Into the Fire

Into the Fire

 

Hyowon made her way through the baking streets of Seoul under the hot summer sun. Her feet, stuffed in five inch black heels, were killing her. Despite the pain in her feet, she had to keep moving. Her breath grew shorter and her patience thinner, but the familiar sight of the small alley where her apartment was gave her the strength to keep going. 

"Hey baby, what's your name?" A haggard looking man asked as she walked past. Hyowon rolled her eyes in disgust. She felt the glares of the other neighborhood rats on her shoulders. 

Hyowon arrived at her gate and pressed the button to her apartment, hoping her boyfriend would open the gate. 

"Damn button..." Hyowon looked at the button that was severely damaged and rusty. It had been like this for years, but the landlord didn't care to fix it and Hyowon had no money. She took the button that was hanging from its wire and jammed it three times hard as she did everytime she needed to call the intercom. 

"Yongguk!" Hyowon yelled into the intercom. 

No answer. 

"in'..." Hyowon sighed and took out her keys. 

Since the elevator was out of service, Hyowon made her way up five flights of stairs in her black heels. She could hear her neighbors arguing through the thin walls. A cat ran past her, startled by the neighbors' angry screams.  Hyowon sighed as she reached her apartment door. 

When she opened the door, Yongguk was sitting on the couch, surrounded by empty bottles of Scotch. Exactly what she had been afraid of. 

"Hyowon-ah, Hyowonnie, my little jagiya~" Yongguk hummed in drunk delight. 

Hyowon stared at her boyfriend. He had promised her everything, and here he was, getting drunk and drowning in debt. 

"Yongguk, you're drunk." Hyowon raised her eyebrows but did not move. 

"Wanna drink?" Yongguk handed her an empty bottle.  

Hyowon looked at her pitiful boyfriend. She could still remember when he had asked her out. It had been a picnick on a beach with little candles to set the mood. He had kept mentioning his plans for the future, he was so optimistic and Hyowon had gullibly swallowed every word he said. 

Now Yongguk ran around beating and stealing with a gang of overgrown boys just like him. There was a time, however, when Yongguk would write music. His dream was just taking form. And despite all the bad luck, Hyowon was still deeply in love with Yongguk. 

"Guk, let's get you to bed." Hyowon slipped her arms under Yongguk's and tried to hoist him up like a giant teddy bear. But Yongguk was too heavy for her and they both fell back down on the couch. She landed on top of him.

Yongguk reached up and carressed her face. He gently combed his fingers through her air. His gummy smile was wide but his eyes were almost closed, as if he was sleeping. 

Hyowon got up; she wasn't sure if the gesture was genuine given his drunken state. 

"C'mon baby, let's go to bed." She took a deep breath before trying once more to lift him up.