iv. Moon Jaenus

The Cost of Being Friends

A fool flatters himself, a wise man flatters the fool.”-Edward G Bulwer-Lytton

 

Friday morning, first period

Innocence is something that seems to help me from time and time again. The innocent ones do not suspect the dirty minded ones, since they only look at the dirty minded ones with worried eyes and soft embraces. The ones who are dirty minded tell lies while the innocent ones believe the lies. The ones that are innocent have never done anything to harm others so they just can’t even think about someone harming them. Karma is supposed to reward the innocent and the dirty minded, right? Obviously not.

Its hard to--actually its not--believe that I’m the dirty minded. I do whatever I want, and say whatever I want to the innocent ones. The ones who are innocent being Minhae and Yoonhae. Their names are even similar. ‘Hae’ means to do. They obviously do all the work. I tell them my innocent lies and they get their hands dirty with my lies in mind. I do it out of love, guys--trust me. Don’t trust me too much, though, because you’re going to end up like Minhae and Yoonhae--lost in my lies. 

“What did you do?” 

Mr. Lee is such a joke. He’s a funny teacher but he can’t teach for his life.

“I don’t know,” I laugh and look at him jokingly.

“Well sweetheart, they called you down to the guidance office,” Mr. Lee said and then he turned around and went back to whatever he was doing on the laptop.

Like I said, Minhae and Yoonhae did all the dirty work. ‘Hae’ means to do. Remember that.



It was Tuesday. I fixed my bangs into a perfect curve, shaping my face into the perfect V-Line. I didn’t know what a V-Line was until I heard Minhae and Yoonhae talking about it during lunch. Of course I had to look it up yesterday night because Yoonhae and Minhae can’t talk about something I don’t know about or else they will become closer. I can’t let that happen. After I fixed my bangs, I bent down and reached in my backpack for my textbooks that I needed to put in my locker. Minhae’s locker was right next to mine since our last names were so close alphabetically. Minhae looked like today, with her long black hair everywhere. She was putting in her textbooks into her disorganized locker. It’s disgusting in there. I wish she was more like me...

“Minhae, yesterday my mom made me study so hard because we got in trouble yesterday. I cried so hard that I couldn’t eat dinner,” I pouted my mouth-in a natural way of course. I bit my tongue slightly, but not as hard as I bit it while talking to the guidance counselor. My big, wide eyes started to water slightly; this exact amount of teary eyes will drive out the worry from Minhae. 

“That’s not good for you. You have to eat,” Minhae said while looking at me quickly, then she turned around to grab stuff for Math. I rolled my eyes That’s all the compassion you’re going to give to someone who skipped eating? Wow Minhae is heartless.

“I hate Minjung so much! She did this to us. My mom wouldn’t have yelled at me yesterday if Minjung didn’t lie. My mom slipped on her flip-flop and accidentally scraped my cheek. How dare she tell the guidance counselor my mom made me sleep outside without a blanket... We were just camping of course,” I say in anger. Minhae’s eyes flicker in question but then it suddenly flickers to worry for me. Minhae nods her head, obviously thinking over something. Then she picks up her backpack and walks over to Yoonhae. I hate how they have math first period together.

“I can’t believe she believed me,” I whispered to myself as I walked up to Mr. Bass’ room for science. It was my first period class. The sad thing is I changed my story and Minhae didn’t notice. Knowing Minhae, she will tell Yoonhae and they will gather anger and hate Minjung more. Then, they will look at me with compassion and sympathy. Sympathy and compassion will lead to me having a closer relationship with Minhae and Yoonhae. Then, Yoonhae--being the awesome, naive friend she is--will obviously stop talking to Baekhyun if I request it from her.  Smart right?


I quickly grabbed my binder and walked down to the guidance office. The police officer then led me to the principal's office. Oh wow, they are taking this seriously now. Too bad I have a cover story story. I walked in the principals office trying to look as scared as I could possibly get. In the corner of my eye I saw Yoonhae slumped in her chair, looking like she was about to kill someone. Minhae looked scared and worried. They were sitting at a long rectangular table. I walked to the principal, who was sitting at opposite Minhae, and stood there. I knew I wasn’t going to be there long. We sat there in silence until Seoyoung walked into the room smiling and waving to the people around her. Of course Seoyoung would act like this was a hang-out rather than a trip to the principal’s office.

“You don’t walk into the principal’s office smiling,” the police officer scolded Seoyoung.

“I’m sure you guys know why you’re in trouble,” Mrs. Kwon, the principal, said.

“It’s not their fault. It’s mine,” Yoonhae sat up suddenly,  like she was holding it in. Her eyes were red with anger. 

“Did we ask you to talk,” the guidance counselor spat back at her.

“But it’s wasn’t their faults! Why do they need to get in trouble, when it’s all mine?” she asked, her eyes getting majorly teary.

I sighed a bit. She’s too nice for her own good.

“It’s okay, Lilie. I know I commented on it. It’s my fault, too,” Seoyoung replied to her. Its like they wanted to be in trouble... They’re unselfish nature astonished me.

“Yeah, see? She’s here for a reason. Now stop talking, and let us talk. We didn’t call you down here to have an outburst,” Mrs. Kang, the assistant principal, said.

“I didn’t even have a computer yesterday, there’s no way I would be able to do anything,” I said which my hands gripped around my textbooks. I widened my eyes and tried to look afraid. I copied Minhae’s facial expression, the afraid and terrified look. In the inside, I wasn’t worried at all.

“What happened to your laptop?” the guidance counselor asked me.

“My dad broke my laptop. He smashed it in front of my family, and then threw it into the dumpster,” I replied, still looking at them with the same expression.

“Okay you can leave. I don’t want to see you until graduation,” the principal looked at me with a stern expression on her face. With that, I walked out of the principal’s office and took one last look at Minhae, Yoonhae, and Seoyoung--the people who defended me. I quickly ran up the stairs and went up to Mr. Lee’s room.

“Everything okay,” Mr. Lee asked me while trying to explain the difference between quartz and sulfur. 

“Yes,” I said sweetly and looked at my folder. I felt Xiumin tap my shoulder.

“EW, why did you have to go the office, huh? Did you give too much pain to Baekhyun,” Xiumin joked. I smiled and begin to take notes on what Mr. Lee was talking about. Sul.. fur.. is.. yel.. low.. and.. is.. an.. ig.. ne.. ous.. rock..

 


-Last period of the day-

This is my favorite period of the day. I would really like Chinese  if I didn’t have to hear really stupid people speak Chinese, but I do really like Chinese because Baekhyun takes Chinese too. I really like this class especially because right before this class Baekhyun comforted me.  I can replay it in my mind over and over again...

“Jaenus, are you okay,” Baekhyun said while looking up from his floor locker. I was standing next to Taeyeon as she grabbed stuff from her locker. Baekhyun and Taeyeon had similar last names so they had lockers near each other. 

“I hate that ,” I said in anger. My eyes unconsciously widened in anger and my thought felt cut off.

“It’s all going to be okay,” Baekyun looked at me with such worry and all his attention was on me. 

“Come on! We’re are going to be late for 7th period,” Taeyeon rudely said and then pulled me to the last and best period of the day.

Today was a wonderful day. Today Baekhyun gave me attention. It’s not the brief, kind of caring, kind of not, attention that he always gave me, oh no. It was a good solid, affectionate attention. He worried about me, even if it wasn’t real. Or, it was halfly real. But it doesn’t matter because Yoonhae wasn’t here to steal the attention. She already stole Minhae from me. I’m going to get back everything; Minhae, Baekhyun, and my title as leader of this group. And I still really hate that Minjung. I walked into the class with a smile on my face--a confident smile.