Hatter

Down the Rabbit Hole

She lay unconscious with a peaceful expression. Her blonde hair settled wildly across her limp shoulders; a few strands of hair sticking to her parted lips. “Sh-she’ll be okay, I know it,” The young man reassured himself as his shaking arms held onto her tightly. The fall must have caused her to faint, he thought…

“Oh dear, what have I done…” he whispered once more, thinking of what to do. Should he go to see someone? Surely the queen will allow him to be a little late. The man was unsure of what to do. He couldn’t help but take a quick glance at the blonde. She had such white skin, with a healthy pink tint on her cheeks. She had on a beautiful flared blue dress, though it was dirty from the forest. He had to find someone who can help her wake up.

Eventually, he made his way into a small but colorful village. Sounds of leaves crunching occurred before he slowed to a stop, taking in scents of fresh bread and pastries. He stopped at a house, calling out, “Hatter!

After a few moments, a gleeful voice answered, “Ah, rabbit!” Another man opened a door, a pleased expression turning to shock upon spotting the unconscious girl. “Ah, my, my… do we have here?” The rabbit looked frantic. He usually had such clean clothes and a proper demeanor.

“I-I’m-… she’s-… in need of some assistance,” the rabbit trembled his words, “There’s not much time to explain, hatter, I-I just really need your help.” The hatter nodded, gesturing that the rabbit follow him.

The hatter piled some pillows onto his rococo couch before placing the girl's limp body gently down. The man then found a blanket and some water. He gently placed a warm rag on the girl’s head. Her breathing seemed normal, thankfully. “Now,” the hatter spoke, looking to his friend. “Are you going to tell me how all of this all came about? I can make us some tea-”

"No, I must hurry... To make it brief: I was out for an errand by Queen's demand. I saw this young woman as she was about to be attacked, so, I had no choice but to bring her here." The rabbit was twiddling his fingers, anxious.

The hatter gave his friend a smirk, "You saved her? What a gentleman." He looked down at the girl. He could understand why, she was beautiful even covered in dirt and grass stains.

"I-I must go... I'm sorry, Hatter. There is no time!" Quickly the rabbit rushed to the door.

"Wait! What is this poor girl's na-" Before he could finish, the door slammed shut. The hatter responded with a sigh.

 

 

 

The rabbit made his way though the small village, down south toward the queen’s castle. Breathing heavy, he was a bit tired, but calmed to a normal, even breath while he took out a handkerchief. The rabbit brushed off any dirt or grime and fixed his hair to his normal, immaculate style.

Making his way in, he politely greeted everyone. Guards eyed him carefully, unsure why the rabbit was acting somewhat unusual. Their bodies were much taller, leaner than the rabbit’s, and almost abnormal and disproportionate.

The castle was full of intricate, luxorious decor. Beautifully painted pillars holding the castle up seemed to a mile high. The rabbit eventually made his way toward the throme room. “Your highness,” the rabbit greeted politely, giving a large bow. “I’m… terribly sorry for my late return.”

A servant was assisting the queen in picking fabric from various types. When spotting the rabbit, she angrily muttered, “You're late…”

"I apologize greatly."

"Please tell me you got the echinaceas for my tea..." She kept her annoyed tone.

"Yes, your highness. I did." The rabbit kept his bow, but pulled out a small bag.

"Tell me your excuse for being late."

"Upon picking your echinaceas, I stumbled across a beast."

Her eyes widened, "A beast?"

"Yes. A beast outside of Wonderland." He kept his bowing pose, but frowned... he thought of the girl. The queen only laughed.

"Rabbit, this must be your doing. None of my beasts have ever gotten outside of Wonderland."

The rabbit finally came to a stand, "I will resolve the issue at hand, as soon as I can..."

 

 

 

The girl let out a soft groan, shifting her tired body. Her eyes were squeezed tight before opening slightly. She had a lost expression. As suddenly she shot up straight, she took in the whole view of this new surrounding.

She really was lost.

The room consisted of a worn fireplace that lead into a hallway. There was a coffee table in front of her with a beautiful mug of liquid and some crackers. She smelled a sweet aroma, like cake being made. On the other side of her, she saw a man in a burette putting away colorful dishes. "Huh...?"

“Dear! You’re finally awake,” she suddenly heard the man say, her body jumping from the noise. “Ah, I’m… I’m sorry.”

Her eyes widened when seeing a quite slim man standing before her: dark hair, sharp features, dressed in a lavish but colorful suit. It matched the burette perfectly.

Ah… I…” all the girl could say were single syllables, feeling completely terrified and confused.

“Please, don’t be afraid, miss,” the man began, consoling the girl, “I’m of no harm, alright? You must not be from around here, poor thing…”

The girl nodded her head, trying to compose herself. “Where… am I?”

“Call me Hatter, please.” The young man gestured a hand to shake hers; the girl was hesitant before grasping his palm, “And well, you’re in Wonderland, dear.”

Oh…” The girl rubbed her head. She felt a slight throbbing of pain. “How exactly did I get here?” The hatter gave her a warm smile.

“Well, before we get to that, what is your name, miss?” She gave a concerned look for a moment. The hatter waited for a response.

“I… I'm not sure."