ONE

LAST CHANCE

I drove my car which Charlie,my dad,  Bought me as my 16th birthday gift. It's a red mini Cooper that perfectly fits my taste...

 

(FLASHBACK)

 

 

I remembered that time that Mom, Melissa,  was so worried when she knew that  I'd learn how to drive.   She said she got carried away with her emotions and she flew from NYC to Seattle City. I got home and saw Mom arguing with Charlie at the Balcony of the house. It was an awkward moment for me seeing both of them fighting like some little children on the streets. I dropped my door keys on the table near the front door and  ran swifty to stop Melissa from hitting Charlie on his shoulder. I got Melissa's hand right before she could hit Charlie for the tenth time. 

 

 

"Mom!" I yelled. I was catching my breathe while a cool breeze of air  passed by. I dropped Mellisa's hand carefully. She was mesmerize by the situation and she could've been staring at my face unawarely. I removed my coat and place it on a chair while waiting for the two oldies come back to the reality. Then after awhile Charlie moved and went inside the house, turning towards the kitchen. 

 

" Hey, honey." Mom said, with composure. She smiled at me as we sat on a huge sofa on the side of the balcony. It was a rainy afternoon though and we could smell the cool  water falling from the sky. 

 

"Honey, you've grown up so fast.." Her soft voice lingers in the air.  I moved to my seat closer to her. her eyes were blurring in tears as she bites her lip to avoid dropping a tear. there was depression in her face. 

 

"Mom, why were arguing with Charlie? did he do something wrong?" I asked. I already knew the answer before she speaks.

 

"It just that, your dad makes you.. He.. " She took a deep breathe. I sat stiffly, waiting for her explanation.

 

" I know your a big girl now."

 

"Mom.-"

 

"..and soon you'll have your own plans for college." She broke me. I took a deep breathe as I crossed my arms in front of me.

 

"Mom, If your asking me to come with you, well I'm sorry. I'm not coming. "

 

"But I just wanted to be with you.-"

 

" NO!" I fired up. I took my coat and ran to my room.

 

 

I didn't know what I was thinking back then. I got scared of leaving Charlie alone. I know Melissa was a good mother, but not a good wife. And I hate her for that. She got married again two years after I was born and gave birth to a baby girl with her new husband. She was so selfish with me and Charlie. She just thought of her own happiness. She didn't want to leave New York. She left me with Charlie in Seattle. And I considered that as her biggest mistake in her entire life. She regreted it, but it's too late.

 

 

 

(Going back to reality)

 

 

 I pulled my car in front of Chae Young's house. She hopped in my car wearing her favorite coat and shoes that I gave her. Chae Young was my bestfriend; my sister and my guardian. she's one of the prettiest girl in O' Deale School.The most humble person i've ever known, the favorite of all. Charlie and Her dad were business partners. They run a company, successful in a way, but me and Chae young didn't care. we just live the life we want.

 

 

We got to school fifteen minutes before the bell rings. We parked near the Gymnasium where my other friends are waiting for us. It's kinda awkward whenever we arrived, we got the people staring at us, at my car. I wonder if they haven't seen it a million times? 

 

 

We walked along the gymnasium where we meet our first subject. 

 

 

We went to the girls locker room to change. I hate thursdays schedule really . For me, P.E at 8:00 in the morning is really not a good idea. We got back to the Gymnasium dressed. All the lights were on and I could see some costumes all around; colorful furry scarfs, heels, wigs, shiny dresses, make-ups, tux, coats, ties, and some casettes. 
 
 
 
"Oh my god, I think I know what's going to happen in the next five minutes." Chae Young whispered at me in an anxious tone. I looked at her behind me as a sign of my agreement. 
 
 
Mr. Hwong came around at last. Or should I say Ms? He's wearing his very fit PE attire with his Pink cap on his huge circular head. his face was similar to a Japanese model who performs Noh Theatre. Pretty funny though, that He's not even aware that every student in this school knows that he has a boyfriend living at his home. 
 
 
 
"Okay! Cha-chah! Good morning everybody! line up now, boys and girls." He yelled. Clapping his hands to wake-up minds. 
 
We were lining up in the middle of the gymnasium. Chae Young was behind me. I pulled her at the back of the line. we almost slipped on the shiny floor. we gigled  a little for that almost embarrassment.
 
 
 
"Okay everybody, today we're going to perform dances."
 
 
"I knew it." I heard Chae Young murmured.
 
 
"each one of you find their partners and when you're done, I'll tell what kind of a dance is assigned for you." Mr. Hwong said, in a melodic tone. 
 
 
"you must have an opposite partner, what I mean is, one girl, one boy. " He confirmed. everybody's moving and jumping in joy with their partners. I turned around to face Chae young but she's gone. I looked for her and I saw her with Siwon, our boy bestfriend. 
 
 
 
 
I studied everyone around the room and everybody has a partner; except for me. I felt anxious for a moment.