Chapter 4

He's Beautiful

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.” -Mark wain


Amber is thrown another hurdle when Soo man announces that Amber will be making his stage debut at the Asia Music Festival, which is in two weeks. Leeteuk and the stylist (who’s a good friend of Leeteuk and knows the truth) both protest, saying Amber isn’t ready yet, but Soo man is eager to strike while the iron’s hot.

Amber doesn’t think she can do it, but she is into activity — photo shoots, dance rehearsals.


Stylish Song is impressed with Amber’s hard work, but Amber confides that she’s looking forward to righting everything when her brother returns. She’s wronging everyone by lying now, so she must endure the hardship that comes with it.

The stylist is sympathetic, and they share a nice dramatic moment — only to cap off the scene with the stylist telling Amber that she has gone overboard with the stuffing.


Soo man has a web chat with Key, who has moved out and is now staying on his own at a hotel. The manager tries to convince Key to participate in the Asia Music Festival, and we can tell Key’s anger has cooled a little because he grudgingly agrees to consider it.

Soo man sends the wrong email, however, and has to rush off to find the right information. He instructs Key to sit still and not move. As he leaves, he inadvertently moves his webcam, and a few moments later, it captures a different scene altogether.


Key watches as the stylist bursts into the room with Amber. We know that she has found one of Amber’s fake balls (literal and figurative) in the dance studio and is frantic to correct the mistake before someone notices, but to Key’s eyes this scene takes on a different slant as the stylist whispers that they’ll be private here and fumbles for Amber’s pants.

Key does a spit-take — and just then, the light goes out at a crucial moment as the re-stuffing takes place. When the lights come back on, the stylist prods Amber’s chest to check that the bindings are tight. There’s not much to bind in the first place, “But still, you’re a girl.”


Key is incredulous: “She was a girl?”

Key pushes “record” on his laptop to get the last snippet, as Amber says with relief, “Thanks to you, nobody will find out I’m a girl.”


Key drives to the studio to “confirm something important,” and walks in on rehearsal where the SHINEE guys are practicing with the other dancers. Everyone watches curiously as his beelines for Amber, and he stares at her intently.

Suddenly, he grabs her in a hug. And feels the truth for himself.

He says incredulously, “Amber Liu… you!”


But he doesn’t get to finish that thought. Soo man walks in with a reporter, who starts snapping photos happily. Soo man is pleased at the sight of the two members seemingly on good terms .

Key tries to get the manager alone to tell him his important news, but Soo man blows him off. So when Key insists they have to kick Amber out of the group, it comes out sounding petty and he is waved aside.

Amber is just relieved that nothing weird happened with Key, and is instructed by her manager to the second-floor bathroom to avoid showering with the other boys. However, they’re unaware that the downstairs shower is broken, and that the boys are headed upstairs.

Taemin notices, “Amber really doesn’t wash.” Kris knows the real reason why, but since Taemin is so endearingly thick, he concludes, “Like Key hyung said, he must really be dirty!”


Leeteuk had been guarding the door, but a phone call makes him wander away, so Amber freezes to hear their approach. Thankfully she’s done showering, but now she’s stuck in the locker room, and the boys are all getting !— laugh-out-loud hilarity, folks! — As everyone’s modesty is preserved with animated clouds.

But what’s an innocent almost-nun to do??? As she does in times of stress, Amber appeals to the Mother Superior, who appears (in her imagination) to give her some advice. She reminds Amber of the cherubs in religious paintings, which have never given her a sense of shame: “Think of them as cherubs appearing as God made them.”


It is hysterical.

It does do the trick, though, since Amber is able to peacefully walk toward the exit without shame, as she pictures all the boys as angelic babies.


She snaps out of her reverie when Kris covers her eyes with a towel. Smiling, he tells her: “Since you’re done washing, you can leave. If you’re here, I can’t shower.”

She totally misses the meaning behind that, and she rushes out. She sighs in relief, “Great, I wasn’t found out!”

But she gets the response, “You have been found out.”


Key stands facing her, arms akimbo. Coming closer, he announces, “I’ve found you out.”

Uh-oh. Amber prays, “Mother Superior, what do I do now?”