After the chaos

Children of the Calm Morning

Along the day, the riots slowly started to cease, by dint of dead bodies, fights and losses in the two sides. As elusive as a blooming cherrytree flower, the patriotic fever has completely vanished away. Father and the other leaders of the Streets Army and the Peace Guardians has ordered the initiators to be chased down so they would get an exemplary, and a reward would be given to anyone who would sell them. He does not know that his dear little daughter has been with them all along... I am sure they won't find them. Yunho and Yoochun are too smart and wise for that and, most of all, they have been trained their whole lives for the revolution. I know that blow up won't be their last one...

I went back home at night. Seong Ah was worried. Mother has turned mad. As they saw I was not coming back, everybody has thought I had been passed out in the riots. I have lied and pretended I had been able to fly away and to hide in the forests around the city. Everybody believed me since younger, Jong Woon and I used to be sent for a walk in theses forests, with other school mates. We were taught to respect and protect the nature, and we were singing songs in the glory of Our Revered President's father, who was ruling then.

I won't ever say Our Revered President again. Yeon Hee is dead. One of her nannies has came to give us a letter that was announcing that, the day after. She has been blocked in the middle of the rioters and the Streets Army does not make any difference : they are killing randomly, as long as a rebel bunch is formed, they don't pay attention if there are lost persons among them. I have learned that Kyung Jae was okay. He was at the library when the fire has been launched and he has left the University when the first gunshots have been heard. At the city hall, where he has took refuge, there was a bomb shelter and that's where he was hiding, with his nannies and little sisters. But the mayor has been shot by rioters. His parents will soon get more important duties. I guess they will expect more from their son now.

For a whole week, I have been sick. The grief to have lost my best friend has destroyed me. I didn't want to eat nor to drink. Unceasingly, I was crying. Kyung Jae has sent a letter to me, to tell me a wake has been organized for her and the other students who died along the riots. Yunho's words have resounded in my mind all the time...

I am not holding any grudge against him or Yoochun because deep inside, I know their intentions are good. They are not the ones who have killed her. I am holding a grudge against Father, the Regimpe, our Motherland. I am holding a grudge against the Streets Army for being so vile and cruel. I am holding a grudge agaisnt this person who is ruling us and making our lives this way. If we were free for good then this would never happen. I have that feeling like this kind of things should never happen in the true democracy.

I won't ever say Our Revered President again.

 

As I was going really bad because of Yeon Hee's death, Father has told me a great news : Jong Woon is going to come back! With his wife, they are going to spend two weeks home. It's an old tradition... The married kids have to spend a few times in their respective families, to discover each other's environment. It won't substitute my grief, which is now written on my bones eternally, but it brings back a bit of warmth in this icy heart of mine.

 

After almost three weeks, perfectly recovered, I am able to go back to the University. Without Yeon Heee, I am feeling as if I was a horse who would have lost his knight. I am still on my crazy course set, going straight ahead but I am lost and desoriented. The corridors are like endless to me, lessons are long tortures which are giving me a headache.

I can't see Kyung Jae anywhere. At lunch break time, my appetite at the lowest, I am eating my packed lunch at the speed of the light and go to find a refuge at the library. I don't even know what I am looking for. I am feeling as if Yeon Hee is going to appear at the next turn of books endlessly spread to the eyes and to hear her frank laugh at the sight of my surprised face. But Yeon Hee never appears...

So, no reading looks interesting. Even finding scandalous poetries does not . I am feeling as if something was broken inside of me and I would never be able to fix it. I am walking along the aisles, not knowing what to do : to get out of there and keep on wandering at the sun or staying here and forcing myself to read one of those love novels which are so stupid that it is making you stuck to their fantastic stories despite yourself.

In the beginning of the afternoon, after the calligraphy lessons, I take the decision to walk back home. The Seoul streets seem like they never knew any riots. The snatched pavements have been replaced, the broken windows of the shops have been fixed up. People are strolling around walking, riding a bike, a rickshaw or the tramway as if this all has never happened. At the Market Place, the hawkers are still there, selling living chickens, kimbaps, any kind of tea, rice, fruits and vegetables as they always done.

I am feeling as if each corner of the streets are stinking death. Everyone is hypocrite, it makes me want to throw up. In the end, I take the decision of getting a rickshaw ride. I want to lock up myself in my room and to play gayageum to my heart's content until Jong Woon will come back...

And suddenly, in front of me, at the other side of the street, I am catching sight of Yunho... Books in his hands, wearing his uniform, glasses on his nose, he is walking the opposite way from mine. We can recognize each other from afar and we are smiling at each other as I am meeting him, before I am passing him by despite ourselves. This quick meeting make my senses come back to life one after one. Bloods is rushing to my chest, making my heart beat faster and to my cheeks, which are now coloring with red. I am feeling now as if the streets were filled with the fragrance of the peach flower.

***************************************************

Thanks and welcome to my new subscribers! Thanks to the readers of this story as well, even if I would really like you to show me you have read and enjoyed it. Thanks even so! Love ya guys ♥