Sunyoung

Down the Rabbit Hole

“Hello!”

 

“Sunyoung?”

 

“You there?”

 

Sunyoung sat quietly to herself with a fairly large hardcover book in her hand. She was lost in her novel, which consisted of a knight saving his queen in a ancient village.

"Sunyoung!"

Huh?” Sunyoung then blinked, her head lifting up to see a familiar brunette smiling at her. “Oh-… when did you come by-?”

It was a late morning when Sunyoung had found a wonderful spot to sit and read: The end of her town had a beautifully scenic near the forest. She must have lost track of time.

“Remember? My big sister's wedding is today, and you agreed to help me pick flowers!” The friend blinked at her, "What are you reading, anyway?"

Sunyoung's face turned to a shade of pink. The story was quite romantic and cheesy for a young woman her age. Still, she couldn't help turn away such a wonderful story. "O-oh... I'll help you, but please let me finish this chapter... It's a good book, nothing more-" Her plead is interrupted as her friend snatches the book away. "H-Hey! Give that back!"

The brunette begins to take off. "Meet me at the garden and you'll get it back!"

Sunyoung huffed before following her thief of a friend. She took a few steps before realizing her friend had made her way into the forest. "Um..." Sunyoung gulped, beginning to sweat. She wasn't too familiar with the forest, but could hear the sound of laughter to follow. It took every ounce of her bravery to make her way into the large forest. It was a sunny day, attracting all kinds of animals.

Sunyoung decided to keep moving north. "Hello!" Shaking, she thought to herself, "I know the garden must be this way, but..."

She heard a shuffle near her. Sunyoung gulped, hoping it was just a dear. "Do I... keep moving?" She thought. The sound stopped after a few seconds. It took a moment to calm her beating heart before continuing her trail.

Sunyoung became annoyed at this point, calling out to her friend. "I'm gonna kill you once I get you! ....If I can... find my way back..." Her voice trailed off.

The strange shuffling occured again. It sounded like bushes shaking. She had had enough. "Leave me alone!" Sunyoung wondered if her friend was playing tricks on her now.

"I'm... sorry." A faint voice came from a distance somewhere behind her. It sounded like a man, though unfamiliar. She froze, her hands quivering.

"I don't have any money, so leave me alone!" She tried to be brave, but couldn't help tearing up. She was truly afraid. Another sound came from the side of her. It was a twig snapping. "There are more of you...?!"

She was unsure of where to focus her attention on. It was difficult to concentrate due to her shaking hands. Her head snapped back and forth between the two areas. Eventually, a man emerged, keeping his head low. "It's nice to meet you." His voice was strangely friendly.

He was wearing a luxerious suit and hat. A softly ticking pocket watch hung from his pocket. He didn't look like he was asking her money. Though the man looked familiar, she could not place him. "Wha..." Sunyoung took a few steps back, afraid.

The two stopped to hear a growl. It didn't sound small like a fox, but rather... dangerous. Sunyoung couldn't stop her tears now. She was terrified. The man was quick to bravely step in front of her. "I'll protect you," He announced.

She noticed a strange, tiny rabbit tail. Was he holding a rabbit tail for good luck? She couldn't look away, confused. Was that... his tail?

Another growl came from the forest, along with sounds of running. Was it a bear? Sunyoung closed her eyes in fear, unsure of what to do.

The running got closer and closer. Eventually, there was a large roar. Sunyoung tore her eyes open to see some kind of beast in front of them. It was large with black, matted fur and giant, sharp teeth. She could see its claws digging into the ground. Did it... have blood coming from its mouth? It was unlike anything she had ever seen. Quickly, the man grabbed onto Sunyoung's arms. "This is a nightmare," She repeated over and over. It must be. A nightmare. She closed her eyes once more. She couldn't bear to see the sight of the beast.

She felt her body being carried while hearing a piercing howl from the beast. Within moments, her body didn't feel heavy anymore.