An Interlude, Tattoos and A Love

Of Love and Games
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 2

An Interlude, Tattoos and A Love

 

 

Interlude I

 

Chanhee had stayed behind after school to practise singing. He knew that the chief fault did not lie with his technique. In fact, he was the best in the school and probably in the whole region as far as his technique was concerned. However, he had the worst fear a singer could have - stage fright. Nevertheless, Chanhee hoped that he might be able to overcome it if he practised even harder.

 

Tired and thirsty, he reached for his bubble tea.

 

"You know you are going about it the wrong way."

 

Chanhee choked on his drink, startled. He was supposed to be alone here! He whirled around to see L.Joe sniggering – L.Joe, the weird foreigner who did not get along with anyone.

 

Chanhee had been instructed by his homeroom teacher to help L.Joe with his school work since he had transferred in the middle of the year. But the blonde only jeered at him when Chanhee had offered to help. Even though L.Joe only returned his attempts with a snarl or indifference, he continued to prod him. It was mortifying and took quite some courage because of his natural diffidence but he did it all the same.

 

Lately, L.Joe had stopped being nasty although he still didn’t listen to anything Chanhee said.

 

"Wow! You aren't just shy but jumpy, too. How cute!"

 

Chanhee felt colour rising up his face. "What do you want? Only club members are allowed here."

 

L.Joe was amused by his reply. "Says who?" he commented teasingly and entered the room. He looked about for a while then walked up to Chanhee.

 

Chanhee hated him sauntering about in that manner but he was too flustered to say anything. He was almost scared when he saw L.Joe heading towards him. He barely stopped a feet away from Chanhee.

 

It was too close for his comfort and he looked down, trying to avoid L.Joe’s eyes. He flinched away as L.Joe cupped his jaw with one hand. However, the latter stepped closer to him and maintained his grip.

 

"Look at me," L.Joe coaxed him. "Chanhee."

 

Finally, Chanhee lifted his eyes to meet L.Joe's.

 

"Why are you so scared of me?” He waited for a reply, but the other boy was quiet. “Say Chanhee, why don’t you sing for me?"

 

"What?" whispered Chanhee.

 

L.Joe was way too close to him. He could almost feel his breath as he spoke. "Sing for me. Don't think of anything else when you sing. Just think of me."

 

Chanhee flushed even more. His heart was racing. "Why?" he managed to gasp out.

 

"Aww, you won't? That makes me sad!" L.Joe pretended that he was hurt but smiled as Chanhee looked at him apprehensively. "Just try. You are such an awesome singer. Don't you want your voice to reach out to everyone?"

 

He placed his other hand on Chanhee's chest. "Wow! Even if you are a handsome guy with a golden voice, a rough guy like me can make your heart beat this fast? Not cool!" laughed L.Joe.

 

Chanhee pushed him away and stepped back. "It's not... I don't..."

 

L.Joe winked mischievously. "Just joking! You are a really serious guy, aren't you? Come on, is this the song you were singing? Yes, I think I can manage this."

 

"Manage it?"

 

"Oh, on the piano, I meant," clarified L.Joe. "I'll give you the music." He sat down at the piano and arranged the music sheets. "Don't just stand around there! Start singing!"

 

Chunji woke up with a start. He turned a little to look down. If he slept in his room, he used the upper bunk bed.

 

Niel was softly singing to himself as he went about cleaning their room. It was that song. The first song he had ever sung for L.Joe. It was not Niel’s fault. He couldn’t possibly know something like that.

 

The sun lit up their room brightly. Chunji thought it must be almost noon.

 

He lay still and closed his eyes again. It wasn’t a dream. It was a ing memory. It was a hateful, hateful memory, he thought bitterly.

 

And that was why he absolutely hated sleeping alone. All those nightmares were ready to haunt him the moment he missed L.Joe even a little.

 

-----

 

“C.A.P.-hyung.”

 

“What?” asked Chunji, who was getting dressed.

 

“Have you heard of someone with that name? I was wondering what he was majoring in.” Niel asked him. Chunji seemed to know anybody and everybody even though they had been there for only three months. Moreover, C.A.P.-hyung had been quite good-looking and had been partying the night Chunji had been out. He was just the type of person who would catch Chunji’s eye.

 

“C.A.P.? You mean like a ‘hat’? Why would anyone call himself that?” Chunji laughed.

 

Niel frowned. “It is a nickname. Anything can be a nickname.”

 

Chunji was quick to catch on to the undertone of disapproval Niel showed for him. He grinned. “Oh, is it someone you are interested in? And a guy? Niel-ah, mamma is proud of you!”

 

Niel evaded Chunji’s attempt to hug him. “Stop it! It is someone you should be interested in because you should be thanking him! He is the one who wrote your essay, you know.”

 

Niel recounted the events of the previous night to Chunji as they headed to the cafeteria to get some lunch.

 

Chunji was surprised. “Well, that’s rare! I haven’t met anyone who would be so kind to a first year!”

 

“Ah! I remember he had brown hair!” Niel said, hoping it would strike a chord.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter