Sunset Drops

Our Timeless Memories

She glowed like the sunset on his back porch- her pale cheeks painted a slight pink as she breathed the sunshine in deeply. 

Joohyun, this lovely girl's name was Seo Joohyun. And she had been visiting him every day for the past three months- at the same time every afternoon in order to give him some tea. Yi Fan managed to recall that much as he stared intently at her closed eyes and radiant smile. 

He watched her open her eyes slowly, contemplating the last rays of the sun before running into his house and returning quickly with two mugs of steaming tea. But she didn't offer them to him, instead holding them up to the sky- standing as tall as she possibly could on her tiptoes. 

"What are you doing?"

"Letting you taste sunshine."

Yi Fan smirked a bit at her childishness, the tea would probably just be cooling rather than soaking in any sunshine as she said. But he didn't say anything and instead waited patiently, settling comfortably into the reclining seat. After about five minutes, she brought the cups before him- placing one of the still warm mugs into his waiting hands and sitting down across the table. "Try it," she said as she stared intently into his eyes.

He took a sip and immediately, he felt as if he were being thrown back- a force of a dozen winter storms hitting him across the face. The sweetness on his tongue was so familiar, so nostalgic- he was sure that he had tasted it before. He couldn't breathe- all he heard was tire screeches and a loud scream. Smoke filled his lungs and Yi Fan clawed at his throat blindly in an attempt to get away. Next thing he knew, he was bent over on the ground- sobbing his eyes out as Joohyun hugged him, whispering comforting words into his ear.

It was as if he were on a beach, listening to the gentle waves that caressed the shore. He felt someone's hand slip into his- their fingers interlacing so perfectly; he looked down at his hand- there was nothing there. No hand to fit perfectly in his, no fingers that filled the gaps between his. 

"What happened? Are you okay?" Concern riddled Joohyun's soft voice. "I was so scared. I'm sorry."

"Have you ever given me that kind of tea before?" he asked her imploringly. "I have tasted that sweetness before. I am sure of it."

Joohyun seemed a bit shocked as she heard his words, her eyes widening and then softening as a small smile drenched in sorrow graced her lips- her eyes begging him to say more. But he had nothing to say. "No. That was the first time," she said- disappointment evident in her tone.

"It tasted like sunset drops."

"I know- I used to drink it often, my friend liked it too."

"Oh right, that friend- what did he go by again?"

"Kris."

"Oh yes yes- Kris. Do you still visit him now? You talk about him often."

"Of course I do. Every day." 

"Ahh- I gotcha. Have you gone to see him today yet?

"Yeah...I have," said Seohyun, her eyes staring softly at his features. The sun had already sunken below the horizon and the cool night air was beginning to take on the scent of wet grass. Yi Fan's eyelids began to feel heavy as he lay on his back- her sweet voice lulling him to the land of dreams, and he was on the brink of sleep until he felt a hand ghost along his cheek- the slightest touch of the wind. His eyes shot open and looking over, the spot that Joohyun had once occupied was empty- her mug of tea on the table cold. 

 

"Why do you always seem to vanish when I look away?"

"What are you talking about? I don't vanish."

"You never let me really say goodbye."

"Don't," she muttered under her breath.

"Huh? I just want to say a proper farewell and ask if you're going to come back, that's all."

"I will come back, you don't have to ask."

"But-"

"No. It's fine alright? You don't have to say any of those goodbyes or anything. I want to be able to come and go as I wish."

"Um- sure?"

The pair were talking in his room and every time she laughed at his jokes, he would turn a deeper shade of red. He was drinking tea as she sipped on a cup of water- an unopened book in her lap. He couldn't have imagined being able to talk so comfortably to her just a few months ago- at that time, he had somehow- if he recalled correctly- made her cry.

But he had somehow gotten lost in her eyes in the past months, in a different way than with other girls. Joohyun was elegant and demure- her emotions as complex as a maze. All of a sudden, their fingertips brushed as she put her hand down on the bed- electricity shot up through his spine as he visibly jolted.

She apologized softly and attempted to hide her giggles as he rubbed the nape of his neck.

She began to read her book and he admired the way the sun fell perfectly upon her pristine features- if it wasn't crazy, he would have sworn that wings were growing from her back. She seemed that god-sent. 

Where did a girl like her come from? Heaven?