o19

► DANGEROUS GAMES
a moment
 
Sohyun saw her mother peaking from the kitchen yet again, trying to capture the scene of her teenage daughter tending to Kim Jongin’s wounds. Initially Sohyun got her mother to complete the task but Mrs. Kwon had ulterior motives so she used the excuse that she needed to work on a very important project.  What that project was or if it even existed, Sohyun would never know.  Sohyun noticed the tensed yet comfortable expression on Jongin’s face while she cleaned his head with a damp towel. It  made her a little uneasy, even when thinking back on how she embraced him when she would have never thought to do such a thing, to him, in a million years. She began scolding herself and accidentally took it out on Jongin’s head.
 
“Be careful!” He snapped. Sohyun flinched and apologized. She had insisted Jongin go to a hospital just to make sure he didn’t have a concussion but he would not hear any of it. His head wound was only a scratch with a popped vein. Mrs. Kwon explained that veins tend to bleed a lot but no real damage was done.
 
“You should also let my mother do a cranium exam, just to make sure…” She sat down, accidentally brushing up against Jongin and then scooting away apologizing. “Tonight was truly a crazy night, yeah?”
 
“You…” Jongin trailed off, his expression grim and worrisome. He hardly spoke when they got to Sohyun’s house.  “…never mind.”
 
“Tell me!” Sohyun pleaded, unexpectedly clinging onto Jongin’s arm.
 
Jongin slightly turned his head and looked at her, but said not a thing. Sohyun dropped her jaw and let go quickly, apologizing, hoping she wouldn’t get told off or anything for touching him.
 
Seems like you got a little too comfortable. She thought to herself, at the same time touching her face to make sure it wasn’t red but if it wasn’t then, it was the moment she noticed Jongin still staring at her.
 
“What?” She asked looking away, hoping to break the eye contact but she could sense Jongin’s eyes burning a hole in her skull. Then she heard a slight laughter come from him and she instantly faced him.. “You’ve been acting really weird all day.”
 
Jongin swiped the smile off his face as best he could. Without looking he interlocked his hands with Sohyun who instantly tried pulling away. Sohyun’s face turned red and her heart began to race. Jongin’s hands were pretty gentle.
 
“What-what-what-what are you doing?” She tripped over her own words and her voice began to shake. She kept her head turned to avoid Jongin’s eyes but he had been doing the same, not sure what he was doing as well, but he didn’t have an answer.
 
“Just for a moment. Let’s stay like this.”
 
She turned her head and looked at him to understand what was going on in that unpredictable mind of his.  He too, knew he was acting out of character, but his brain had no control over his natural responses. He wanted to hold her hand so he was going to hold her hand.
 
“Hard candy anyone?” Mrs. Kwon entered the living room area enthusiastically with a bowl of hard Korean candy. The candy scattered to the floor as soon as she saw the stance Jongin and Sohyun were in. “Omona…”
 
Sohyun jerked herself away from Jongin and flew herself into another couch.
 
“This. Did not. Happen.” She declared and decided to leave the room. 
 
►►►
 
Jongin fell onto his bed and embraced his blankets, rolling into them and stretching all over his small bed. He smiled to himself. He was smiling a lot more lately, and he really couldn’t explain it.
 
“Bastard, are you having fun?”
 
He rolled to his side, the smiles fading in his dark room. G-aim. The Reaper. Who were they?