Searching

Language Barriers

The small girl’s sobs quieted. She hiccupped softly as she wiped her face with chubby, small fists.

They had led her to their table gently after clearing the misunderstanding with Cassie. It had taken a while to get the suspicious gleam out of Cassie’s eyes. Jonghyun felt slightly offended. Did all of his fans think he was a player that flirted with women all the time? (A/N: /coughs violently >->)

He pouted as he held the child in his lap. Both of the girls’ attention was on her. It was like their womanly instincts had kicked in all of the sudden. They were cooing and offering the girl food. The small girl accepted a cookie that Cassie had bought and chewed on it quietly.

“What’s your name, sweetheart?” Amy asked.

The little girl paused, looking at Amy with wide eyes.

 “Kennedy.” She said, softly.

Jonghyun smiled. He her hair. It was amazing to see how shy she was after they had seen her crying so loudly.

“And are you here with your parents?” Cassie asked gently.

Kennedy nodded quickly, clutching on to Jonghyun’s sleeve. “My daddy and me.” She said, gaining a little strength in her voice. She lifted her chin stubbornly. “Mommy is at work. She works all the way across the world!” she said, her eyes shining proudly.

“Oh really? What does your Mom do? “Amy asked, smiling.

Kennedy beamed. “She works at this biiiiig company! She’s the boss!” she said, making big gestures with her hands.

Jonghyun watched her chatter to the other girls with a smile on his face. He didn’t know everything she was saying, but he knew she was talking about her mom. And by the look in her eye, she loved her very much. He wondered how long they could keep her occupied before she realized that he was not her father and she was completely lost.

“Kennedy, how old are you?” Amy asked.

“I’m 5 years old! Today is my birthday! Me and Daddy were buying Cotton Candy when I saw Daffy Duck so I chased after him but…” she cut off with a hiccup. Tears started to roll down her face again. “I couldn’t find Daddy and...And...” she sobbed loudly.

Amy took her hand from across the table. Her eyebrows knitted together. “Shhh...It’s ok. We’ll find him ok?”

Jonghyun hugged the girl in his arms. He gently rocked her, frowning. She had finally realized. Great.

“Should we take her to the front?” Cassie whispered in Amy’s ear. Amy bit her lip. She didn’t know if they could get away with moving her without her having a tantrum.  Jonghyun stared at the girls as Kennedy cried helplessly on his lap.A little help here?!

Kennedy pushed against Jonghyun’s chest with her small hands. “You’re not my daddy! You liar! Let me go!” she screamed. She slapped his chest.

Jonghyun grew flustered as she squirmed in his arms. He shot the girls a desperate look. Amy quickly jumped up and gently soothed the girl. She looked up at Jonghyun as she kneeled in front of him and an understanding passed between them. Amy took Kennedy’s hand.

“We’re not gonna hurt you, sweetie. We’re here to help, ok? Mr. Dino here is a really sweet guy and he’s worried about you. Can you calm down so we can brainstorm on how to find your Dad?” she asked, touching Jonghyun’s knee gently when she mentioned him.

Jonghyun shuddered involuntarily and Amy’s gaze flickered to him before returning to the girl.

“Amy’s trying to calm the girl down so we can maybe get her to explain where she last saw her Dad. If we head there, he might be looking for her in that area.” Cassie said to him, making him lift his gaze to her.

Cassie smiled at him. “She might have also said a few nice things about you.” She said, winking at him.

He glowered at her but secretly wished that he could understand English so he could know just what those nice things were. He could woo millions of fangirls with one gaze, a lip bit or a flash of his abs but his “charms” didn’t seem to faze Amy. He sighed mentally. He would have to try harder.

Amy tucked a strand of curly blonde hair behind her ear. Kennedy’s sobs quieted until they stopped completely. She nodded at Amy and Amy smiled gently at her, wiping the girl’s tears. Jonghyun felt a smile flutter across his face at the gentle gesture.

“Do you think you can show us where you got the Cotton Candy? “ Amy asked, Kennedy’s hair.   

She sniffled and nodded again. Amy took her hand and Kennedy slid off of Jonghyun’s lap. She looked up at him as he stood. He looked down at her curiously. She offered her other hand to him hopefully. His heart swelled.
“Sorry for hitting you.” She murmured softly.

He smiled gently, understanding that she was apologizing and tousled her hair. He took her hand.

Cassie sighed from the back. “I’m getting really tired of being the third wheel. I need to teach them how to communicate so they don’t need me anymore. Maybe if they get together, Jonghyun can introduce me to Key. “She muttered to herself. She looked back up at the two who looked a lot like a sweet couple with their kid.

“Piece of cake.” She said.  A mischievous grin spread across her face.

Jonghyun glanced over at Amy and noticed that she was looking at him. He turned his head to meet her gaze and her eyes widened. She broke eye contact and ducked her head. Jonghyun blinked, confused. When she didn’t say anything he shrugged and looked away. Amy put her hand over her face, hiding her blush.

That was close. I really need to stop staring at him. I mean...he’s really attractive and all but...it’d be really chaotic if he found out that I’m starting to really like him. As more than a friend. Ugh.  Amy thought, keeping her gaze straight ahead.

Kennedy led them forward, her face determined. They passed several rides and the group kept a lookout for a desperate looking man who may or may not look like Jonghyun.

“Honey, it may help if we know what your daddy looks like.” Amy said to Kennedy. Kennedy looked at her, her eyes wide as if she just thought of that.

“Oh yeah! “ She exclaimed. She pouted as she thought. She stopped walking and the three paused, looking at her expectantly.

“Welll...he’s really handsome and he has brown hair and brown eyes...” she started. Jonghyun understood her simple description and swelled with pride at the handsome comment.

Jonghyun smirked. I can see where she could mix us up...We’re both attractive me-“Oh! And he’s really tall!” Kennedy exclaimed, smiling big. Jonghyun deflated. He could hear Cassie snickering behind him. He turned to glare at her and sulked.

Amy hid a smile behind her hand as she watched Jonghyun pout. His height was obviously a complex for him.

Jonghyun grumbled under his breath. “Why’s everyone hatin’ on the short guy?”

Maybe I should make a club or something for all the short men in kpop…yeah...And name it “Chicks Dig Short Men” or “Short and Spicy”…I could invite Jay Park and the Big Bang members to join! –wait no, not TOP...he’s too tall. There should be a height requirement...likeyou have to be under this many centimeters to join or something…yeah that sounds cool. And I won’t invite any of my members just to scorn them. Muhahaha. I mean Heechul Hyung gets to have a club and all the evil maknaes have some kind of a cult- SO WHY CAN’T I?! Dude this gonna be so awe-

“Jonghyun!” Cassie yelled, snapping Jonghyun out of his thoughts.

“Yes?” he asked, dazed.

“We kind of want to continue looking if that’s ok with you? Or are you going to continue standing there looking into space?” She asked.

Jonghyun flushed, glancing at Amy to see her looking at him with an amused expression. Kennedy sighed and shook her little head. Jonghyun flushed an even darker red.

“Fine, I get it! Let’s go!” He snapped, striding forward. Note to self: Don’t get lost in thoughts again to avoid further embarrassment. Thank god Amy and Cassie aren’t mind readers. I would never hear the end of it.

He suddenly felt panicked at the thought that one of them could read his mind. He glanced wildly at the both of them. Cassie shook her head, recognizing one of Jonghyun’s weird episodes. Jonghyun eventually calmed down and returned to his mellow self and they continued to walk.

Kennedy stopped suddenly and pointed to a Cotton Candy stand. “That’s where we were.” She said, quietly.

They walked quickly up to the stand and Amy cleared to get the attention of the worker, who was cleaning the stand. The burly man looked up. “May I help you?” he asked. He eyed the group.

“Yes, we’re looking for this girl’s father. She said that they were here earlier. Do you remember?” Cassie asked, stepping forward.

The man looked down at Kennedy, his face softening. He looked back up at Cassie. “I do remember. He was real frantic when he realized she was gone. He kept asking me if I saw where she went. When I told him no, he went off toward the kid’s rollercoaster. He said if I saw her to point her in that direction.” He said, looking at each of them.

Cassie and Amy nodded eagerly. “Thank you so much!” they said. They rushed off in the direction of the kid’s roller coaster, dragging Jonghyun behind them. Kennedy was running ahead of the group, having dropped both of Amy’s and Jonghyun’s hands.

“Good luck!” The man called.

Amy waved back at him. The group rushed off quickly, to where they hoped they could finally find Kennedy’s father.

________________________________________________________________________________

Whew! Done! Once again, I’m a terrible person...I’m sorry!  ;-; I didn’t keep my promise but I made it extra long as an apology!

Yes- Cassie is a Locket! :D

Poor Jonghyun. It’s ok baby! I love you even though you’re lacking in the height department! And yes, those are the thoughts I think Jonghyun has when he spaces out. He’s forming an evil shorter men secret group!!! GASSP!

Ok but seriously-

6JIB is coming soon! Woot, woot! 8 of the teasers are out! Can’t wait for Kangin’s comeback! I’m a little nervous about the concept though. I’m still not sure how I feel about Hyuk’s almost mullet. Oh wells.

Love you guys so much! Thank you for reading! <333