Onew time

Taebaby

Minho groaned as Taemin's crying that had died down started to pick up again.

“Shh,” he coaxed as he bounced the baby in his arms. Minho tried walking around the room and bouncing at the same time, but it didn’t help. Taemin’s high pitched wailing showed no sign of stopping, and he lay limply against Minho’s shoulder as Minho patted his back and the hair at the back of Taemin’s head.

“Here, let the best appa in Hello Baby try,” smirked Key, reaching out as Minho passed Taemin to him, giving up.

“Oh my Taemin, oh my baby, what’s wrong love?” cooed Key as he received him, hodling his close and trying to be heard over Taemin’s sobbing. “Tell Key appa what’s wrong,”

Key frowned as Taemin didn’t seem to hear his voice, fat wet tears rolling down his chubby cheeks and dripping onto his shirt.

“Oh my love,” Key simpered, wiping away the tears with his hand and noting how warm Taemin was getting. He really was working himself up.

“Who knew that for someone who never cried when he was grown up, when he’s a baby he’s just full of liquid,” sighed Jonghyun, who was getting a small headache from the loud baby crying.

“He’s probably over tired,” stated Key, trying to get Taemin to rest against his shoulder while Taemin struggled away from Key’s hand, screaming into his ear.

“Maybe he should lie down,” suggested Onew. “Sometimes if you put babies down, they calm down and just sleep.”

“Oh my Taemin, oh my baby,” repeated Key, kissing Taemin’s head. “But where? Do you think we should put him in his bed? Do you think that’s dangerous? He’s only got a single. I’m scared he’ll roll off. We really need a crib.”

“Jinki hyung’s got a big bed,” piped up Minho, trying to ignore the giant wet patch on his shoulder. He was sort of afraid what might be in there apart from tears.

“My bed?” spluttered Onew. “B-b-b-“

“Please hyung?” said Key as Taemin’s shrieks started getting louder and hoarser. “I don’t know how much longer of this we or Taemin can take! He needs to sleep, and our beds are all too small. If we put him in the middle of yours, that’s the safest option. Please hyung!”

Onew sighed. “You know I won’t say no.”

Eager to get Taemin down, Key walked to Onew’s room while the others followed.

“Let’s rest now baby, I know you’re so tired, I know, I know,” comforted Key as he laid Taemin down in the middle of Onew’s bed. “I know, I know.”

Key wanted to tear his hair out as the crying didn’t stop at all. If anything, Taemin looked like this was making him even more upset. Hiccups racked the small body, and Taemin was flushed.

“Come on aegi, come on,” urged Key, patting Taemin’s stomach to try calm him down. “Please shhhhhhh…”

15 more minutes of wailing and the members were close to tears themselves, and had descended into silence. Key had given up talking to Taemin and just continued patting his stomach which didn’t seem to work. Onew looked distraught, Jonghyun had a real headache now and Minho wondered if anyone would notice if he ran away from the dorm and didn’t come back until Taemin was normal again.

“How strong are his lungs?” joked Jonghyun weakly. “If only he could have this sort of strength when he’s singing!”

Onew frowned and elbowed Jonghyun.

“What?” Jonghyun whined.

“Taemin is a great singer,” Onew defended.

“I didn’t mean it like that hyung,” sighed Jonghyun. “Except his crying is giving me a headache. I’m going to get some painkillers and lie down.”

“What? You’re leaving us to deal with him?” asked Key, frazzled.

“Well it’s not like I’m doing much at the moment anyway!” retorted Jonghyun as he walked out of the room.

Onew sighed again, frustrated.

And then he got an idea.

“This isn’t working,” he announced. He got on the bed and carefully scooped Taemin up, the first time he had held Taemin today. Taemin was a lot lighter than he thought he would be. He sat on his bed against the headboard, Taemin supported on his chest as he rubbed Taemin’s back, one hand on Taemin’s .

“But hyung, we’ve tried holding him,” said Key, looking like he was close to snapping.

“Go heat up some milk,” said Onew. “That always helped normal Taemin.”

Key nodded, glad that there was another possible solution instead of feeling helpless and scurried out to prepare some.

“Minho, go change your shirt, you’ve been looking so uncomfortable for ages,” he told Minho, and Minho shot him a grateful look before striding out of the room.

Onew let out a breath as they were left alone, Taemin’s crying muffled in his shirt.

“Oh Taeminnie,” he hummed. “We love Jason Mraz don’t we, don’t we…”

Taemin fisted his little hands into Onew’s shirt as Onew rubbed his cheek against Taemin’s soft hair and began to sing.

“I won’t give up on us.. even if the skies get rough… I’m giving you all my love, still looking up..” he sang softly. It had been Onew’s solo song in their SHINee World Concert last year, and was still one of his favourite songs. He figured it was soothing enough to be used as a lullaby, but he wanted the other members out in case they made fun of him if it didn't work.

“And when you’re needing your space…to do some navigating…I’ll be here patiently waiting,” he continued singing. “To see what you find….”

Onew felt his heart melt at Taemin’s sniffles, who’s crying had diminished into whining as Onew rubbed his back soothingly. He felt so special that his singing was calming Taemin down.

“Coz even the stars they burn, some even fall to the earth, we got a lot to learn, God knows we’re worth it… no, I won’t give up.” Onew crooned, not even sure what verse he was on but just carrying on for the comforting rhythm and tune. He rocked them slightly, and Taemin’s whines started to get quieter, and Onew felt Taemin’s body start to relax.

“Omo hyung, you’re a genius,” whispered Key when he came back, his eyes widening at the sight and the sound of Onew’s deep singing and Taemin’s little sleepy squeaks, a lot more preferable to the screams that saturated the air a few minutes ago.

“Isn’t he so sweet,” said Onew, motioning Key to give him the bottle. Key handed him the bottle, still staring at Taemin’s puffy face that didn’t have angry tears rolling down them. Key noted how Taemin’s eyes were half lidded and thanked the lord that Taemin was finally looking like he might sleep.

“I might have called him sweet an hour ago before he turned into a little banshee,” said Key, gently wiping away a stray tear from Taemin’s cheek.

“Taemin is always sweet, look at what a good boy he’s being,”  cooed Onew.

At the interruption of the singing and Key’s voice, Taemin started whining again.

“Still a good boy?” asked Key as Onew shushed him and gave him his bottle.

“He’s just tired, of course he’s a good boy. Look how well he listened to my singing,” Onew said, looking at Taemin looking back under heavy eyelids.

“Hmph,” Key snorted. “You’re such a softie when it comes to Taemin.”

Onew raised his eyebrows, not breaking eye contact with Taemin since he felt guilty if he did. “Aren’t we all?” he questioned. “Since you know, he’s the – baby – of our group,” he joked.

Key rolled his eyes at Onew’s joke.

Taemin whimpered against his bottle.

“Okay, okay, hyung will sing again, hyung is sorry for stopping, Your Highness,” Onew reassured. “When I look into your eyes… it’s like watching the night sky ..or a beautiful sunrise..well there’s so much they hold… “

Key found himself resting against the pillows as he watched Onew gently rock the infant and watch Taemin’s eyes slowly close as the milk steadily disappeared, Taemin’s cheeks working rhythmically. Coupled with Onew’s soothingly rich voice softly singing such a sweet tune, Key found himself hypnotised, and started to drift off along with Taemin.

 

“Key. Kibum.”

Key jerked his head up from the pillows and sat up, confused. “Wha-?” he asked, opening his eyes to see Onew smiling brilliantly, his eyes in little crescents.

“Yah, just go to your own bed, I don’t need two babies sleeping in mine,” he teased.

Key looked down to see Onew holding an empty milk bottle and Taemin zonked out in his arms.

“Oh my god, I’m sorry,” Key laughed as he lifted the covers as Onew gently laid the sleeping baby on the bed. Key tucked Taemin in as best as he could, Taemin not stirring once.

“He’s so tired,” said Onew affectionately. “Go to bed Kibum, take a nap.”

Key nodded, shuffling out of the room.

On the way to his, he could see Minho sleeping in his room, which wasn’t surprising since Minho slept at every opportunity. Jonghyun was lying down on his bed too, probably because of his headache.

Key pushed the door open to his room and jumped on his bed, ready to go back to the land he had just been woken up out of.

 

Onew didn’t know whether he should keep watching Taemin or not, and he was getting sleepy too. Onew loved sleeping, and was propped up on his side patting Taemin’s stomach as he watched Taemin’s sleeping face and felt the baby’s deep breaths.

Onew grinned. “You still look the same Taeminnie,” as he yawned himself. He gently kissed Taemin on the cheek and laid on his back. He was pretty sure you weren’t supposed to sleep with babies in the same bed in case the adult crushed the baby. He made a mental note to go sleep on the couch as his eyes slid shut.

 

Onew’s woke up sleepily as he heard the members voices talking in the living room, and more male voices.

He shot up immediately, looking at Taemin to make sure he was still sleeping as he got off the bed and saw him peacefully asleep. Onew smiled and gave Taemin’s hair a little before fixing the covers slightly. He carefully closed the door and made his way to the living room.

“Aaah, Gyeong shik hyung,” he complained as he saw his tall manager’s back, ready to ask him what the hell they were going to do.

The manager turned and Onew gulped as he saw who had come.

“Anyeong haseyo Lee Soo Man CEO,” he said quickly, bowing as low as he could.

 

 

A/N Sorry sorry sorry for the late update! I have been struggling with inspiration and what the frick this story is actually about. But now I know! More updates to come very soon, I promise! :D

 

Please tell me what you think! :D