Part1

What are Words

 

 

LuHan slipped quietly into the crowded café. He wasn’t supposed to be there. He was supposed to be at home, resting. But that was all he ever did for the past 7 months. He needed to get the hell out of the house just for awhile, without his wife knowing. Yes, he was married. He was already 28 years old. EXO members had all grown older and no, they had not disbanded. They just took a year break due to his accident.

 

Back to his wife. Well, her name was HaeWon. She wasn’t pretty or anything. She was just normal. Average. Nothing special. No. Really.

 

LuHan loved another person. She was a Chinese, like him. She was pretty, demure, kind, fair skinned, big innocent eyes, her hair long and shiny and soft and the list goes on and on. That was how in love LuHan was with her. He decided to marry her and planned everything and told everyone he was getting married. But she turned him down. You see, while LuHan was turning 26 years old, his lover was only 22 years old. She wasn’t prepared to be domestic.

 

LuHan was devastated. However, arrangements had been made. So, LuHan was determined to have a wedding. It didn’t matter that the bride wasn’t the one he loved because none of the invited guests knew who his lover was anyway.

 

HaeWon came into the picture when LuHan wanted to pick up SeHun’s niece from school. He didn’t know why, but the moment SeHun’s niece said that her English teacher had always loved EXO, LuHan decided to meet this teacher. And here was where they were after two years.

 

Right now, he was in the café, sitting in the furthest corner trying to keep a low profile. He had worn a hood over his head and casual dull clothes to keep himself off of the fans’ sensitive radar. He scanned the stage and searched for her.

 

There she was. HaeWon. His wife. She was standing on the little stage at the other end of the café. She was wearing a long simple dress. Her hair was also done in a simple manner. She was no celebrity. She was just a local café singer at night, and an English teacher during the day. She sang in the café 3 times a week, just for fun she had said. Sometimes, she would even bring her students and sing English songs together.

 

The café actually belonged to ChanYeol. The tall rapper was rich and he loved coffee, so he just bought the café when he heard the owner was going to sell it. But that wasn’t what this story about.

 

LuHan looked around the café and he could see couples, men and women alike sitting or standing quietly, waiting for HaeWon to begin. He could tell that she was well liked here. He scowled when he saw a teenage boy suddenly went up the stage and handed her a single rose.

 

You’re too young for her, kid. He scoffed mentally.

 

He scowled even more when a man in suit – a businessman from the looks of it – went up the stage and handed her another rose. Like the first one, HaeWon only smiled at thanked the man for the gift.

 

“Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. My name is HaeWon, for those who are new here..” a collective chuckle was heard across the room.

 

HaeWon smiled before continuing. “Well, tomorrow is a special day for me. You see, tomorrow is my anniversary with my husband. It’s our second year anniversary, actually.”

 

Really? He had forgotten about it. It wasn’t like his wedding day was a memorable day for him anyway, getting married to a woman he didn’t love and all.

 

“You’re married?” A surprised female customer asked. HaeWon only answered her with a light laughter and a nod. She even lifted her hand to show her wedding band to the crowd. The room was filled with groans, gasps and whispers.

 

“I don’t believe you, HaeWon-ssi.” The room quieted as all eyes searched for the voice.

 

HaeWon raised her left eyebrow and tilted her head asking a silent why.

 

“Where’s your man, then?”

 

The room was filled with eerie silence when the man in the suit asked her skeptically. He had actually been trying to court her for almost three months. But LuHan didn’t know that.

 

I’m right here, you buff idiotic moron! LuHan glared at the man from afar.

 

HaeWon took a deep calming breath before answering with a sad smile. “Well, he’s at home. My husband got into an accident months back and the doctor said he was paralyzed waist down. So, he can’t be here with us.”

 

A drunken male scoffed. How do people get drunk in a freaking café, LuHan didn’t know. The crowd snapped their attention towards him.

 

“Waist down? And you’re still with him? A woman like you should be with an able man.. who can move everything.”

 

LuHan was about to march towards the drunkard and punch his face when HaeWon calmly countered his words. “I’m sorry, sir. But please refrain from talking about my husband that way. I love him. I’m not after his worldly assets. I’ve got my own.. well not much, but at least I’ve got my own.”

 

That last remark earned nervous chuckles from the customers.

 

“But tonight isn’t about that. Tonight is to celebrate love. Lost love. Unrequited love. Crazy love. Stupid love. Heartbreaking love. Love.” HaeWon smiled again, the slight frown that was on her face seconds before disappeared.

 

“Now, I know some of you are married. Can I see the hands of married people and people who are getting married in here?”

 

LuHan scanned the floor and saw that about three quarter of the crowd put their hands up. Wow.

 

“Well, that’s good. Tonight I’ll sing a song to remind us and celebrate our promises, the vows we made to each other.. and of course, love.” Again, the crowd laughed quietly. LuHan was impressed with her people skills.

 

“To those who are single, be joyous for sometimes broken promises from your partner are more hurtful then being on your own.” LuHan swore he could see pain in her eyes when she said this but that glint disappeared just as quickly. LuHan took a sip from his cup while his eyes followed HaeWon who was adjusting the mike stand.

 

Suddenly the crowd went wild. LuHan looked at the source and saw his friend on the stage. He raised a surprised brow.

 

“Hey, wassup guys? I’m ChanYeol. I know you know who I am. Hi!” ChanYeol greeted the audience enthusiastically.

 

Loud laughter filled the room. Still the happy virus.

 

“This lady here is a friend of mine and she’s actually here because I made her promise to be here. Once she finishes here, I’m sure she’ll want to head home early. So guys, please, I know you guys usually have your own little group talk with her after the show, but she can’t tonight, alright? And oh, tonight I’ll be the one playing the piano instead of her. Is that okay?”

 

She can play the piano? LuHan couldn’t help but wonder.

 

Encouraging claps and hoots followed his question and ChanYeol immediately took his place behind the piano that was placed right at the corner of stage. The room was completely quiet when ChanYeol pressed the first key of the song. Soon, HaeWon’s voice filled the space and LuHan could see some of the members in the audience were closing their eyes as she sang.

 

Pain gripped his heart and tore it apart with every single word that came out of . Unwanted tears filled his eyes but he blinked them away. He stared on blankly. It was when loud claps were heard that he snapped out of his daze. He dragged his eyes to HaeWon’s face and the pain in his chest doubled when he saw her glassy eyes. Even from afar, he could see the pain in her eyes and behind the smile she wore as a mask.

 

LuHan tore his gaze away when ChanYeol enveloped her in a warm friendly hug. Of course his friend knew how badly he treated her before. And that only added shame to his already guilt ridden heart. He placed a bill on the table beside his cup and slipped out into the night. 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N : Comments are loved, so let me know what you think. ^^