Stuck in Texas

Language Barriers

Jonghyun stared into space, trying to absorb all that was happening.  He stumbled over to the coach and sat down heavily.  He put his head in his hands and groaned. Jonghyun lifted his head up when he felt someone place a hand softly on his shoulder.

“Are you okay?” Amy asked, worry gracing her features.

Jonghyun looked her with wide, desperate eyes. He bit his lip and sniffed, willing himself not to cry in front of this cute girl he just met.  He was not going to be a crybaby again.

Amy sat down next to him on the couch and frowned. She held his hand softly with both of hers.

“Are you okay?” she asked again.

Jonghyun shook his head, his fringe covering his eyes.

“Your friends?” she asked, her hand tightening.

She wants to know if my friends are able to come...Jonghyun thought, understanding.

“No...busy.” he said. He was suddenly feeling the loss of Amy’s phone.  They couldn’t hold a conversation due to the language barrier. He sighed.

Amy bit her lip, pulling out her phone and plugging it into the charger on the wall. Jonghyun’s eyes lit up. She typed in something and handed it to Jonghyun.  Jonghyun took it quickly, eager to get past the awkward silence.

“Are your friends not able to pick you up? What did you mean by busy? “ he read.

Jonghyun sighed. He glanced over at Amy, who was looking at him expectantly. She bit her lip and gestured to the phone. She looked genuinely worried. Jonghyun wasn’t sure if it was over the fact that she had some strange Korean man in her home that conveniently wasn’t able to contact his friends or that she was actually worried about him and why he was acting like he was. –He hoped it was the latter. He turned back to the phone and sighed again.

Might as well tell her everything…

_______________________

 

After a long period of handing the phone back and forth, Jonghyun fully explained that he was a part of a popular Korean band named SHINee that had recently performed in Texas, and that his band members were in California on business and couldn’t pick him up in a couple of days.

What Jonghyun wasn’t expecting was the light of recognition that lit up Amy’s face when she understood why the fangirls had been in the park.

She quickly typed in something, a smile spreading across her face.  She handed Jonghyun the phone, her face bright.

“I know who you are! -Well, sort of.  My roommate loves Korean boy bands. She went to your concert recently. I didn’t remember until just now. I knew your name sounded familiar.” She said.

Jonghyun’s eyes widened. He stared at Amy. Amy nodded, grinning. She pulled Jonghyun up from the couch by his arm. “Come on, I’ll show you.” She said, slipping her hand into his and leading him into the bedroom past the kitchen. 

Jonghyun’s jaw dropped.  One wall was decorated with several different kpop posters, many being SHINee’s. The bedroom was almost comically split into two, the two beds in the room covered in contrasting colors and the posters on the opposite side, which Jonghyun figured to  be Amy’s, were instead a few American bands he recognized and a giant Harry Potter poster.

“Wow..” he said.

Amy grinned, nodding. She led him back into the living room and typed something on her phone.

“My friend should be back soon. She can speak some Korean, so maybe we can finally get past this awkward typing?” she said.

Jonghyun chuckled at the coincidence. At least they would have some type of translator, which he was definitely more comfortable with. That is...if her friend wouldn’t mind. Hopefully she wasn’t some kind of crazed fangirl. He liked Amy and wanted to know a lot more about her, and a screaming fangirl of a roommate would not help the relationship.

“Does your friend.um...like us a lot?” Jonghyun replied.

Amy laughed. She glanced at Jonghyun, a knowing look in her eyes.

“Yes, but she won’t froth at the mouth if she sees you our anything. She loves you, but she hates those kinds of fans.” She said. Her eyes twinkled as Jonghyun looked up after reading it.

“That’s a relief.” Jonghyun replied.

Amy laughed again before her face turned serious. Her brow crinkled slightly as she typed.

“How did you get separated from your friends in the first place?” she asked.

Jonghyun sighed. He hesitated before typing.

“My band and I were ambushed when we were shopping. We all hopped into the van and pulled into the closest remote place we could find. We decided to go into the park. But we didn’t know that they followed us there too. We were resting on the benches when they snuck up on us. We split up into different directions. I got lost and Taemin- our youngest member- had my phone. So they were all able to get back together and I guess they had to escape and couldn’t find me, so they left. Apparently they had some important meeting they had to go to that they didn’t need me for.” He explained.

Amy’s eyes widened.

“And so...They just left you?” she replied. She looked at Jonghyun with disbelief on her face.

Jonghyun shrugged slightly at her before typing,” Business called. They couldn’t help it. They probably knew I would find a way out.” He said, trying to keep bitterness out of his tone.

“B-but how would they know that for sure?! That’s so mean! I’m glad I found you before anyone else!” she replied, shaking her head in disapproval.

Jonghyun laughed, his heart warming at her concern. “They would have gotten in trouble with our company. Actually, our company probably doesn’t’ even know I’m not with them. My band knows I’m okay now. And it’s not like my band wanted to leave me.” He said, defending s.

“Hmm...” Amy hummed, pouting. She didn’t respond.

Jonghyun smiled, patting her back. Surely the situation he was in wasn’t so bad. He had met Amy. And he was coming to like her a lot. She was sweet and caring, even though she barely knew him. It was a nice difference from the usual stuck-up idols and insane fangirls. There were a few good friends he had that were female idols, but most of them kept to their groups. He loved his fans, but some of them plain scared him.

Amy gave him a small smile. Jonghyun gazed down at her. Her green eyes searched his. Jonghyun’s hand slowed its patting, eventually resting on her back. Amy lifted her hand slightly, reaching forward.

They jolted from their moment when the front door opened and a tall brunette girl walked in.

She took off her shoes at the front and stretched and groaned. “I’m home! Ahhh... long day.”

Jonghyun and Amy sat frozen, staring at her. Jonghyun’s hand pulled away from Amy’s back quickly. Amy dropped her hand.

She glanced at the couch where Amy and Jonghyun were sitting.

“Hey, Amy. Hey, Jonghyun.” She said casually waving. She walked towards the kitchen. Jonghyun and Amy exchanged a look. Amy’s roommate screeched to a halt at the kitchen entrance. She walked quickly back into the living room.

“JONGHYUN?!” she yelled, her eyes wide.

_______________________

 OH SNAP! THE ROOMIE'S BACK! :O

I’m so sorry! T-T I’m a terrible person. OTL

I’m sorry for not updating sooner! I’ve been really busy. >< I’ll try to update more often!