Trust

Down the Rabbit Hole

The hatter was patient with the girl in trying to answer any questions. For the moment, she was much too tired to figure everything out.

“Please, eat something.” The hatter came with more food, along with her crackers. He brought her a variety of fruits and cheese.

The girl's stomach growled upon seeing food, realizing she was famished. The hatter let out a chuckle.

After eating a bit, she cleared . “I'm... quite lost, I must admit. My head hurts and I'm unfamiliar with this place.” The girl then smiled at the hatter, “But right now… I do know I feel much better. So thank you.” His response was a slight bow, waiting for her to continue. "How... did I get here? What is this place?"

"You were saved, and fell into Wonderland." The hatter sighed, unsure of where to begin. He did not know everything of this world, but enough to ease her troubles. “Wonderland is an interesting place, my dear.”

“Saved? A beast? I..." She stammered for a moment, baffled. "Is my family here? Where are they?"

The hatter glanced down at his feet, hiding his sadness. “I would like to know the same about mine.” Quickly the hatter pushed aside his troubles, showing another warm smile. “Let me give you a welcome to our world. We never get new-comers here, so… it’s nice to see a new face.”

“Am I able to go back to my mother?” The girl was persistent with hitting the hatter with hard questions.

“I am not sure,” he replied quietly, “I do hope so. But, I do not have the power to answer that.”

She was unsatisfied, beginning to hold her head in pain. "My... head." The hatter rushed to the kitchen before bringing her a cold cloth. "I... can't remember... my name..."

“I apologize, dear… how about for now, you give me a name you’re comfortable with being called. You’ll feel better, I promise you.” The hatter grasped the girl’s hand, comforting her.

“I… suppose you can call me anything.”

“But, I must call you something you would like. The queen has not found you yet, so you have a choice.”

The way he explained only brought more questions. She felt hurt by the words 'found yet.' What if she were to be 'found?'

“Call me… Luna,” she finally announced. “I like that name. So, call me Luna, please.”

“Alright, Luna,” the hatter smiled once more, “Do you feel any better?”

“I-” sudden sounds of voices occurred, alarming the two. The hatter covers the girl with one arm, walking forward toward the entrance of the house.

“Stay back,” he demanded, “I do not wish for you to be captured and taken toward the castle.”

Luna gulped, “But who would capture me?”

“Queen's army,” the hatter replied calmly, "Or the rabbit..." Luna covered in shock, taking a step toward the hatter. “But he shouldn’t be… how can-…”

These voices became louder, roaring steps from outside. “Hatter!” The two heard a woman’s voice; the hatter opened the door to find a shorthaired woman with two dark brown rabbit ears coming out of her head. Luna quietly gasped in shock by the mere sight of this unusual creature.

“Why, March Hare… what did you do?” The hatter yelled out, glancing back to a shaking, afraid Luna.

The girl only replied with a roar of laughter. The hatter raised an eyebrow. Finally, she said happily, “I needed some more money, where else could I find some?”

Hatter turned to Luna, worried. “Luna, please, go and find somewhere safe. The queen’s army men are coming. I need to help March get out of this one. You need to go.” His voice sounded frantic.

“B-but… hatter, I…. where must I go? Please! I do not know my way around!” He ignored her protesting, but lead her into his home's hallway. There was a back door she was able to rush through.

"Go into the forest! You'll be safe as long as you stay by the village. If you see anyone with a red heart emblem, stay away." He slammed the door shut as soon as he heard an soldier walked into his home.

She forced herself to run, breathing heavily as she made her way into the vast, empty forest.

 

 

 

 

“I think… alright now,” she breathed out. She waited for her heart rate to lower. Luna hadn’t examined the area for a while until she had stopped running. These trees looked to be so tall they could touch the sky. Afraid, the young girl collapsed to her knees, wanting to cry with fear. She merely shivered, gritting her teeth tightly. A sharp breeze came from deeper in the forest.

There was faint voice. Unlike the army men’s calls, this was more quiet, and calming. “Are you alright, blonde girl?” She heard the particular feminine voice coming from above now.

“Who are you?” Luna yelled out. “What do you want?"

“I want to know if you’re alright, of course…” Luna watched a quick movement jumping from a tree landing down to her level.

A young, frail girl stood before her with deep, green eyes. They were almost haunting. She had features of which belonged to a cat: dark black ears sticking out from her messy hair, and a slithering tail behind her. “I don’t see a red heart on your clothing, are you not a part of the Queen’s embassy?”

Luna, confused, only shook her head. She then remembered the hatter's words. "A heart emblem...?"

“You mustn’t trust anyone with a heart on. Where are you from, blonde girl?”

“I…” Luna shivered once more, whimpering. Was this some kind of creature, or human?

“You are afraid,” the girl examined, “Why?”

Luna could not speak. It felt as though any air left from her lungs was out, unable to explain herself. “You…” She pointed at the girl, her arm shaking. “You’re… a cat?”

The young girl laughed, “You must not be from around here. Of course I am of a feline.” She circled Luna at least four times, her eyes intimidating. “I will not harm you. How old are you, exactly?”

“I’m… not sure.”

“Your name…?”

“Um… I am Luna.”

Again, the young girl laughed, but this time softer. “Pretty. Why are you so afraid, Luna?”

She could gear a deep purring coming from the frail girl. Luna’s gaze met the ground, “I have never seen anything like you before...”

“Well, my name is Cheshire. I roam the forest, and you have happened to find me.”

“H-hello, Cheshire.” Luna watched as the girl began to crawl away with a smile, disappearing into the forest. “Wait!” Luna stumbled to follow her, “Don’t leave me alone here… please!”

“You can find your own way around. Trust yourself.” She seemed almost ghost-like, her movement creating a blur.

Yet again, Luna was all alone. “Please…” She called out once more, frustrated. Tears ran down her cheeks.

 

 

 

She attempted to find her way back toward the hatter’s village. Tired, Luna decided to stop by a small creek. “Maybe I should wait,” she huffed. At first she was cold in this forest, but now she was sweaty and tired. Luna then decided to dip her feet into the water. She kept still, thinking to herself. “Hatter… I need your help.” Luna jumped by the sound of footsteps, hoping to find the hatter. “H-hello?” She spotted a dark figure from a distance. Quickly, she slipped on her shoes as the figure hesitated but moved closer. The closer it became, the more she was able to decipher the figure: tall and covered with a black, hooded silk cloak.

“I can help,” the voice sounded masculine, and familiar. “Come with me,” a hand appeared from the cloak, causing Luna to step back. “Do not be afraid.”

"I don't... know if I should." She scanned to see any heart emblem, but couldn't tell.

“You may know who I am,” The figure moved close enough to try and grasp her palm. “Come with me and I'll explain.”

Luna obeyed, though still unsure this mysterious man.

The figure seemed to know his way through the forest quite well, stopping before a large pathway. He kept a loose grip on Luna’s hand, making sure she kept following. His hands were gloved, making him even more mysterious. “I understand you would like to know who I am,” he then spoke to her. Luna only nodded. The figure tugged at his large cloak, the black cloth making a large ‘whoosh’ to reveal a man in a suit. Luna gasped, sudden memories of this person.

“You… You had...?” She backed away, noticing his rabbit ears now peaking through that black hat of his.

“I can explain if you’re willing to listen, dear. But, you must trust me. I trust you to help me.” He had such human features besides the ears; Luna kept staring.

“H-help you…?” She examined his suit, spotting a red heart placed on the left side of his jacket. She gasped once again.