Chapter 1: Mistake

Insightful

 

"Remember that we need to be up early tomorrow Hyukjae-sshi." A insufferably soft voice rang out from behind him, the parental figure that he'd never had warned him not to order another drink. Hyukjae was reckless to say the least, if he was still able to remain stable and on his feet now, he figured that the morning wouldn't be any different, although he often forgot about the waves of nausea that would come over him once he had a hang over. 
 
Jung-ing-Soo, always there to restrain him from enjoying himself.
 
Pressing his lips against the glass that they were currently wrapped around, Hyukjae hummed into it in annoyance, surprised at the rather fluent noise that rang out because of it. Hyukjae wasn't a singer, no that was his Hyungs job. "Leeteuk." He bit out, rolling his eyes up to the other man, his brown eyes sharp and disrespectfully challenging, a complete contrast to the dimpled smile he knew so well. 
 
"I'm no light weight, i can cope." He hissed at him, and his elder could only give him the patient smile that had managed to keep Hyukjae as part of his team for so long. 
 
Burying his face back into his drink, reluctant to remain looking at the bitter sweet expression that Leeteuk always held, no matter what mood he was expressing his face remained the same, dimples and all. 
 
"Oh please Hyukkie." He cooed causing Hyukjae to slide further along the booth away from him in annoyance. "Despite your high tolerance we all know that you're a complete asshat when you have a hangover." He scolded him yet, when Hyukjae's pair of single lidded eyes lifted up, curious of Leeteuks expression when he said any kind of profanity, he was disgruntled to find that the older was still smiling profusely.
 
To say that Leeteuk enjoyed tormenting his dongsaeng was the understatement of the year and Hyukjae always felt threatened when anyone challenged his anger issues.
 
"At least i don't become an emotional wreck when i'm drunk." Hyukjae pointed out, scowling across the table to see if he had broken Leeteuks resolve.
Despite the others expression faltering for a moment, the smile remained and Hyukjae growled having thought he had struck gold. He remembered countless times where he had to drag a sobbing Leeteuk home on a night out, purely because the elder was crying one minute over the fact that some girlfriend had left him back when he was five, and the next he was sniffling over Hyukjae's new shirt because apparently 'the sky was so god damn beautiful.'
 
Leeteuk simply raised a brow at the agitated Hyukjae and that only added fuel to the fire as Hyukjae growled at him.
 
"I need some air." 
 
Hyukjae proceeded to tilt his head back to get the last remaining mouthful of soju, maintaining eye contact with his Hyung to show him that he had no remorse in having a  fourth bottle of the stuff and refrained from flipping the elder off as he staggered away from his seat. 
 
Honestly there was always the slight hint of banter between Hyukjae and Leeteuk. They had gone to school together and although Leeteuk was considerably older than Hyukjae, they had lived on the same road for a long enough while that they became friends. Hyukjae had always been supported of Leeteuks singing career even when no one was supportive of his own career choice, and up until this day he spent almost every day at his friends side, although his job was considerably less in the lime light he loved it to pieces and he wouldn't change things for the world. 
 
Besides the long hours he had to put in of course, leaving him in such a frustrated state from lack of sleep, more so than the chilled Leeteuk who wasn't even showing the slightest hint of stress, despite being in the same position as Hyukjae, both of them having to meet the same deadline to get things absolutely perfect. 
 
Barely swaying Hyukjae trailed his fingers along the wall, tracing the familiar pattern to the outside world, the busy city noise greeting him as soon as he found the fire exit and shouldered it open so he could escape from the stuffy club that was only making his frustration levels climb higher. He'd had anger issues every since he could remember and although he never really struck out at people unless he was confronted first, sometimes his frustration was coiled a little too lightly and provoked even by friendly torment Hyukjae sometimes just had to take a break. 
 
His parents had never been fully understanding of it, one of the main reasons why Hyukjae had never really gotten on with them. It was also one of the reasons put ahead why he shouldn't pursue his currently career, not only because they thought it was just a stupid hobby, but also because he had no such 'social skills' as they put it to work with other people.
 
Grunting to himself as he staggered along outside, intending to just lean his shoulder blades against the brick wall adorning the outside of the club, round by the bins where no one, even his annoying Hyung could find him. 
 
Hyukjae had successfully drawn in at least two breaths of clean oxygen that was beggining to calm his soul, eyes closed to the world and simply listened to things around him. He often took being solitary for granted, he spent all day surrounded by other people, and in close proximities at that, and so to be alone was something he sought after.
 
Unfortunately it was something that was short lived and he could already feel a growl building up from the pit of his stomach, in protest to the footsteps he could hear heading in his direction. 
 
"Jungsoo i swear if you've ing followed me out here..." He grumbled, childishly hunching his shoulders and turning his back to the noise, hoping if he remained positively anti-social then he would be left alone.
 
But instead the footsteps carried on, a weird shuffling sound that even his Hyung didn't emit. Cursing himself for letting his guard down he stiffened, listening in the dark because he didn't think he could bring himself to turn around and face a stranger, maybe if he stayed still enough the stranger would pass and he would go unnoticed and more importantly, left alone. 
 
Tense and ready to fight Hyukjae blew a sigh of relief when the footsteps stopped, however greeted with a perpetual tapping noise that had the hairs rising on the back of his neck. Wishing he stayed inside for some reason and battling with his inner self just to turn around and face his potential attacked, hyukjae drew in a breath that was half brave half panicky, completely thrown off guard when something hard was whipped against his lower leg.
 
Refraining from letting out any kind of indignant curse he instead settled for swinging around, backhanding the stranger, with a rather satisfying slap as his knuckles connected with the side of the male face.
 
Surprise flooded over him instantly as he took note of his attacker... Calling the small form male would be far fetched his body was pitifully undersized, and although the other person was currently drowned in an over sized hoodie he could tell that he was indeed male simply because of his stance.
 
Or his would be stance if he hadn't currently fell back, curling in on himself as he hit the ground. Hyukjae wondered why the normally smug sense of pride at defending himself was vastly being replaced by a sense of remorse.
 
Something was wrong, and at first he wondered whether the small form was perhaps just a child, but there was something else niggling at him.
 
Hyukjae's eyes ran over the currently slightly trembling body taking in the over sized, oddly matched clothes, the large hood shadowing the strangers features something that would have immediately struck suspicions within his mind but instead he grew curious of the others identity. He couldn't help but wonder why he felt bad for someone who had attacked him first in the first place. 
 
It took him a few more once overs of the small seemingly terror struck form for Hyukjae to realise quite what the problem was. 
 
The guys eyes were shut from what he could see, and although that was a normal fearful response for anyone who had just been punched in the face there was something off about the way that he didn't even try to lift his face up from the dark protection of his hood to peer at his attacked.
 
It was what the small guy held between a shaking clenched fist that made Hyukjae's heart sink even more, a white weapon that had presumably been the thing that he had been struck with.
 
But it was an unmistakable item that Hyukjae took a moment to recognise, not a weapon but a lifeline, even now the guy was relying on it as he dragged it out on the ground in front of his fallen form, the cane tapping against the front of Hyukjae's shoes a few times as the man gained a good understanding of just where Hyukjae was standing at a moment.
 
"Oh my god...i..." He started to utter, slapping a hand over his mouth, in complete denial that he had just struck out at a blind man who simple groaned in response and ran his small hand over his cheek, a feather light touch as if it was bruising already.
 
What have i done.
 
Guilt was something Hyukjae barely ever felt, he'd gotten into fights where he'd broken several noses but never had he felt as bad as this. Because the man cowering before him was helpless, and it was a complete accident that even Hyukjae had no idea how to point out to the man.
 
"Leeteuk!" He called, casting one more anxious glance at the man on the ground, scared to approach him in case he made things worse, running off for his friend, sobering up enough to realise the severity of just how awful and confused the man outside must be feeling right now.
 
 
 
 
"You did what?" Leeteuk practically burst, his usual calm demeanor breaking at Hyukjae's current outburst of a confession.
 
"I kind of accidentally punched a blind man and now i feel awful and now he's-"
 
Leeteuks curled his fingers around his younger friends elbow, dragging him along to the fire exit. "Did you apolagise?" He complained, treating and talking to Hyukjae as if this was some spat in the playground and Hyukjae had been mean towards someone smaller than him.
 
"No i... i didn't think..." 
 
"You said he was blind Hyuk, not deaf, an apology wouldn't have hurt!" 
 
Swallowing hard Hyukjae fell silent for once, trying to imagine what it would be like not to hear music, nevermind not being able to see music in action either, or being both blind and deaf at the same time, that had to take courage. 
 
Shoving his Hyung out the door in a desperate attempt to fix things Hyukjae pointed insistently at the spot where he had been standing. "He's-"
 
"Gone." Leeteuk completely his sentance, eyebrows furring as he turned to face Hyukjae, giving him a bemused yet worried expression. Either the poor guy had recovered fast, or Hyukjae was so drunk that he was beggining to imagine things. 
 
"I swear to you Hyung, there was a guy there... and now he's out there somewhere, alone." Hyukjae murmured, pointing out to the vast city, filled with beautiful lights of Seoul that he figured the other guy may have never witnessed in his life.
 
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A/N: Hi hi hi guys ^-^
I've been wanting to write this for a while but i couldn't think of a decent plot.
Slightly worried if any of the events may or may not offend people so i apolagise in advance.
-hides-
Sorry that this chapter is short, Donghae's point of view is coming up in the next chapter
Also don't panic i'll update my other fic at some point... Maybe. Yes.