Chapter 5

He's Beautiful

“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” - Charles Dickens

 


Key confronts Amber and plays his video recording of her admitting she’s a girl. He says almost triumphantly, “Amber Liu, you’re done for now,” and walks off smirking.

Amber chases after him and begs him to listen. He doesn’t care to and dismisses her, heading to the elevator. As Amber steps in front of the elevator doors, blocking his path, Taemin catches a glimpse of the two and watches curiously. The scene sure has an odd vibe…

Key tells her that he intends to hand the video over to Soo man and doesn’t want to see her again, calling her “Miss Amber Liu” pointedly.


Since he is unwilling to listen and about to leave, she looks at the phone/PDA in his hand, contemplating her move… and swipes it. She grabs it just as the elevator doors close, and dashes off.

Oh, no she didn't. Key chases her outside to a second-story landing, glowering all the while. He corners her and approaches menacingly, and grabs the camera/phone. He asks, “Do you think you won’t be found out without this? Are you an idiot?”


Those words get through to her, and Amber realizes he’s right. She slackens her grip, energy sapping away. Sensing opportunity, Key wrests the phone out of her grasp, but since she’s already weakened her grip, it goes flying… over the railing… and onto a truck below.

He he. You can tell Key is a proud guy who can’t admit his own mistakes, because he gripes, “How could you let go like that?” Amber points out weakly, “You said to let go…”


Key orders Amber to retrieve the phone and reluctantly gives her a boost up to the roof. Key is solely concerned about the phone’s condition and grabs it back, worrying over new scratches, totally ignoring the fact that Amber needs help down.

But soon, the truck starts moving…


Amber attempts to call down to him, but her voice is weak and he’s preoccupied with his precious phone. When he finally turns to see the truck, he is so startled that he stares blankly as the truck pulls out of the parking lot.

Amber tries her best to hang on, frightened and growing weaker. Just as she thinks she can’t hold on any longer, she hears Key shouting after her — he’s running behind them, yelling at her to hang on tight.


But he’s no match for a vehicle, and can’t keep up. When the truck pauses at a red light, Key yells at Amber to get off quickly.

She staggers to her feet and musters her courage, jumping off as the light turns green. Key races to try to catch her; she lands on her feet, but he breaks her fall as she falls onto him.


As a result, both are a little bruised and battered as they limp home. Amber follows a few paces behind, and although he glares at her, I think he’s actually angrier at himself for caring in the first place.

Amber thanks him for running after her and catching her fall. Key is so astounded by these events that he asks if this is a secret camera prank, and looks around for a crew.

He calls her a public nuisance and decides, “Being around you is unlucky. Amber Liu, you’re dangerous.” He recalls all the messes she’s made, shuddering, and demands, “Take care of the messes you’ve made and disappear.”

Tearing up, she says, “I understand. I’ll quit in order keeping further problems from arising.”


Amber reports to Leeteuk and Stylish Song that she has been exposed, and they’re dejected that the jig is up. However, Leeteuk perks up to consider that Key is the only one who knows. That means that if they could only get rid of him…

We wouldn’t have a Hong sister’s drama without a collection of pop culture parodies, and the first comes as Leeteuk imagines locking up Key a la Old boy. Naturally the two ladies reject that idea. Then what if they insist that he confused Amber with someone else? They could pull an identity con like in Wife’s Temptation

If that fails, then they must beg! A Super Junior (“Sorry Sorry”) parody ensues.

That night, Key feels bad to recall how Amber had been limping after her jump from the truck. When that thought unsettles him, he brushes it aside, telling himself it’s a good thing he decided not to get involved.


On their way home, Taemin eyes Amber suspiciously, remembering the scene he overheard, and asks if she caused trouble for Key again. Still feeling the sting of Key’s words, she glumly confirms his accusations, referring to herself using Key’s accusations — she’s a nuisance who’s always causing injury to others.

That triggers Taemin’s overactive imagination, and he re-interprets the earlier scene at the elevator. This time, he sees Amber as the (romantic) aggressor, and Key as the victim. It’s hilarious.

While Taemin has his freak-out, Kris looks at her curiously and notices her fresh injuries. At the house, he calls her aside and attends to her cuts, commenting that this must be how Taemin feels to take care of Jolie.


She’s saddened to be compared to a dog, but he didn’t mean it in a bad way: “You’re like a dog that has lost its way. I feel like I have to take care of you.”

To lift her spirits, he confides a story of how he was once rejected by a girl because of a dog. He had liked a girl from Seoul, and wanted to “correct” his speech from his rustic accent to the Seoul accent. When he had asked a question mixing his Seoul accent with a Southern colloquialism, the girl had misunderstood his question to mean “Does your family catch dogs?” and got offended.


As his Seoul accent is now perfect, nobody knows he’s from the South; he’s sharing this as a secret with her. He also tells her to call him hyung, and she’s not quite comfortable with that. Testing her reaction, he asks, “Then, do you want to call me oppa?” She obviously can’t do that, so she should call him Kris hyung.

Little do they know, Taemin has seen (but not heard) this exchange from the house, and is completely weirder out at the close vibe between Kris and Amber. Thus when Amber comes upon him to hand back the apple he’d dropped, his imagination again kicks in and he interprets her simple actions in a suggestive light.

He warns himself, “There’s definitely something weird with that guy. I’d better be careful.”


That night, Amber deals with the fact that she has to drop out of SHINee, and apologizes to Jonghyun for ruining his dreams. Worst of all is the feeling that she’s useless, that she has no purpose as a person.

In the morning, she attempts to call Soo man to come clean, but he isn’t answering his phone. During the group’s ride to the agency, Key calls Taemin to find out whether Amber has quit yet. Hearing that nothing is amiss, he figures she hasn’t.