Lost and Found: Part One

They Walk Among Us Collection

(a/n: This one isn't an official update but more of a localization of the original oneshot that sort of started the rest of them.  I didn't want to just delete the original so I'm leaving it where it is but adding this one here to keep everything together.  Here is part one to the Luna and Lay pairing already present.)

 

                With a gusty sigh, Luna paused to lean against the trunk of the nearest tree and scratched her head in puzzlement, glancing around at the forest which looked the same in every direction.  Why she had ever thought to listen to Yesung was beyond her.  Everyone knew he loved to mess with her whenever possible and leading her astray with the promise of seeing a unicorn that he’d sworn up and down existed in the forest was just another laugh at her expense.  She was sure of it…

                And now she was hopelessly lost somewhere in the massive stretch of woods behind Henry’s house.  She wondered if perhaps this was how Victoria had felt when she’d been thrown haphazardly into their world; dumped unceremoniously into whatever forestry had been nearby.  Granted, that would probably have been considerably more jarring all things considered.  The sylph had been lost in an unfamiliar world while Luna was simply…misguided in her wanderings.  “Oh…” she grumbled.  “Yesung!” she called, using one hand to cup in the hopes it would help project her voice.

                If she was lucky, perhaps he had followed her out here just because he could and just maybe, he’d be able to get them back.  The general sounds of the forest were her only response, punctuated by the breeze rustling through the leaves and the normal hum of any number of insects she could hear but that remained easily out of sight.  That was helpful.  Behind her, a twig snapped, loud in the relative silence, and she whirled around with a gasp, dirty blonde hair flying over her shoulder to brush against the upper part of her back.

                “Hello?” she called aloud, flushing when her voice trembled.  Her eyes scanned the woods but she didn’t see anything at all…  “It was probably just nothing,” she told herself simply, removing her hand from the trunk of the tree and dusting it off.  “Nothing at all.”

                Telling herself that most certainly didn’t stop her mind from creating all sorts of things that it could be though.  Maybe it was a magical creature but one of the mean or nasty ones…  Like a hydra or a lizard man or even a gorgon…  Involuntarily, Luna shuddered.  Likely or not, they still weren’t fun to think about, especially since it was possible they did exist after all.  Then again, even if it wasn’t a MC, it could still be something like a wolf or a bear.  It wasn’t as if she could do much of anything against any of those things except run.  Had Henry ever mentioned there being wild creatures in the woods behind his house?

               When she heard another twig snap behind her again, she screamed and bolted, picking a direction at random that was anywhere but there.  “Henry!  Yesung!” she cried shrilly, pushing off trees as she almost ran into them and lifting her feet high over brambles and vines that seemed to reach for her, brushing against her legs and catching in the laces of her shoes.  She couldn’t hear anything over the sound of her own heartbeat thundering in her ears and she dared not look back to see if anything was following her.  “Henry-!” she shrieked, falling forward roughly when she felt her ankle twist on an upturned root and tumbled to the ground.

                Immediately, she tried to scramble back to her feet but her ankle complained bitterly and she crumpled back down, flailing about to see what was chasing her.  Luna blinked light brown eyes and felt a rush of relief and embarrassment rush over her.  Nothing…in any direction, but trees, trees and more trees.  Awkwardly, she shifted around to regard the sprained limb.  “Oww…”  She clutched her knee to her chest and looked around worriedly, tears sparkling on her lashes.  “I never should have listened to him,” she huffed, prodding at the already swelling flesh gingerly.  Not only was she lost, but now she was stranded, sort of.  She could probably hobble back but that was a long way and calling someone wasn’t going to help any because they wouldn’t know where she was either. 

                A flicker of white moving in her peripheral vision startled her and she pivoted to follow it, seeing it dance at the edge of her sight tantalizingly.  “Who’s there?” she asked quietly, scooting closer to the tree that had been her downfall and peeking around the trunk nervously.  The sound of a quiet whicker beside her reached her ears and she looked over her shoulder, glancing away and then turning to press her back against the trunk in surprise while she stared.

                Not more than five feet in front of her was a very real unicorn, looking very much as if he’d been standing there the entire time with a slightly vacant expression on his face.  He was tall too, at least from her vantage on the ground and the dark gold alicorn pointed at the tree above her, jutting from his head and nearly a meter in length.  Impossibly blue eyes peered at her under a silken gathering of white strands that cascaded down his elongated face and over his right eye.  Still staring at her, he blinked slowly and whickered again in inquiry.

                Stunned into silence, Luna continued to blink quickly until she finally reached her hand out towards him, fingers slightly curled and palm open.  “You are here,” she breathed softly, eyes filled with wonder while she waited, practically frozen in place.  It seemed impossible that he was here at all, much less standing directly in front of her.  Victoria had said she’d seen him, or at least a unicorn, but she’d never expected to see him out here; especially not in his natural form.  He was breathtaking…

                The unicorn seemed to regard her with some concern and then took a careful step closer, pressing his soft nose against her hand.  He snuffled into her palm, the warm breath caressing her skin, and then made a sound that was a strange mix between a quiet neigh and the tinkling of bells, sounding almost as if it was supposed to be a question.  Slowly, he dipped his head so that her hand ran along his forehead and lowered his muzzle to lip at the injured limb tentatively, almost apologetic.

                Embarrassed, Luna flushed and removed her hand from his face, pushing it away lightly, “It’s alright.  I tripped…” she explained awkwardly, mortified that she had fallen running from a unicorn, never mind what she thought it could have been.  She’d never hear the end of it from Yesung.  “I’ll be okay,” she assured him, biting her lip nervously when he didn’t move away.

                The unicorn turned his head slightly to the side and just eyed her with that semi-blank expression again, pawing the ground loosely and clearly not believing her.  Purposefully, he stepped back and lowered his horn around and down, lightly bringing the spire to rest against her injured limb while Luna stared, mouth hanging open limply.  The expression on his equine face turned warm while he regarded her evenly, maintaining eye contact under the lock of his mane that fell into the side of his face.

                “I don’t…wait…,” she tried to mumble an objection, not feeling the least bit worthy of being healed, but she promptly fell silent as the tingling warmth blossomed in her ankle and spread through the whole of her in short order.  A silly smile crossed her face when the sensation reminded her of being kissed, and she sighed contentedly, resting her arms on top of her knee and just watching him dreamily.  She couldn’t help but giggle.

                Satisfied, he stepped back and laughed, another blend between the horse he resembled and musical bells that chimed beautifully.  Standing upright again, he pawed at the ground with his front foot and tossed his head up lightly, mindful of keeping his horn well above her.  When she just looked at him with her head tilted to the side, trying to puzzle out what he wanted, he snorted in impatience and stepped closer to nibble at her hands.

                It took a moment, but Luna figured out what he wanted and carefully used the side of the tree to push herself up, testing her weight on the formerly injured ankle with joy.  She beamed at him and then brought her hands, balled into fists, under her chin and wriggled in place with a delighted giggle.  “You’re even more beautiful than I imagined,” she murmured, just letting her eyes roam over him.  She got the distinct impression he didn’t really mind, even if he seemed to look at her with an entirely different stare.

                His attention became focused again though when she was standing and with short steps, the unicorn sidled closer, easily within touching distance again.  He snorted softly and nodded to his back with his head, tossing his mane loosely at the motion.

                Luna shook her head immediately and stepped back.  People weren’t supposed to ride unicorns…  “I don’t know where to go anyway and you’re just too tall,” she hedged, eyeing his height warily.  He really was too tall for her to get on as he was since she couldn’t even see over his shoulder.  She wasn’t half bad at jumping but there was no way she would be able to make that leap without assistance.

                The unicorn’s eyes seemed to smile at her and he nodded in understanding, sighing once in a body shaking exhalation that made Luna smile.  Somewhat awkwardly, he knelt on the ground and then lay down with his legs folded under him while he looked over his back at her, obviously waiting for her to get on.  The silken tail flicked once while he waited, another impatient snort startling her and snapping her out of her daze.

                “Umm…  Alright,” she murmured, stepping close and brushing her palms against the feather soft hair of his hide.  As lightly as she could, she settled on his back, strangely concerned she would hurt him or that she was doing something she shouldn’t be.  It was an awkward position for both of them since she couldn’t sit like she was supposed to and it was obvious it wasn’t his preferred lounging pose, but she clung to his mane and held tight when he rose to his feet fluidly.  “Yah!” she squeaked, closing her eyes until they came to a stop with him shifting slowly from foot to foot.  “Oh,” she laughed in embarrassment, peeking through her lids to see him looking over his shoulder at her with the side that was free of his bangs.  “Sorry,” she ducked her head and dropped her gaze to the silvery white mane in front of her.

                The unicorn laughed and shook lightly, helping to settle her further even as she held tighter during his unexpected action.  Content that she wasn’t going to just fall off, he started walking, the smooth easy gait not in the least bit problematic for his rider.  His head bobbed in time with each step, the horn glinting periodically in the sun when a ray speared them through the foliage while he ambled along peaceably.

                “Do you know where you’re going?” Luna asked quietly after a few moments of riding in silence, taking in the scenery and just enjoying the feel of the equine body shifting beneath her at each step, muscles flexing beneath his skin effortlessly.  She’d always imagined unicorns as dainty creatures, but this one did not fit that image and she was pleasantly surprised.

                His ears swiveled back to catch her words and he bobbed his head in agreement, whickering at her again in that musical tongue.

                “How?” she asked, sighing when he didn’t offer any sort of response.  “You know, it might help if I could actually understand you,” she shook her head, playing with the lowest part of his mane between her fingers.  “I know you can turn into a human,” she whispered, leaning over his neck and lowering her voice as if she was sharing a secret.

                He snorted under her but allowed his head to bob in agreement once.  Luna sat back up and resigned herself to relax and enjoy the ride.  She’d been horseback riding before and this felt similar but entirely different because there was an energy to him that sort of hummed at her touch; something not quite normal but altogether exciting.  It also helped to take her mind off the fact that she still didn’t think she should be riding him in the first place.  It wasn’t like she’d asked him to show up and heal her ankle and take her for a ride and…  Where were they going anyway?  “Are you taking me home?” she asked, leaning forward to pat the arching neck, feeling the firm but smooth flesh beneath her hand.

                He responded much like he had the first time and looked back at her with one of his blue eyes.  For a moment, it looked as if he smiled at her, though how a horse…er, unicorn could smile, was beyond her.  Then again, he was an MC after all so the normal strictures wouldn’t really apply.  With that thought, she gave up on trying to puzzle out why he would know where her home was in the first place.

                Luna wasn’t even sure how long they walked, easily losing track of time.  It had already been getting later in the day when she’d admitted she was lost and since she’d been recently found, she hadn’t exactly bothered to check her watch or phone for that matter.  Having one of her ultimate fantasies just appear in front of her was kind of distracting after all.  Eventually, though she finally saw what had to be Henry’s house rising up in the distance.  Seeing it, she wondered how she’d failed to notice it in the first place and then started to get fidgety when they got closer though.  She didn’t want it to end…

                The unicorn paused at the edge of the woods, regally walking through the last of the underbrush with care.  He looked back over his shoulder when they made the clearing of Henry’s back yard and bobbed his head, sidling around to align her with the house.  With as much care and control as he could muster, he knelt carefully with his front legs so the distance wouldn’t be quite so high, watching her under his bangs again.

                “Oh!  Th-thank you,” she smiled brightly, throwing her legs over and sliding off the rest of the way, keeping one hand resting on his shoulder while he stood up and shook himself one good time, mane and tail flying everywhere before settling smoothly back in place.

                Taking care not to spook her, the unicorn turned to face her directly and nudged her insistently in the stomach, tickling her to his amusement.  He lipped at her hands when she tried to intervene and laughed with her.

                Luna reached out to catch his face in her hands, petting the cheeks lightly and giving him one of her brightest smiles.  “Thank you,” she breathed again, leaning forward just a little bit to place her lips against his soft nose.  In an instant, she was startled when he suddenly glowed white all through his skin and she had to close her eyes against the bright light, hands coming up to shield her face.  She felt the kiss change perceptibly when something grabbed her raised hand and as she opened her eyes, she saw she wasn’t kissing his nose anymore…

                A soft and tender hand came up to cup the left side of her face, his left hand clasping her right one between them, while the unicorn, in human form, kissed her back, a tentative and sweet meeting of their lips.  With a very warm smile, he stood up, still holding her face in his hand while she stared at him with a dreamy expression.  “You’re welcome,” he nodded his head at her, no sign of the horn that had been protruding out of it a moment ago.

                “Oh my,” she sighed, scanning his person quickly and eternally grateful he’d shifted with clothes on.  He was taller than her with a shock of black hair resting loosely on his head in easy waves, bangs swooping down to cover most of his left eye.  His smile was sweet and playful at the same time and there was the absolutely adorable dimple that Victoria had mentioned.

                He took pity on her when she seemed unsure what else to say and removed his hand from her face to sweep her hair back over her shoulder.  “I’m Zhang Yixing,” he told her simply, waiting for her response, expression unusually attentive.

                She blinked up at him as the words registered slowly.  “L-luna!” she chirped, flushing brightly.  She’d kissed a unicorn!  Or rather, he’d kissed her, but their lips had touched and it was so warm and amazing…  Hesitantly, she reached a hand up to brush her fingers across his cheek, smiling again when he didn’t disappear, his lips quirking up at her shy action.  She hopped in place and giggled again, hardly able to contain her elation while he continued to hold her hand.  Getting a hold of herself, she pointed her free hand at him, index finger extended, “Wait.  Why didn’t you change before?”

                Yixing ducked his head in chagrin and smiled at her apologetically, the dimple appearing in an instant.  “I figured since I was the one to spook you, then I should get you home safely.  It is easier in my normal form.”

                “So it was you,” she smiled and laughed, shaking her head with a glance down at her ankle.  “Good as new though,” she nodded, combing her straight hair nervously with her fingers while he bowed slightly before her.

                “So, Luna,” Yixing smiled at her, making her heart flip flop.  “What were you doing by yourself in the forest?”

                She stopped for a second and pursed her lips, looking up at him in mute embarrassment.  “I was umm….looking for you, actually,” she admitted with a nervous giggle.  “Well, not you specifically,” she babbled, alarmed that he would think she had meant him specifically.  “Yesung had said there was a unicorn and I didn’t really believe him but I wanted to go see it because they’re my favorite and-”

                Yixing stopped her with a finger pressed against her lips, thoroughly enjoying her reaction.  “Well then, Luna,” he murmured, threading his fingers through hers hesitantly.  “Why don’t we go and meet your Yesung.  I think I should like to thank him.”

                Luna blinked in blank astonishment as she started to follow along beside Yixing, feeling very much as if she was walking on air.  “Thank him for what?” she finally murmured, holding to his forearm with her free hand.

                “For introducing me to you of course.”  With that, he led her up the stairs while she practically bounced beside him, unable to stop smiling.