An Essay, A Stranger and A Friend

Of Love and Games
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Of Love And Games

 

Chapter 1

An Essay, A Stranger and A Friend

 

Niel rubbed his eyes and took a sip of the coffee that had now gone cold. It didn't help even a bit. His eyes were heavy with sleep. His head was throbbing in pain. But the Music History essay was due in five hours and he had yet to begin it. It had to be written in English and Niel was still struggling through the textbook.

 

'I need more coffee,' he thought, looking helplessly at the volumes spread out in front of him. He absolutely could not afford to flunk any class since he had come to this college against his parents' wishes. But it was proving much harder than he had imagined.

 

As he got up, he glanced at the empty bed on the other side of the room.

 

It was three in the morning but his roommate, Chunji, was still out partying. They had opted for the same course and were taking the same classes but Chunji seemed unfazed by the workload. It wasn't because he was either too good or too bad at studying. It was Chunji's way of dealing with his past and Niel wasn't going to judge him for it. However much he wished to help Chunji, he knew that it would be useless. So he took care of him from afar in any way he could.

 

As Niel reached the vending machine situated near the entrance of his hostel, he found that someone was sitting on the bench near it.

 

‘What is wrong with him?’ wondered Niel for the guy sat with his head down, massaging his forehead. The shock of untidy golden-brown hair was unfamiliar to Niel. He knew a lot of students moved around with dyed hair but he was only familiar with Chunji’s shade of blonde.

 

“Are you okay... sir?” asked Niel, tightly holding on to his can of coffee. He was feeling nervous. This was probably a senior because none of the newcomers except Chunji had dyed their hair. It was a sort of unspoken rule. Just like the fact that you had to address your seniors with utmost respect.

 

The guy just mumbled something unintelligible.

 

“Can I... can I get you something... sir?” he stammered out. He had no idea if the senior had asked him for help or told him to leave him alone.

 

Finally, he lifted up his head and looked at Niel.

 

Niel grew increasingly nervous for it was undoubtedly a senior – and he was probably drunk.

 

“Some water...”

 

Even as Niel fumbled in his wallet for change and brought the water bottle to him, he kept thinking about how deep his voice was. Was this guy his senior in Vocals, then?

 

The senior gulped down the water and heaved a deep sigh.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Is there anything else I can get you... sir?” Niel had still not gotten used to the formalities they had to practice here.

 

“C.A.P.”

 

Niel looked at him blankly.

 

“Call me C.A.P.-hyung. I hate all the formal crap.”

 

“Oh... yeah... sir... I mean C.A.P.-hyung...” Niel was usually very talkative but he just stumbled on his words when he was nervous. He hated this about himself.

 

C.A.P. chuckled. “You are quite a funny one. You don’t seem to be back from clubbing, though. So what are you doing here at three in the morning?”

 

Niel’s face fell as he thought of the assignment that lay in wait for him upstairs.

 

“I need to submit an essay tomorrow but I haven’t even started it. It is very important but so difficult!”

 

“Tell me,” said C.A.P., closing his eyes and holding up the bottle to cool his forehead.

 

“I have to write a comparative study of the most influential Classical musicians of eighteenth century,” explained Niel, his voice sorrowful, “in English.”

 

C.A.P. burst out laughing. “People have written volumes about it! How are you supposed to write a mere essay about it?”

 

Niel toyed with his can of coffee. He was going to fail it for sure now.

 

“Professor Lee’s project, no doubt,” said C.A.P., shaking his head. “That man is insane. Come on, what are you standing there for? Let’s begin working on it!”

 

Niel was dumbfounded. “You will help me?”

 

“At your level, it would take you weeks to come up with something readable, dongsaeng! Don’t linger now. Which room?”

 

Niel couldn’t believe his luck. There was no way he could have come up with something halfway as decent as with a senior’s help. And by the sound of it, C.A.P. knew what he was talking about.

 

C.A.P. pulled over Chunji’s chair so that he was sitting next to Niel. “So we’ve got about four and a half hours to crack this down, huh? We can manage in about three working together.”

 

“Oh,” Niel let out an involuntary sigh and immediately regretted it.

 

C.A.P. raised a brow. “Not fast enough for you, huh?”
 

Niel shook his head vigorously. “No, no, hyung, I’m very much – extremely obliged for your help!”

 

“But?” prompted C.A.P.. He did not sound angry at all, merely curious.

 

“Ah, I was thinking of changing a bit of my essay here and there... just to get another one you know...” He glanced at Chunji’s empty bed.

 

The look did not escape C.A.P..

 

“What a lovely roommate you are,” he said, throwing an arm around Niel and half-hugging him. “I’m touched. Did you lose a bet?”

 

Niel reddened a little as he replied, “No... Chunji... he’s...”

 

“Chunji?”

 

Niel looked at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter