Tuesday

Like Coffee
Living is easy with eyes closed
Misunderstanding all you see
It's getting hard to be someone
But it all works out

Strawberry Fields Forever by The Beatles

“Hey, I’ll be leaving early. I’ve already asked the manager so no worries. I’ll be leaving the café in your care. I know you’re a responsible kid. Bye, Kyungie!” Kyungsoo’s fellow employee, Luhan, says to him as he grabs his coat and waves good-bye. Kyungsoo sighs, even though this isn’t the first time Luhan’s left early for reasons that he has yet to know. He grabs a chair behind the counter and sits on it, bored. Tuesday nights are lonely, Kyungsoo concluded.

 

It was strange because Kyungsoo found himself waiting--waiting for something that he wasn’t even sure of. He glances at the window to his right, and he sees a man with his back facing towards him. It doesnt take too long for Kyungsoo to realize that its the guy from yesterday. He is buying strawberries, still having that expressionless look on his face. The man turns towards what looks like the café, and Kyungsoo immediately spins in his seat, flustered and embarrassed at the thought of the guy knowing that Kyungsoo was looking at him.

 

The bell dings as the door opens, and when Kyungsoo turns his gaze towards the door, he sees him. He looks around the café, particularly looking at the bouquet of flowers that were near the door. Kyungsoo could’ve sworn he saw him smile, even just a little bit. The guy falls in line this time, not lazing around.

 

“Hello sir, may I have your order?” Kyungsoo looks up and smiles at him.

 

 

“Oh, hey. I’ll have black coffee,” he nods at Kyungsoo.

 

As he gave the money and as Kyungsoo gave back the change, their fingers slightly touch and Kyungsoo feels his skin--rough. 

 

 

Just like the day before, he seats himself somewhere far and lonely. He blows on his cup of coffee and drinks a little. Then, he takes the paper bag he had placed on the table a while back and picks one strawberry from it. He dips the said strawberry in his coffee, and Kyungsoo has to blink a few times because he doesn't believe it. He raises an eyebrow, confused. The guy just continued to enjoy dipping his little strawberries in his bitter drink.

 

The guy stayed until closing time, having just arrived about twenty minutes before that. In fact, the café was just accommodating two people for the past five minutes, and Kyungsoo felt awkward since he was still looking at that guy, wondering what was on his mind.

 

“Hey,” Kyungsoo takes the seat in front of the man and smiles.

 

“Oh, hey. You want me to leave?” The other stops reading his book and looks at Kyungsoo.

 

“No, I don’t really want t, like, go home yet anyways,” Kyungsoo has no idea what the hell he was doing, since he never actually does these kinds of things with customers.

 

The man just continues to drink his cup and munch on what is left of his bag of strawberries. “Hmm…I think I know what’s up. You’re weirded out. You’re weirded out by me,” He smiles genuinely. “Don’t worry. I get that a lot. I’m Jongin,” he reaches out his hand to the stunned boy in front of him.

 

Kyungsoo shakes his head a bit. “Wow, I’m sorry about that. No, I’m not weirded out. More like, amazed or something. Kyungsoo, by the way,” he takes Jongin’s hand and shakes it.

 

“I think they go well together,” Jongin states. He tilts his head a bit as he crossed his arms and looks at Kyungsoo. “I mean, the coffee. And the strawberries. Something bitter and something sweet. Kind of unlikely now, is it?”

 

“I guess so,” Kyungsoo smirks.

 

“I actually have one more strawberry here, and a bit of coffee,” Jongin says, dipping the strawberry in. “Wanna try?” He offers it to Kyungsoo, eyes glistening with eagerness.

 

“S-sure,” Kyungsoo gives an uneasy smile and shuts his eyes as he took a bite of it. It's kind of gross, since he doesn't even find strawberries sweet, but it was nice in some ways. “Not bad,” Kyungsoo beams.

 

Jongin laughs and shakes his head. “If only…” Jongin doesn’t continue his sentence and gazes at Kyungsoo. Suddenly, Jongin’s phone vibrates.

 

“Thanks for the time, I’m sorry again. See you tomorrow,” Jongin waves, picking his phone up and leaving the shop.