking, she was different from the other girls I've ever met. Usually, whenever I sent romantic text messages they would squeal and not long after that, started leaving chocolates or cards on my table, giggling whenever I walked past. No, sometimes some random girls in my school just popped out of nowhere during break time or after school, shyly handing me a letter or a chocolate. 

Was it because our ? Ah .. right... she was still in middle school. Not many girls had matured and started to experience crush during that time. I made a wrong step approaching her. 

I hold the wrapped box in my hand closer to my heart. I hope this small gift might made her think twice. 

- - - -

As expected, there were quite many items. Luckily, most of them were already packed inside big boxes. All we need to do was just sealing them, labeling and moved some of them to the car. 

Her mom approached us. "Thank you so much for your hard work gentlemen.. It must be tough." 

"Don't mention it," I grinned. Sitting beside me were Junho and Chansung, wiping their sweat and gulping down cold water. 

She came to me with a glass of iced water. Feeling grateful, I thanked her and drank. Ah, it was really nice, having some water after a hard labour, and a smile from a beautiful girl.

"It's time. Let's go, (your name), boys."

Her mom and dad entered the car. "Eomma, appa, can I join in Taecyeon oppa and Chansung's car? I still want to talk with them.." I heard she pleaded. 

"Alright.. See you in the airport. Don't be late!" 

She ran a little towards our car. I gestured Chansung and Junho who was sitting in the center passenger seat to move. She opened the door and sat in.

"Welcome on board," I greeted her, smiling as wide as I could. I didn't want her to see me sad, although my heart felt like breaking apart. 

The journey to the airport was filled with uncomfortable silence. All four of us did not know what to say, lost in our own thoughts. I thought of cracking jokes, but with this atmosphere, it didn't seem appropriate. 

"Since you are leaving soon, is there any last words you want to say?"

She pouted, "Oppa, with last words you sound like I'm going to die.." I cut her, "No, no. Not that.. That's not what I mean.." 

Junho threw in an idea, "Hmm.. how about playing truth or dare? Well, just for fun.. and if there's anything you want to say, you just say it?"

Nice. "Alright.. so from who shall we start?"

"The one and only girl!" Chansung chimed in.

She chose truth. "To be honest, I don't want to leave you guys.. You are my first friends in middle school, and you are oppa I never had before," she confessed. "I wish it will not change..."

All of us fell into silence again. I continued, "So, now who's next?"

Going by clockwise rotation, the next was my dongsaeng Chansung. He chose dare, and we challenged him to open the car window and scream "I love you" to the nearby car. We all exploded with laughter. 

Next was me. "I choose truth." "Reveal it!!" demanded Chansung. "Wait! Wait!!" I took out my prepared gift and a card, then handed it to her. "Don't open it until you arrive in Indonesia, okay?"