Dragon vs. Dinosaur: Part One

They Walk Among Us Collection

(a/n: Set somewhat after Taming the Dragon when Kris is a bit more healed and Yixing is no longer a romantic interest for Luna, we have our dragon and Jonghyun butting heads for Luna's attention.  The title may change but for now, it is what it is.  hehe)

 

                “Oh really, Yesung,” Luna huffed at lunch as she sat across the table from him with her tray in front of her, pointing her fork at him in annoyance.  “I don’t know why it bothers you so much that I braid Yixing’s mane and tail.  He doesn’t complain about,” she reminded him pointedly, taking another bite of food.

                “But he’s a guy!” Yesung grumbled again.  “And he won’t complain about it because it’s you doing the braiding,” he scoffed, crossing his arms over his chest.

                “Is it really that big a deal?” Henry asked sitting between them.  In an unusual turn of events, they were the only three of their core group present for lunch and as yet, had the table to themselves.  “I mean, it changes back once he goes back to human form as if nothing happened.”

                “It’s the principle of the matter,” Yesung told him determinedly, pointing at the unicorn when he spied him coming in.  “Isn’t it, Yixing?” he asked, nodding his head animatedly to see if he could get a preemptive agreement.

                “Isn’t what?” the unicorn asked with a perplexed turn of his head.

                “Ugh.  You were supposed to just agree with me,” he groaned.

                “Leave Yixing alone,” Luna chided him with a frown.

                “I’m still confused,” Yixing scratched his head and took a seat next to Luna and Henry looking between the two for an explanation.

                “Yesung thinks you should be offended that Luna braids your hair when in your natural form,” Henry smiled, patting the unicorn on the back.

                “Ah.  I do not mind though,” he looked at Yesung with a furrowed brow, obviously confused about why the other male would think such a thing.

                “You’re hopeless…” he rolled his eyes, focusing on his food again.

                “And I think you’re just jealous because Kris doesn’t let you scratch his wing ridges,” she nodded with a victorious grin.

                “Am not!” Yesung retorted immediately, sitting upright with a perturbed expression.

                Yixing turned his head to the side and offered politely, “If it makes you feel any better, you are welcome to braid my hair as well.”

                Yesung’s face turned deadpan and he just blinked at the unicorn while the other two struggled not to bust into helpless laughter.  “That’s it.  I’m done,” he scowled, smacking his hands lightly on the table before standing up and actually departing from the table.

                Unable to keep themselves from laughing, Henry and Luna nearly doubled over at the table while Yixing continued to remain oblivious to their source of amusement.  “What’s so funny?” a new voice asked, joining them at the table with reinforcements.

                Immediately, Luna stopped laughing and paid very close attention to her food while Henry looked at her with amusement dancing in his eyes.  “Hey Jong,” he waved, extending the greeting to the rest of the team, sans Captain at any rate.  “Luna finally got the better of Yesung,” he winked to the shorter male who took a spot almost directly next to her.

                “Good job, Luna,” he grinned, patting her on the back in a friendly congratulatory manner, focusing on the rest of the group as they settled in to share in his mirth and completely missing the flush that crossed her face.

                Yixing didn’t though and actually placed a hand on her forehead with a concerned frown.  “Are you unwell?” he asked quietly, leaning close to peer at her face.

                “What?  No!” she assured him, grabbing his hand and forcing a nervous laugh.  As soon as Jonghyun looked back her way to see what had set her off, she released Yixing’s hand swiftly, giving him a nervous wave and grin.

                “You look happy today,” he smiled back, familiar dinosaur smile making its expected appearance.

                “Why wouldn’t I be?” she smiled, the expression relaxing into something a bit more genuine as she got used to his attention and presence.  Ever since that time they played basketball together, she’d had a tendency to get flustered around him and it wasn’t so bad when he was away on mission stuff, but when he was back, she found him sitting nearby more often than not.

                 He shrugged and turned his focus to Henry who was asking him something else, giving her a better profile view of his face: his distinct jawline, the way his bottom lip stuck out slightly further than his top lip and even his slightly pointy nose…  She blinked frantically when she realized she was staring, noticing that both Joon and Amber had spotted her at which point her face heated up again and she resumed her undivided attention on her mostly empty plate once more.

                “I still think we’ve got a bit of a break right now,” Siwon stated with animated hand gestures.  “Atamos hasn’t made any moves in a while and we’ve got most of the MCs with us.  They’re still hurting from that last blow remember?” he reminded them confidently.

                “Right.  The one where we got the dragon back?” Joon asked, looking at the taller male expectantly with a winning smile.

                “Yes Joon,” Siwon chuckled.  “The fight where you laid down some impressive cover fire while Jonghyun got the dragon to safety.”

                “Exactly!” he whooped excitedly, bouncing in place.

                “Hey!” Amber nudged him with her arm.  “We helped with that cover fire, thank you very much,” she reminded him.

                “I could have done just as well,” Jonghyun leaned closer to Luna and told her confidently.  “But somebody had to fly him to safety and all,” he shrugged as if there had been no better choice.  Both Siwon and Joon started to clear their throats as he looked ready to wind up, purposefully glancing over his shoulder, but he didn’t seem to notice their warning.  “Yep.  If not for me and my skills, I’m not sure how he would have gotten out of there otherwise,” he grinned at Luna expectantly, smile fading when a deep voice rumbled from behind them.

                “Was this before or after I torched the base and got myself to the surface for retrieval?” Kris asked seriously, inserting himself between Luna and Yixing so that the unicorn was forced to slide over closer to Henry to make room.  Luna was more than short enough for him to look over her head and down at Jonghyun beside her, gaze intent.

                “Ahem…  That would be… um… after actually,” Jonghyun admitted with a grumpy air, looking at the dragon out of the corner of his eyes.

                Literally sandwiched between the two with both pressing lightly against her, Luna sat with her hands anchored in her lap, glancing between the pair as she felt the tension rise over her head.  Slowly, she leaned forward to look around Kris’s considerably taller frame and mouthed at Henry, ‘Help me.’

                He shrugged at her with a confused expression and then rolled his eyes.  “Oh, look at the time,” he exclaimed, standing up with a glance at his watch.  “I forgot I had to help Yesung with that thing,” he pointed uselessly at the doorway.

                “What thing?” Yixing asked earnestly, looking up.

                “The… um… project we were working on to help…” he looked at Luna for assistance on some sort of excuse.

                “To help Eunhyuk speak more English in a normal conversation,” Luna filled in for him, standing up.

                “Oh.  I should probably come too then,” Amber shrugged, clapping Siwon and Joon on the shoulders as she stood up, ready to join them.

                “Sure,” Henry smiled, looking over at Luna meaningfully.

                “Of course!” she clapped, easing herself out from between the pair she was wedged beside, trying not to touch either.

                “Got it?” Jonghyun asked, reaching as if to steady her, a gesture that was mirrored by Kris on her other side.

                “Neh!  I’m fi…ine!” she yelped, arms flailing backward as her heel caught on the bench.

                Immediately, both Kris and Jonghyun lurched to catch her, shouting, “Careful!” and knocking the table up when they leaned back at the same time.  Fortunately, Henry and the other seated occupants counterbalanced it so that no one fell out of their seat and Luna’s rescuers were able to pick her up between them and set her feet gently on the floor.

                “Are you alright?” Kris asked before Jonghyun could, reluctant to let go of her hand.

                “Yeah, you’re not hurt, right?” Jonghyun added to save some sort of face.

                “I’m fine,” she squeaked, laughing nervously and red as could be.

                “Are you sure you don’t have a fever?” Yixing questioned again, frowning at her in concern.

                “Nope!  I’vegottagofindYesungandapologize!  Bai!” she rushed out in one fast sentence, pulling away and quickly retreating with both Henry and Amber in her wake.

                “For what?” Kris asked after her, perplexed by the response.

                “For scratching your wing ridges,” she called before she stepped out of the doors in a hurry.

                Kris couldn’t help but smile at the comment and roll his shoulder blades in response.  “What?” he asked with a glance at Jonghyun.

                “Now look what you did, dragon,” he grumbled, eyeing the taller male with a sigh.

                “What I did?” he asked incredulously.

                “Um, guys?” Joon started with a finger raised in inquiry.

                “You scared her off!” Jonghyun pointed after the door Luna had left from.

                “If anyone did, it was you and your trumped up stories,” he growled, leaning closer so their faces were only a few inches apart.

                “Guys…” Joon tried again, looking between the two in concern.

                “You’re the giant towering over her!” Jonghyun retorted.

                “And you’re annoying puppy suffocating her,” Kris growled, making the shorter male jerk back slightly, unable to help himself.

                “Guys!”

                “What?!” they turned to Joon and snarled at the same time.

                Joon blinked with big eyes, finger still raised in the air, temporarily frozen in place.  The finger finally moved and pointed at the doorway while he blinked again.  “Why don’t you just go after her?” he suggested, mouth quirked to the side and eyes darting to the doorway.

                “Fine!” Jonghyun nodded, scrambling out from under the table.

                “I’m going,” Kris stated, standing up in one fluid motion.  On their feet, the pair looked at each other, the dragon looking down and the soldier looking up, facial expression determined.  With a final snort, the pair headed towards the door, Kris’s longer legs easily outdistancing Jonghyun unless he jogged which he was reluctant to do.

                Siwon clapped the still mute Joon on the shoulder with a hearty laugh.  “You are a braver man than I, Joonie,” he grinned, squeezing his shoulder as he stood up.

                “Wait.  Where are you going?” he asked, turning on the stool to look up at his teammate.

                “I’m gonna go check on Key.  He hasn’t been too happy since Kris has actually turned sociable.  Ish,” he amended with a thoughtful nod.

                Frowning, Joon watched him go and then turned back around to the single remaining occupant at the table: Yixing.  “And what are you going to do?” he asked with a loose hand gesture.

                “I’m still hungry,” Yixing explained simply, picking himself up to head for the serving counter.

                Joon drummed his fingers on the now empty table for a moment, working his mouth from side to side as he looked after the unicorn.  “Hey Xing!  Wait for me,” he called, hopping up and jogging after him.

 

                “Ack!” Luna sighed, falling sideways onto her bed, shadowed by Henry who sat on the edge of his with more grace.  “What am I going to do?!” she wailed, covering her face with her pillow and hugging it to her tightly.

                Henry sighed and scratched his head, awkwardly shifting to her bed as he shifted her feet over to make room for him, rather wishing that Amber would have followed along instead of actually going to visit Eunhyuk after he explained what their real intention had been.  “I can’t help you with that one,” he admitted, patting her knee comfortingly.

                “You mean you can’t just tell me which one to choose and leave it at that?” she mumbled, her voice muffled by the pillow.

                “Even if I did tell you, it’s not like you’d listen to me,” he reminded her.  “Not in this instance,” he added when she pulled the pillow down to argue.

                She pouted at him over the edge with her chin resting on the top and then rested her head on the flat surface of the bed.  “It was easy with Yixing,” she muttered.  “Well… after the whole misunderstanding part anyway,” she amended with a frown.  That hadn’t exactly been pleasant but on the other side of that, they were both considerably more comfortable around each other now.

                “I would much prefer we don’t have you going through that again,” Henry admitted seriously, leaning forward with a serious expression on his face.

                “You and me both,” she nodded, hugging the pillow tighter.  “But what if we don’t find a way to send them back?”

                “And if we do?” he prompted on the other side of that, making sure she considered that option as well.

                “But it’s so hard…” she murmured pitifully, hiding back in the top of the pillow.

                “I know,” Henry chuckled with a shake of his head.

                The door opened and both glanced over to see Yesung shuffle through.  “Weren't you guys just in the dining hall?” he asked, pointing between the two

                “Yep,” Henry shrugged while Luna nodded in mute agreement.

                Yesung frowned at the unexpected and sudden change of location.  “So what happened?”

                “Kris and Jonghyun,” Henry answered for her, chuckling when she just nodded in silent agreement once more, mouth still hidden behind the pillow.

                “Ah…” Yesung murmured, glancing at the doorway.

                “What?” the other male asked with a curious head tilt.  He jumped in surprise when the doors opened again, this time admitting the towering Kris and the considerably shorter Jonghyun right on his heels.

                “Eh!” Yesung cringed, moving out of their way when they threatened to run him over.

                “Luna!  Can we talk?!” they asked loudly at the same time, shoving each other for prominence and completely missing her reaction initially in their competition.

                “Yah!” she yelped, letting go of the pillow hastily and rolling off the other side of the bed with a startled cry.

                “Luna?” they asked, focusing on the bed where Henry was still seated, looking back the way she’d disappeared.

                Yesung took one look at what had happened and promptly shoved both Kris and Jonghyun back out the doors the way they’d come in.  “Hey!” the pair cried in surprised outrage, caught completely off guard the by the unexpected resistance.

                Yesung kept going until the door closed behind him and then he pointed at them with one finger, a stern glower on his face.  “I don’t know exactly what’s going on between you two but you’re scaring Luna.  That is my job,” he pointed his thumb at himself intently, looking them both in the eye.  “So whatever this is,” he gestured with both hands in front of them.  “Figure it out,” he told them sternly with both hands open wide on either side of him, held at shoulder level.  “Then!” he pointed with his right index finger again, shaking it at both their noses.  “You can come back when you stop freaking her out.  Got it?” he asked, giving his finger one more shake for good measure.

                Dumbfounded, Jonghyun and Kris looked at each other in confusion and then back at Yesung.  At the same time, they gave him a slow nod.

                “Good,” Yesung nodded his head once, brushing his hands together in satisfaction before he marched back into the civilian living quarters.

                “Um…” Jonghyun murmured, shifting in place uncertainly.

                “So…” Kris murmured, glancing at his shorter companion.

                Stiffly, they turned to face each other and both extended their right hands out.  With some hesitation, they clasped wrists firmly, gripping hard in the first of their contests, though Jonghyun had to bow out to the superior strength of the dragon, muttering under his breath and shaking his wrist slowly as they parted ways, heading down opposite ends of the hallway.

 

(a/n: This is probably going to be another two or three shot.  Not sure yet as this is the first posting and I haven't started on the next just yet, but I'll let you know!  Thanks for reading!  ^_^)