Part4

What are Words

 

 

It was about three months after LuHan had visited HaeWon at ChanYeol’s café that he decided to tell her the truth. He contemplated on ways to let her know that he could walk again. He drew scenarios in his head but they all looked ridiculous to him. He just got back from the regular hospital checkup he went to – in secret of course.

LuHan waited for HaeWon to come back home. He decided to just show her instead of telling her. He kept waiting and he wasn’t disappointed. The clock struck 6 pm when the front door opened. LuHan watched as HaeWon walked in, fatigue was painted all over her pale face and he heard a soft sigh escape her lips. He just stood there in the middle of the living room, waiting for her to notice him.

HaeWon looked up and a loud gasp followed. She seemed to be nailed to the floor as she stared at him in disbelief and wonder. LuHan could feel a soft smile grace his lips as he stepped closer to her. Her eyes were big when she realized he was walking and LuHan could feel pride surging through his body. He stared down at her in amusement as she kept on staring at him jaw slacked.

“You.. you can walk..” HaeWon finally stuttered in disbelief.

LuHan looked away and then looked back at her. “Yeah.. I can..”

“That’s great news!” HaeWon clapped her hands excitedly.

LuHan was taken aback by the huge smile on her face and apparent joy twinkling in her eyes.

“Oh my God! I’m so happy for you! Now you can do the things you love again!” HaeWon screamed excitedly. Unknowingly, she had thrown her arms around him in her excitement.

She’s happy… for me?

LuHan smiled a bit and wound his arms around her. He could feel her stiffen but she immediately relaxed as she burrowed her face into his chest mumbling her gratitude towards God and all the holy beings existed. After awhile, he pulled away from her and insisted that she cook something for him. HaeWon laughed but she still complied.

They dined and laughed and they were genuinely happy. LuHan wanted to thank her for putting up with him over the years but the words were stuck in his throat. Remembering that her birthday was on the following day, LuHan planned to confess and set things right on that day itself. It was merely a few hours away anyway. He smiled at his own brilliant idea.

LuHan decided to retire early for the night because he wanted to wake up early to plan her birthday celebration. He was going to need EXO’s help. HaeWon was washing the dishes while humming a happy tune. It had been awhile since she last hummed happily and she was extremely happy with LuHan’s recovery. However, a frown made its way to her face as she recalled him avoiding her question. When did he actually find out he could walk.. and why didn’t he tell her?

Pushing aside all the negative thoughts, HaeWon strode towards their bedroom and took a shower before getting ready for bed. She never knew why LuHan insisted they slept on the same bed although he clearly didn’t enjoy her presence, but she never asked because she knew she was going to be hurt by his answer.

HaeWon saw that LuHan was still awake and reading, but she didn’t dare disturb his peace. She got onto her side of the bed and pulled the blanket over her body.

“Do you remember your promise?” LuHan asked her in a quiet voice.

HaeWon froze at the question.

 

Flashback

“LuHan. Just let me stay by your side, please. You’re not well.. just let me take care of you. I promise I’ll leave once you’re better. I can’t leave you like this! Please…” HaeWon cried and begged for LuHan to let her stay by his side when he found out he was paralyzed.

LuHan didn’t want her love. He didn’t need her pity. He didn’t want her. Still, he knew he needed someone to put up with his crap, so he turned to her and asked coldly, “You promise?”

HaeWon nodded.

“You can leave once I can walk. I don’t need you then.” LuHan said before turning his face away. She was ugly when she cried.

End of flashback

 

HaeWon’s lips trembled when she finally answered him. “O- Of course I do.”

LuHan stared at her face. She really was not a beauty. But his heart filled with slight happiness when she said she remembered her promise. “Great. Good then.”

LuHan told her that they should sleep and he immediately turned to face the wall. He sighed and closed his eyes. He was looking forward to tomorrow, though.

HaeWon lied on the bed carefully and bit her lips so hard that they bled. She didn’t want LuHan to yell at her again for crying. She remembered how he would yell at her and even slap her whenever she cried.

 

 

LuHan was out to celebrate with EXO. They were pleasantly surprised when he came to them by walking in. Their surprise over his recovery was mild comparing to their shock when he had asked for their help to arrange dinner for him and HaeWon. He said he was going to do things right now that he realized how much she had sacrificed for him. He finally believed that she deserved better.

LuHan could still remember ChanYeol being jaw slacked and D.O. with his huge eyes. Even Kris and SeHun were shocked as they both sputtered out their drinks when he told them he was going to ask for HaeWon’s forgiveness. The thoughts made him chuckle. However, his happiness was short lived when he came back to a silent house. He frowned. He called for HaeWon several times but there was no answer.

LuHan looked in the kitchen, in the back yard, in the laundry room and hell, he even looked for her in their walk-in closet. But there was no sign of her. Fear started to grip his heart and he broke out in cold sweat without even knowing why. His gut told him that there was something wrong.

“HaeWon..?”

LuHan pushed the door to their bedroom open and made his way to their bed. He saw a letter and an envelope on the bed. His heart pounded against his chest as he reached out and unfolded the letter first. His eyes widened with every single word his eyes read. He dropped the letter on the floor and tore the envelope open. His tears fell when he saw her signature. It was their divorce papers. LuHan had drawn it the night before the accident. She didn’t sign it when he was sick, but she signed it now that he was well.

LuHan remembered the promise she made him when she begged to stay by his side.

“That wasn’t the promise I was talking about, babo!”

Not knowing what to do, LuHan looked around the room to find a trace of her. There was none. Her usual towel that hung next to his was missing. Her perfume bottle that had always been in front of his cologne was gone too. He searched for her things with his eyes, but he saw something that wasn’t supposed to be there. It was sitting on the bedside table. It gleamed in the light. It was her wedding band.

LuHan picked up the ring and traced the words engraved inside of the ring – Xi LuHan’s wife. Tears streamed down his beautiful face and he screamed in agony. He felt the pain of being alone and left behind in full force and he clutched his heart, trying his best to stifle the pain as he wailed his loss.

For the first time ever, LuHan wished he couldn’t walk.

 

 

SeHun called LuHan saying that HaeWon was boarding a flight to God knows where in less than an hour. He was at the airport, fetching his cousin when he saw HaeWon’s haggard form. He wanted to approach her and ask her why wasn’t she at home but seeing the suitcase she was pulling behind her at the check in counter caused him to panic and immediately inform the deer of EXO.

LuHan ran towards the check in counter and asked for the flight number, leaving SeHun dumbstruck for LuHan didn’t even greet him when he usually did. He saw his friend’s panic stricken face and he knew something was terribly wrong. When he saw Kris and ChanYeol running behind LuHan, he sprinted after them.

SeHun gasped when LuHan pushed everyone who was in his way and tried to bolt through the security at the departure gate. He watched as LuHan struggled against the security officers’ hold and kept on screaming for his wife but to no avail. Kris held him back when he wanted to go to LuHan.

LuHan roared his frustrations and rushed to the glass window the moment the officers let him go. He saw the plane HaeWon was on. That was the only plane that was taking off at the moment and he was sure his wife was in it. He punched the thick glass, but it only hurt his hand.

LuHan stared as the plane moved on the track and took off right before his eyes. His wife was already in the sky, a place he couldn’t reach. He was too late.

 

Flashback

It was one of those rare nights where LuHan had gotten drunk and to top it off, he had fever. Of course, HaeWon was there to care for him and nurse him back to health and sanity.

“Hey, HaeWon?”

“Hmm?”

“Promise me you won’t leave me like she did. You’ll stay with me no matter what happens, right?”

“Of course, LuHan. You’re my husband. Who else would I be with?”

“You promise?”

“I promise.”

LuHan closed his eyes and HaeWon leaned forward to kiss his forehead.

“I don’t think you’re gonna remember any of this.. you’re drunk after all.”

“I love you. Even if I won’t ever have you.. I just love you.” She kissed his lips softly and whispered against them, “but sometimes, I wish you could love me too.. even if it’s just a little.. because it gets lonely being me, LuHan. You’re here, but I feel so alone..”

A single tear slipped her closed eyes and HaeWon quickly wiped it away.

HaeWon might not know it, but LuHan remembered everything because he was the type who remembered everything no matter how drunk he was. And truth be told, he wasn’t actually sleeping. So he heard everything HaeWon said to him.

He even heard her silent sobs and it took him everything he had not to turn and comfort her. He didn’t know how to… and he didn’t have the right to, he was the reason for her tears after all.  

 

End of flashback

 

 

LuHan placed a hand on the glass window and rested his head against the cold surface.

You promised not to leave, Haewon ah…

Tears fell anew and he didn’t do anything to stop them. He couldn’t stop them. Kris who had driven him to the airport placed a comforting hand on his shoulder and the shorter turned before sobbing into the giant’s chest like a child. ChanYeol who tagged along took a deep breath before engulfing the two males with his arms. Even SeHun cried as he witnessed how broken his favourite hyung was.

LuHan might have been an towards HaeWon, but he was still his friend. And right now, his friend needed him. Plus, he promised HaeWon to take care of LuHan if she was not around and he was not going to break that promise.

HaeWon, if only you saw me first before making this decision. I know you’re hurting, HaeWon.. LuHan hyung is hurting too. ChanYeol sighed as he tightened his hold on LuHan, holding back his own tears for the pain both of his friends were in. He could only hope that the future would be better for both of them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N : The last part of this story. I thank those who have subscribed. I thank you for the comments. I love comments. So, let me know what you think of the story.. ^^