vii. Moon Jaenus

The Cost of Being Friends

 

 Knowing me, it was kind of hard not to put stickers on Xiumin’s back in 7th period. It has been at least a week since the incident, and i’m already bored out of my mind. Nothing interesting has been going on, considering that Minhae and Yoonhae are both super concious right now. I feel like they’re only talking to theirselves for the time being. They’re kind of ignoring everyone else except for Seoyoung, and I don’t feel good about this. I have to do something to make them see me again.
“Yah, would you stop it with the stickers?” Xiumin asked me, getting a bit irritated.
I frowned.
“What? I’m only decorating your back with stickers. Be ing grateful.” I told him.
He scoffed at me, before he turned around. Oh yeah, did I ever mention that I also have this ‘ghetto’ side? Everyone’s afraid of me, and they are also very well aware that I like to cuss people out.
“Mr. H will take them off for me.” he muttered, before looking at his studies. 
“Then i’ll just put more on!” I exclaimed, as I continued to plaster his back with stickers.
“Just stop putting those stickers on his back, Jaenus-ah.” Sehun groaned, before looking back at his worksheet.
“His complaints are distracting me..” he added.
“Well i’m sorry, but I like doing this. If Xiumin wants me to stop... then... he’ll just have to get me a huge teddy bear!” I suggested.
Taeyeon, who was seated behind Tao for the day, frowned as she looked up.
“Hey,” she drawled, “why did you sticker up his back without me?”
I shrugged.
“I’m bored, and I want to do it.” I replied to her.
“But it doesn’t mean that you have to do it without me!” she whined.
Ugh, her voice, it’s so annoying sometimes. I turned my back on her, as I looked at my assignment again. We were learning about the Europeans today in Geography. I don’t get why we have to learn about these people, when we could just learn about.. I don’t know.. Cambodia.
 
“Baekhyun Oppa!” I exclaimed, as I saw him in the hallway. 
We didn’t talk as much as we used to, because I couldn’t reach him on Facebook anymore. I have to keep low now...
“Yes?” he asked me, as he fiddled with his textbook.
He’s so cute doing that. I wonder what type of God created him to be so perfect? Although I was the one that called him over, it was a bit hard trying to come up with a conversion.
“Come on Jaenus-ah, I don’t have all day. I have to go catch the bus to get home!” he whined.
I bit my lip. Yoonhae told me a secret the other day... Maybe this will stop Baekhyun from trying to go for her.
“I’m going to tell you a secret, alright?” I told him.
He nodded his head.
“Okay...”
“Yoonhae likes Dongwoo!” I blurted.
He widened his eyes just a bit, kind of surprised. What is he thinking?
“R-really?” he asked me.
I nodded my head.
“Yeah. Well... she likes someone else too, but she also likes Dongwoo.” 
“Oh... I see... Well, I have to go catch my bus. Bye.” he muttered, before he walked down the n,hall.
I pursed my lips, before I started to walk back to my locker. I can’t believe that it didn’t work. I gave away one of the biggest secrets, and he just says, ‘oh’. He could’ve at least created a bigger conversion with me. As I walked to my locker, I saw Minhae getting ready to leave.
“Hey Minhae! Are you going to walk me to my car?” I asked her, widening my eyes for that cute effect. 
She was bound to say yes. Today, Yoonhae had something to do. She couldn’t have been waiting for her. She was all mine today. She looked at me, before giving me a small smile.
“Sure.” she replied, as she shut her locker door closed. 
I wasn’t sure if she meant it, or if she just said it to please me. Either way, i’m having her attention.
“Can you believe Yoonhae’s crush on Dongwoo?” I asked her, as we walked down the hallway.
I could sense the hint of bewilderedness she felt.
“W-what?” she asked me.
“Can you believe it? I mean seriously, it’s like she’s trying to tell everyone that she likes him or something! She’s being so obvious about it. I mean, can’t she try to be as discret as me when she’s talking to him? I mean, when I talk to Baekhyun, I don’t look like I have a crush on him, right?” I asked her.
I mean... I may have the most infatuated feelings for him when i’m talking to him, but I don’t show it as much as Yoonhae does. Although she also likes Luhan, she shows that she likes Dongwoo the most. 
“Oh... uhm, yeah. She’s being... really obvious.” Minhae confirmed.
I nodded my head, before exiting the doors to go outside.
“I hope i’m not late today. Whenever i’m late to my dad’s car, he leaves me and goes back home. After he goes back home, he comes back here to pick me up.” I explain to her, just to keep our conversion flowing.
You know what I realized? It’s really hard to keep up a conversion with these people.
“Isn’t that a waste of gas?” Minhae asked me, as we crossed the street to get to our cars.
“Exactly! But my dad still does it anyways. It’s like he doesn’t care if he wastes money on gas, but on me, he won’t spend it on me.” I pouted.
“It’s okay Jaenus, one day, your dad will realize how much you’re worth.” she told me, before she left me and entered her car.
I looked at her for a brief moment, before I walked on. Wow, so much pity for a money deprived child. I know she does this on a daily basis, but it’s still rude. As I got to my waiting place, I stopped to get out my phone. I searched my backpack’s secret department for it. I have to keep it in a secret department, or Minhae and Yoonhae would suspect stuff. Like... how my parents already replaced my laptop with a macbook air. They don’t need to know that, right? Of course they don’t, because then I wouldn’t get as much attention after that.  
“Hey daddy, where are you?” I asked, as soon as he answered my call.
“I’m on my way, Jaenus-ah. I just had to pick up Sami first.”
“Oh... I see. Well hurry, it’s cold.” 
“Alright, alright. Just wait a bit longer. I have to go to the bank to make my final payment on your laptop.”
“Okay dad... Just hurry.”
“Okay, bye.”
“Bye.”
If you actually knew what my life was like, then you wouldn’t think any of my stories were true--not that they were true in the first place.
 
 
The next day, I was at my locker, talking to Dongwoo. He was kind of refreshing to talk to, because everyone would just listen to what I had to say. Baekhyun noticed us, because he came over to talk.
“Hey guys.”  he greeted, as he stood between me and Dongwoo.
“What’s up man?” Dongwoo greeted back, as he grinned at him.
“I know who Yoonhae likes.” Baekhyun announced.
I widened my eyes. No, no, no. This wasn’t supposed to happen. Not at all. I put my finger to my lips.
“Shush! Don’t tell!” I half whispered.
Dongwoo widened his eyes slightly.
“What? You know?” he questioned.
“Okay guys, the bell is about to ring!” I interrupt, before pushing Baekhyun away from Dongwoo.
“Later Dongwoo!” Baekhyun called out.
“Uh... See yah later.” he replied, before he left for his class.
I could’ve mentally face palmed. Now Dongwoo was going to probe Baekhyun for who she liked. 
“I can’t believe you just said that Oppa!” I whined to him, before I softly punched him.
I wouldn’t want to hurt my Baekhyun too much.
“I’m sorry... but that’s why you told me right? So I could spread the word?” Baekhyun questioned.
“No! I just told you cause.. cause I felt like it! Oppa, promise me that you won’t tell anyone!” 
"Uhm.... Alright." Baekhyun nodded. 
I beamed, before I clung onto his arm.
"Great! What's your next class again?"
"Well... It's study hall. We both have study hall Jaenus..." Baekhyun pointed out.
I clicked my tongue. Of course it was study hall. I forgot.
"Haha, I knew that Oppa. How could you be so stupid to think that I didn't?"