o17

► DANGEROUS GAMES
online/offline
 
Wangeonni: Do you have a girlfriend?
Kai: What?
Kai: Uh. No. Why?
Wangeonni: DON'T ACT SO SHY! You know why~ ^^
Kai: Don't be disgusting.
Wangeonni: How is this disgusting? I'm a girl, you're a boy.
Kai: Are you really ok with online dating?  It's so much different than dating in real life.
Wangeonni: I know. However, I'm ok if it's you. I only ever log on just to talk to you.
Kai: Me too, I enjoy our conversations.  However, this is suddenly complicated. I think online dating is tacky and not only that, I think my heart is wandering elsewhere.
Wangeonni: Is there...a girl that you like?
Kai: Perhaps.  I don't know if I like her or not.  I do know that she's really dimwitted.
Wangeonni: Your standards must be really low in real life then.
Kai: Don't judge me.
Wangeonni: Well for me I guess I can relate. There is a guy with potential, but he's an .  Still, I've been seeing him in a better light these days. He has his charms about him.
Kai: Jealous.
Wangeonni: Don't worry~ There's no way I could fall for a grimalkin.
Kai: ...............a what?
Wangeonni: Ha ha.  It's just a nickname he's famous at my school for.
Kai: Can I ask you a personal question?
Wangeonni: What is your personal question?
Kai: The day you got stiches...
Wangeonni: You're seriously weird. It's been two weeks already.
Kai: I'm just worried. Were you in a accident?
Wangeonni: Worried were you~~~~ Well in that case I can tell you. To be honest I almost lost my life that day!
Kai: Really?
Wangeonni: Really! It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. I didn't want to tell you because of this website's prank on us and you might start taking it seriously. Korea has bad drivers.
Wangeonni: You still there?
Kai: It was a car?
Wangeonni: Really now, do I need to spell everything out for you? Of course it was a car! My accident was due to some bastard's reckless driving and I got hurt in the process. What else would it have been?
The Reaper: I am relieved that my Jaguar did not touch you, even though my intent was to bump you a little~ Oops.
 
 
Sohyun brought her hand up to her gaping mouth. There was no mistaking it.  Without mentioning what type of car it ever was, it was hard to identify what had just happened as a coincidence. If The Reaper really was the cause of her almost “car” accident that day, then they really knew where she lived. And she really was a target. And her life really was at risk.
 
►►►
 
Sohyun wore denim high waist shorts and a low cropped red sweater with flat designer sneakers. Her mother transitioned into another fangirling fit when she found out Sohyun was going to meet up with Jongin at a library.
 
“You can’t let this one slip away, dear.” Mrs. Kwon proclaimed making Sohyun just about gag. She didn’t see anything particularly outstanding about her outfit that day, nor was she satisfied with the way it faired with her hair that was still short, choppy and only reached down to her ears. Sometimes Sohyun wished she could be Hyuna, or maybe just have a hint of the girl’s beauty. But Sohyun had a life. And life was not fair.
 
“Sulli has been admitted to a behavioral clinic.” Jongin announced to Sohyun, somewhat grim, as he slouched over the group table. Sohyun sat at the corner of the table across from him, pretending to be interested in a book about Laws of Physics. She was actually distracted by the message she saw the night before and could not stop thinking about it.
 
I am relieved that my Jaguar did not touch you, even though my intent was to bump you a little
 
He knew where she lived. And he almost had her killed.
 
Jongin could tell Sohyun wasn’t paying attention to him or what she was reading because the book was upside down. He continued watching her, still in disbelief that this idiot was supposed to be the cool and charming Wangeonni he grew fond of on G-aim. He knew it for sure, that she was that character. Everything he asked online matched up to what had happened. What did it mean that he and Sohyun were connected in such a twisted way?
 
Taking the book away from Sohyun, he asked, “Why are you so dressed up today?”
 
She snapped at him but realized her book was indeed upside down. “Do I look dressed up to you?”
“Well. You.  Just look…different. Better dressed.”
 
Sohyun looked at him lamely. “What the hell are you trying to say, exactly, Jongin?”
 
Jongin hid a smile under his arm. He didn’t know what he was trying to say either. Wangeonni, if he thought about it, she was a lot like Sohyun after all, but what would he do knowing they were the same people? Sohyun was now his physical proof that the “Target” ordeal was more than real, and the website was playing games.  His face hardened from anger but he found himself smiling again. Wangeonni was head over heels in love with him, was she not?
 
“Jongin, if you don’t stop smiling like some creeper…”
“Anyway. Now that we’ve settled everything with my grades and Sulli is in mental jail, where do we go from here?”
 
Sohyun sighed and finally shut her book completely. Jongin watched her carefully; her face too void of expression to understand and her gestures were sullen. 
 
“I’m going to hang out with Hyuna. She’s having problems with her boyfriend and lately we haven’t talked to each other much considering I’ve been busy helping you.”
 
“That’s a cute excuse.”
 
Sohyun shot Jongin a nasty look. “Because of you I’m slightly behind on my own grades and Hyuna is pissed with me.  However, I can forgive you since the Jeju Island trip isn’t too far away from now, and I can do SoAh bonding then.”
 
Jongin began balancing himself in his chair, reluctant on asking his next question.
 
“You’re going on the class trip?”
“Duh. Everyone does.”
“Not me.”
“Well you’re a nobody, Jongin, that’s why.”
 
He dropped his seat flat on the ground and looked at her. Some harsh words she was spilling at her so called “soul mate”.
 
“Well maybe I might go this year.” He snapped. Sohyun glared at him menacingly.
 
“Yeah?  And who would you hang out with, another one of your crazy psycho girlfriends?”
Jongin smiled. “No. There’s someone else I had in mind.”
Sohyun smiled as well. “Who? An imaginary girlfriend?”
 
He had the urge to call her a nasty name a time or two but Jongin held it back. Sohyun noticed the tensed look on his face after her remark and she felt like maybe she stepped out of bounds.
 
“So…is there an actual girl you like?” She asked.
 
“Hmm…can’t say really. I have an online girlfriend.”
“Online?” Sohyun chuckled, “Jongin-ah…I never took you to be that type of person. This is quite the surprise!” She laughed some more.
 
“Funny you say that. She’s my ideal girl, actually. We’re alike when it comes to dealing with idiots like you.”
 
The look on her face was astounding.  She was amused but at the same time nervous. Was she starting to see the connection as well? “Oh sure. You’ve totally found your soul mate online. However that “girl”, for all you know, could actually be a 40 year old erted man.” She was hopeless.
 
“Could be.” Jongin agreed. “I don’t mind. I still like her.”
 
“Weird.”
 
Jongin couldn’t help but laugh. It was the first time he had ever been in such a funny situation it was almost unbelievable. Sohyun found Jongin’s strange behavior odd yet endearing. 
 
He’s totally gone crazy.