Caged Bird

Guardian

 

Sungyeol's whole body shook. His mouth felt like it had begun to decay from the venom it spat at Sungjong moments ago.

Miserable, selfish, spoiled little brat. It makes your face look chubby. Starve yourself.

"He deserved it. He deserved it. He deserved it," he whispered repeatedly. The top bunk was cold and uncomfortable, just like the rest of the day would be for him if he didn't apologize to Sungjong immediately. He sprung up in bed, causing him to hit his head on the ceiling. "!" he cursed, rubbing his head in frustration. When the was it a good idea to put the tallest member on the top bunk anyway?! 

He hopped to the ground and paced a few times. He had to apologize to Sungjong, but what was he supposed to say? Sorry you don't eat? Sorry for worrying? Sorry I brought it up at all? There was nothing Sungyeol could really say to mend the situation without sounding like a complete doof (as usual). He tapped his foot and bit his lip impatiently.

"What if I don't want to apologize?" He thought aloud. The possibility fluttered about the room like a distant butterfly, slowly gaining confidence until it erupted into a herd of elephants stampeding through his mind. He crossed his arms and flopped down on Myungsoo's bunk, deciding to embody the immature punk that the public thought him to be. "Here we go again..." he mumbled dejectedly. He wouldn't go to Sungjong first, he couldn't. According to Woolim, he was supposed to be ignorant. He was supposed to be naive, reckless even. That was the image they've chosen for him. 

He liked it at first, being able to say dirty things and act childish without being penalized. Suddenly it was as if everyone around him was egging on his bad behavior, encouraging him to act as he pleased. But when the others started to envy his freedom, Sungyeol was too involved with his persona to realize what he'd become. He was completely blind of their bitter ways. 

No one laughs at his rude remarks anymore. No one pays any attention to the practical jokes he spends hours creating. Somewhere along the line, Sungyeol's façade stopped adapting to reality. He'd become a character, feeling as if he was living life through someone else's eyes entirely. Someone he doesn't know at all

The other members misunderstand the character as being inconsiderate and awkward. He can't sing or dance as well as them, and the company refuses to let him rap because of his choding ways. He's not the powerful leader and he's not the aegyo-filled maknae. Woolim made it very clear that Sungyeol was specifically selected to be Infinite's good-looking court jester. And after a while, as the other members became known for their talents, Sungyeol was often left behind in their dorm like a caged bird. 

Of all the members, Myungsoo was the only one who could see through the child-like persona Infinite had forced him to create. He's the only one who sees Sungyeol as something more than some random little boy who's good at being an idiot. That's why Sungyeol loves him so much. Actually, Myungsoo is the only member who can see through anyone's the bull in the dorm... including Sungjong's. 

How could that little brat snap on him so easily? Sungyeol grit his teeth; the anger was back. There would be no apology. He shut his eyes for a moment. The door creaked opened and a sniffling boy crept his way over to the edge of Myungsoo's bed.

"Com'ere, Myung-ah." Sungyeol said softly without opening his eyes. The boy in black curled up next to Sungyeol, clutching his t-shirt and sobbing quietly to himself.

"I never should have told," he said between sobs, "Don't stick up for me like that. I don't deserve it. I don't deserve you." Each of the poor boy's sobs pierced Sungyeol's heart like an ice pick. "I'm bad, Yeollie. I'm just bad is all." Sungyeol grit his teeth harder and wrapped his arms around Myungsoo as securely as he could.

"Stop that." He scolded. "You made the right decision and you know that. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise." Sungyeol tightened his grip, remembering when Myungsoo had first broken down about Sungjong's disorder. He blamed himself then too. "He's doing this." He spat suddenly. "It's his fault." A tear escaped Sungyeol's eye, surprising both boys. "He needs help, Myung." We all do.


[AUTHOR'S NOTE]

Hey there! Short chapter, but I think there's a lot there.

I just want to say that I'm really excited to have such intelligent and thoughtful subscribers. Like, really you guys are either reading my mind or bringing up points that I've never even thought about. It really inspires me... YOU really inspire me!! Thanks so much for being so vocal, I'd love to hear more about what you guys think about Yeollie's point of view on the whole incident. Do you still think Sungyeol went too far at breakfast? Are there any similarities in him and Sungjong? Is Myungsoo right to blame himself? I ask only because I know you guys are probably already thinking of answers! Don't feel pressured to respond, I just want to get you thinking about the big picture of the story, but it would be really cool to get a discussion going.

I sound like my English teacher ohmygod I never thought this would happen to me. This is what you guys do to me. Sheesh.....

But speaking of English, I need to go do my homework for that class, so yeah, see you guys in the comments, and if not there then definitely at my next update! <3