Chapter 4

World Spins Madly On

 

Ji Hyo finished filming by sunrise. She fell asleep as soon as her head hit the headrest of her car's seat. She didn't budge when they arrived at her apartment that both Sun Mi and the driver were considering letting her sleep in the car. In the end Sun Mi had to half drag her up to their house, deciding that it would be hours until the young actress woke up and it wouldn't be safe to leave her in the car no matter how safe their environment was. 
 
Sun Mi was glad that Ji Hyo was finally asleep. The younger woman had had a rough week and she deserved a good rest. As the manager covered the other woman with a thick blanket, she couldn't help but comparing people's attitude towards Ji Hyo during the filming. While the Running Man cast and staff were very nice and supportive - even though some kept their distance they still didn't ignore her completely, the people on the other set were downright unpleasant. It must have taken a toll on Ji Hyo to keep up a good appearance the whole night and Sun Mi was relieved that Ji Hyo didn't break down into another fit of crying. You show them, Ji Hyo-yah, she thought proudly. 
 
Ji Hyo slept until late in the afternoon and was woken up by a constant ringing of her phone. Not bothering to look at the display, she reached blindly to her nightstand to answer the phone. 
 
"Yah!! What time do you think it is?!" She growled in annoyance. 
 
Jong Kook cringed; he automatically moved the phone farther from his ear, which was now buzzing. He could hear Ji Hyo yelled again. After waiting for a second longer to make sure that Ji Hyo wouldn't shout again, he put the phone back against his ears. 
 
"Yah, Mong Ji Hyo! Are you trying to make me deaf?" he said in good humour. There was silence that Jong Kook was afraid that she fell back to sleep. "Ji Hyo-yah, are you still asleep?" Jong Kook spoke more softly now. "Ji Hyo-yah, this is Jong Kook Oppa."
 
Ji Hyo frowned at the familiar voice on the other side of the phone but her mind wasn't awake enough to make a connection between the name and the voice. "Jong Kook Oppa?" she mumbled sleepily, "Jong Kook Oppa who?"
 
She yawned audibly on the phone and was going to just hang up when she heard a roar of laughter on the other line. That was when her mind registered the name. Omo!! She gasped in surprise - that Jong Kook Oppa!! Ji Hyo's eyes snapped open immediately. She blinked a couple of times to make sure she wasn't dreaming.
 
"Miss Mong, are you still there?" 
 
"Yes, Oppa,"
 
"Do you know which Jong Kook Oppa it is now?" The older man teased. 
 
"I suppose so," she hesitated, "Is this really Jong Kook Oppa?"
 
The hesitation in Ji Hyo's voice made Jong Kook a little nervous. What if she was still holding a grudge about yesterday's incident? "Err.. Yeah?" he posed the answer as a question, waiting to see if Ji Hyo would hang up. To his relief, the younger woman only mumbled her recognition.
 
"What is it, Oppa? Why are you calling this early?" 
 
Jong Kook snorted at the question. Early? Early evening it was! "Oy, the sleeping beauty Princess Mong, it's almost seven in the evening!" he pointed out, laughing at her antics. 
 
Ji Hyo rolled on the bed until her she was lying on her back so that she could see the clock, her hair was all mussed up and tousled. The digital clock on her bedside did say 6:49 pm. Oops!
 
"Aigoo, Oppa! I'm sorry; I thought it was still dawn. I didn't mean to yell at you," she apologised immediately realising her mistake, bowing to nobody from under the blanket. 
 
"Nah, it's alright," replied Jong Kook. He shifted his weight from one foot to another, thinking of what to say next. He took a deep breath and began very quickly, "Look, Ji Hyo-yah, how soon can you be ready? I'm in Ilsan at the moment, meet up with me?"
 
"Huh?" Ji Hyo was totally confused; it wasn't like Kim Jong Kook to call her out of the blue for a meet up. "You're in Ilsan? Where in Ilsan?"
 
In the parking area of your apartment complex nearly freezing to death? Jong Kook wanted to say. But he said nothing. 
 
Ji Hyo rubbed her eyes tiredly as she thought. Eventually she came to the conclusion that Jong Kook must have mistaken her for another person with the same name. "Jong Kook Oppa, did you call the wrong number? It's Ji Hyo - Running Man's Song Ji Hyo."
 
Upon hearing this, Jong Kook doubled up in laughter. He couldn't believe that calling a sleepy Ji Hyo would be so entertaining. "Yah, Cheon Seong Im!" he called her by her real name now, "I don't know how many women are named Ji Hyo in Ilsan, but I know only one Mong Ji Hyo! Come on and hurry up, Ji Hyo-yah; Oppa will be waiting at the ice cream parlour near the water park, okay?"
 
Ji Hyo mumbled her agreement even though she was still a little confused. They hung up after she had promised not to fall back asleep and Ji Hyo hurriedly kicked away her blanket and got up. 
 
She almost knocked her manager off her feet as she got out of her room. "Sorry, Unnie," she said, extending her arms to help balance Sun Mi, who was carrying a tray of food with her. 
 
"Aigoo! You scared me to death, Ji Hyo-ya! What are you doing?"
 
Ji Hyo was already in the bathroom at that moment. She opened the door a little, enough for her head to peeked out, and told the startled manager that she was in a hurry. 
 
"But we have no shooting schedule today!"
 
"We don't," confirmed Ji Hyo. She grinned widely at Sun Mi. "I'm meeting Jong Kook Oppa," she informed the other woman before closing the door, leaving Park Sun Mi standing speechless in the middle of the living room.