Studio Encounter

They Walk Among Us Collection

(a/n: And here's the other oneshot featuring Kai as an MC.  Yay more dancing!  lol  I hope you enjoy)

 

                Luna stifled a yawn as she listened to Henry give her additional details on the special playing card they’d been commissioned to draw up by Mr. Kim down at the Forgotten Hoard.  He’d been curious about their prolonged absence which they’d managed to explain somehow and now he was just glad that they were back and able to chip in as needed.  He was going to be hosting one of the regional tournaments next weekend and intended to offer a special, unique playing card as one of the prizes.  He’d left the creation and design completely in their hands so long as it was finished by this coming Wednesday.

                Because it had to be something different though, they had to create an entirely new monster by mixing and matching certain elements of other creatures and her focus was just not on the process.  She heard Henry ask her something and nodded without even knowing what the question was.

                “Eh… Luna?” Henry asked again, drawing her attention as she shook herself and blinked at him in confusion.  “I asked what color you thought it should be?”

                “Oh!” she gasped, flushing lightly in embarrassment.  “Sorry, Henry.  Just having a hard time focusing today,” she admitted as she sat up and rubbed at her eyes.

                “Maybe if you weren’t spending so much time after work at the studio, it wouldn’t be a problem,” Yesung poked at her, to which she wrinkled her nose at him.

                She groaned and rolled her eyes.  “Between your complaining about work, and my wanting to rant for the same reason, I’m at the studio as often as I am for our sanity,” she reminded him pointedly.

                “But you’re always tired…” he grumbled, shifting the papers around on the table in front of him.

                “Am not!” she retorted quickly, giving him a mild glare before it was ruined when another yawn ambushed her, ruining the effect.  “Okay, okay,” she admitted reluctantly when both of them just looked at her.  “But I’ll catch my second wind in a bit.  I guarantee it,” she winked, hunkering down to focus again on their task.

                Henry just shook his head and chuckled.  “I can’t dispute that now can I?”  His gaze leveled on Yesung for a moment before he asked, “How do you keep yourself from going crazy with some of those customers you get?”

                Yesung snorted derisively and looked at Luna with a raised brow.  “He thinks I’m not crazy.”

                Luna giggled at the response and even Henry had to laugh with an amused nod.  “Fair enough!” he exclaimed succinctly, one hand raised in the air.  “But seriously guys.  What color should it be?”

                It took them another solid hour to get the rest of the details planned out and they’d work on finalizing it later with Luna taking over the color scheme again, Henry drawing up the stats and Yesung putting it together.  He was banned from doing so by himself since he always managed to glue his fingers together at some point during the process and typically needed their assistance to get unstuck.

                Aside from the weekend endeavors and the special projects they were commissioned for, the former and once again MC Masters had pretty much resumed their regular lives.  Retail and customer service were particularly irritating after what they’d all managed to accomplish together, with very few people being the wiser.  It was funny how averting a major disaster of epic proportions sort of jaded everything else when you had to return to the ‘real world’; which was a large part of the reason that Luna frequented the local dance studio she used to practice at before everything happened.

                Gaining special permission from the owner, Luna was able to rent the use of one of the dance rooms around the already scheduled classes.  She tended to prefer going after work which usually constituted later in the evening after the regular lessons were concluded, which had her home late but pleasantly tired.  At least she knew she slept better than Yesung but he waved off all her attempts to get him to join her.  In fact, he fervently declared he was never going to get fat with his current lifestyle and that he slept just fine as it was.

                Privately, she begged to differ but it wasn’t like she could force him to do anything he didn’t want to and she actually rather liked the privacy of the studio when no one else was around.  Of late, she sort of wished he was nearby if only because she thought she’d been noticing someone possibly hanging out at the studio around the times she was penciled in for.  Most of the time it was nothing more than the flicker of a shadow in the corner of her eyes, but every now and then, she’d get the impression of a person.

                She was just as likely to see such a flicker when she was walking into the studio as she was to notice something while she was dancing.  The studio had two doors leading into it, both of which had windows in them and she’d be lying if she wasn’t slightly creeped out by thinking she saw a figure looking in on more than one occasion.  Unfortunately, whenever she checked to make sure, there was nothing there.  It was… irritating, among other things.  She was using dance as a stress reliever, and in lieu of actually doing any ‘real’ exercising, but it was hard to relax when it felt like you were being watched.

                “Oh!  Luna!” Yukwon called as he noticed her coming into the studio as he was cleaning up.

                “Mr. Kim,” she smiled in return, offering the studio owner a polite bow as always.

                “Aish,” he winced with an embarrassed smile, rubbing the back of his neck.  “Really.  You make me feel ancient when you call me that,” he shook his head.

                Luna giggled and placed her hand over .  “Sorry, Kwonnie,” she amended, earning a much brighter smile in return.  “Work etiquette and all,” she explained with a shrug.  “What’s up?”

                “Nothing much.  Just wanted to let you know I’ve got an early class in the morning so could you just make sure the room’s good before you check out for the night?” he inquired, gesturing towards the dancing studio.

                “Of course,” she assured him with another partial bow, holding her bag of clothes close.

                “Excellent!” he clapped once and gave her an appreciative bow before he stood up and waved.  “Have a good session!” he called out, popping into his office to grab his gear before he headed out.  “I’ll lock the front door on my way out.  You know the alarm code at the back,” he went on confidently as his voice diminished.

                “Okay!” Luna chirped to herself, heading to the back to make sure the rear entrance was locked up before she opted to change out of her travel clothes and into the more comfortable dance gear she preferred.  Tennis shoes were replaced by a pair that had considerably less grip while the rest of her attire was traded out for a comfortable pair of yoga pants and a sleeveless tee shirt.  Redoing her ponytail in the wall of mirrors, she wandered over to the portable sound system and pushed play, content to warm up with whatever he’d left for her disposal.

                With no problems, she made it through the first song, taking her time in limbering up and stretching out with the slower pace of the music.  The second song finished just fine and she got up to change the music out with her own mix, listening to the beat for a few seconds before she launched into her own dance.  It wasn’t choreographed in the least but she just let her body flow along with the music; giving a tight spin here, shimmying there and throwing in whatever else she felt like.

                Just after the third song on her list, she paused to get a sip of water and nearly dropped the bottle with a startled yelp when she happened to look at the door to her right.  The hallway was fairly dim so her vision wasn’t particularly good with actually seeing past the window, but the shadow she’d seen there was unmistakable.  “Hello?” she called out softly, awkwardly setting the bottle back on the ground without taking her eyes off the door.  “Is someone there?”

                Silence was her answer.  The shadow didn’t reappear either, but that certainly didn’t make her feel any better.  Carefully, she edged towards the wall where Yukwon kept several straight wooden rods for use in some of his classes and snatched one, clutching it in both hands as she approached the door with her heart beating madly in her chest.  Staying as far away from the door as she could, she reached her left hand out and pried the portal open, brandishing the stick in the open doorway.

                “Um… hello?” she tried again in a quiet voice.  Easing into the hallway, she held the stick stiffly and looked either direction, completely mystified.  Relaxing marginally, she shook her left hand out and patrolled the rest of the studio, making sure they hadn’t perhaps just wandered off.  “Okay…” she finally murmured when her scan showed nothing out of the ordinary.  “You’re definitely losing it, Luna,” she sighed, shaking her head as she ran one hand over her hair and jogged back to the dance room.

                Setting the stick back against the wall, she pushed the shadow out of her mind and tried to focus on the music once more.  It was a losing battle though and she thought she kept hearing things over the song anyway.  Stifling a frustrated groan, Luna finally gave up on trying to dance and started to clean up with a frown, changing her shoes out and pulling the tie out of her hair.  She practically jumped out of her skin when it sounded very much as if something actually hit the other side of the door.

                “Yah!” she yelped, jumping to her feet with a wide-eyed expression.  Again… nothing.  “Maybe it’s haunted…” she mused unhappily, trying to find some explanation for what she thought she was seeing and hearing.  “That or I really am going crazy.  Ugh!” she smacked her face with her palm and trudged around the room, cleaning up the rest of her mess and making sure things were nice and orderly before she headed out.

                Even though she had almost managed to convince herself that there wasn’t anything here, she still peeked around every corner and crept down the halls on the balls of her feet, trying to be quiet enough to sneak up on someone if they were in the area.  Her scouting foray revealed nothing else again and she sighed, giving up for the time being.

                When she tried to tell Yesung about it the next day, he said she was just imagining things before he proceeded to explain to her why his latest elderly customer was absolutely crazy.  She sighed once and listened to him politely for a little while, as expected, nodding where appropriate and making noncommittal sounds as necessary.

                “Can you believe that?  He wanted to tell me that the dried up piece of driftwood he wanted to call a work of art was an antique!” he flailed, throwing himself down on the couch dramatically.

                “Well maybe to him it was,” she shrugged, tilting her head to the side when he just pointed at her in an accusatory manner with a scrunched up face.  “At least you didn’t have to deal with mommy’s little princess,” she shook her head with wide eyes.  “The lungs on that kid…”

                “Nope.  The old are still way worse,” he complained, sitting up with his arms crossed over his chest.

                “You’re hopeless,” she mumbled, retreating to her room to kill some time before the studio would be open.  Leaving Yesung to his ramblings she got her stuff ready and then headed over relatively early anyway to get a word in with Yukwon.

                “Haunted?” he asked after the class was finished, wiping sweat off his brow with the back of his hand.  “Not that I’m aware of,” he admitted with a mystified expression.

                Luna threw her hands up in mute defeat.  “I guess that solves it then,” she groaned with her shoulders slumped forward.

                “Solves what?” he asked with his head tilted to the side.

                “I’m officially going crazy,” she nodded sadly and then stood up with a slightly forced smile.

                “Well, you have been working really hard lately,” he reminded her.  “Perhaps you might take a break and see if that helps any?”

                “Not you too,” she groaned, hearing an echo of Yesung in the dance instructor.

                Yukwon held his hands up in immediate surrender.  “Then again, you would know best,” he laughed, giving her an easy smile before he patted her on the shoulder in a comforting gesture.  “I can stick around to keep an eye on things for a bit tonight if you’d prefer,” he offered politely.

                “Oh!  I couldn’t ask you to do that, Kwonnie,” she waved her hand dismissively.  His days were typically harder than hers with the number of classes he sometimes hosted; including private lessons.  “I’m sure it’s nothing and besides.  If anything does happen, I can just give you a call, right?” she grinned, retrieving her phone quickly.

                “You’re sure?” he asked to be on the safe side.

                “Yep!” she laughed, giving his shoulder a gentle shove to get him moving.  “Now go home.  I’ll lock up before I head out,” she promised sincerely.

                “Aish,” he chuckled with a reluctant nod, letting a measure of his weariness slip through.

                Luna watched him head out and then nodded to herself determinedly.  Haunted or not, she wasn’t going to let some stupid ghost get the best of her.  She did a quick patrol of the area and then settled in for her practice session.  Her warm up went along smoothly with no hiccups and no shadows.  By the time she got ready to start on her actual routine, she figured she might well have been imagining things after all.  Her first short mix included several slower songs that she could really stretch herself out with and she was feeling good when she paused to take a small break and switch things up.

                With her back to the one door, she changed out her music set to something a bit faster.  “Alright.  Here we go,” she smiled, pressing the play button and standing up to get ready.  As soon as she glanced in the mirror though, her smile faded and she froze.  In the reflection, instead of a shadow standing outside the door, there was actually a man standing in front of the door, just watching her.  She hadn’t even heard him come in…  “Yah!” she shrieked, bolting for the back where the wooden sticks were again before she snatched one up and held it back as if she was going to hit him with it.

                “Whoa!” he yelled, holding both hands out with a slightly amused expression on his face.  “Hold on just a second,” he urged, for all appearances not particularly threatened by her.

                While the music continued to play in the background, something jaunty and fast paced, Luna stared at the intruder.  Taller than her by at least a head, he was lean, dressed in what she would consider dance attire, and carried himself with an easy sort of confidence that translated to his full lips which were still pulled up into a partial smirk.  Wavy dark brown hair crowned his head and his equally brown eyes danced with merriment.  “What are you doing here?” she demanded.  “How did you get in?” she added quickly when she knew that everything had been locked.

                “Eh…” he laughed embarrassedly.

                Luna’s eyes widened as she gasped, “You’re the shadow, aren’t you?”

                “What?” he responded, briefly confused before it seemed to click in his head and then he opened his mouth in silent understanding.

                “I knew I wasn’t crazy!” she stated fiercely, making him laugh.

                “Not hardly,” he winked, standing up as he dropped his hands.

                “Then that means… you’ve been spying on me!” she accused angrily, pointing her left index finger at him with the stick still in her right hand.

                “Spying is such a sneaky word,” he answered coyly with a subtle shrug.

                “Ugh!” Luna scowled, running at him with the stick in both hands.  She wasn’t normally violent by nature but after seeing this… person dancing on the edge of her vision for days only to have him appear in the same studio as her pretending as if nothing was wrong, she’d had enough.  “Get out!  Get out!  Get out!” she yelled, actually attacking him.

                He appeared entertained more than anything and stepped to meet her, catching the end of the stick in his left hand before he held on and pushed it back towards her, making her take a step back, still clinging to her weapon.  “But I just got here,” he teased, grabbing the bottom portion of the stick and using it to steer Luna backwards in time with the beat of the music.

                Too caught up in her own confused anger, she didn’t even notice at first as she tried to pry the weapon free, only to find herself reluctantly being pushed around the floor at his direction.  Giving up on the weapon he refused to relinquish, she pushed them both apart and sprinted for her bag where her phone was, casting nervous glances over her shoulder.  He was still there, holding the staff when she focused to actually call the police.

                Before she could hit dial though, the stranger appeared beside her as he plucked the phone from her hands.  “Please don’t do that,” he requested softly, squatting next to her.

                “Yah!” Luna screamed, falling over as she tried to scramble away from him, completely thrown off by his sudden shift.  “What the-?” she started to say before she got a good look at him when he stood up, holding his hands to either side of him in as nonthreatening a gesture as he could manage.  “You… you’re one of them!” she gasped, staring at the altered figure before her as she nervously got to her feet.

                He was just as tall as a moment ago with the exact same clothes, but his complexion had become even more pale with shoulder length silver hair and equally silver eyes.  His ears poked through slightly and she would have said he was an elf at first glance, but that felt slightly off with the aura that surrounded him.  He flashed a charming smile with a set of pearly whites and then suddenly vanished from in front of her.  She yelped when he whispered in her ear, “Yep.”

                “Ah!” she shrieked, jumping nearly a foot into the air as she reactively turned towards him and rammed her toe into his nearest shin.

                “Ack!” he groaned, smile fading as he hopped in place on one foot and clung to the injured shin while Luna stepped back, caught between righteous indignation and actually feeling sorry for him.  “Yowch…  You didn’t have to kick me,” he whined, carefully testing his weight again, giving Luna a glance from under partially hooded eyes while she retrieved a new stick to hold between them.

                “Well… you shouldn’t have… startled me.  Vanishing and… reappearing… and…” she trailed off uncertainly, hands shifting on her weapon while she tried to figure out what exactly he was.

                He held his hands up in chagrined surrender and nodded.  “I probably should have known better,” he chided himself with a knowing look at her.  “After all, you’re not unknown among our kind, Luna.  Even if you didn’t manage to find some of us before,” he winked, at which she gasped and lowered her weapon a little further.

                “Eh…  Not for a lack of trying,” she reminded him, one hand releasing off the weapon to point her finger in his direction.

                “Indeed,” he agreed, bowing with a theatrical flourish before her.  “Jongin the Eladrin, at your service.  But most people just call me Kai,” he grinned, standing up, exhibiting his earlier exuberance once again.

                Now Eladrin was something she’d only heard a handful of times and if she wasn’t mistaken, they were distant cousins to elves, though generally more magical in nature.  Based on his natural form, even on a video or in a picture he still wouldn’t have much of an unusual outline which made sense as to why they hadn’t found him and if he had that neat ability to… teleport, then he would be rather tricky to catch.  Of course that also explained how he got around locked doors too…

                “Well then… Kai,” she tested his name experimentally and felt herself smile when his grin widened.  “What are you doing here?”  Her question was hesitant with her brow furrowed but she held his silver eyes and kept her lips pulled up into a warmer expression.

                “Eh,” he shrugged, tossing her phone back to her so that she dropped the stick in an effort to catch it.  “I like to dance and I saw you did too,” he gestured towards her as she fumbled with putting her phone away, retrieving the weapon on the ground after.  “And frankly, I wanted to know what you were like, after hearing so much about you,” he chuckled in amusement.

                “Huh?  From who?” she asked immediately.

                Kai laughed and wagged his finger in front of her.  “Now that is a secret.”

                Luna scowled at his answer and sighed, moving to replace the staff against the wall before she headed for the sound system.  She’d determined he wasn’t here to do her any harm but that didn’t mean she entirely appreciated having someone, even a magical creature, know more about her and not willing to at least meet her halfway.

                She hadn’t quite made it halfway across the floor before she gasped when Kai appeared before her, deftly capturing her hands in a proper leading hold.  “Ready?” he smiled, keeping his frame firm so that he wasn’t crowding her personal space, more than he already was anyway.

                “Wha?” she murmured in confusion before Kai whisked her from their standing point, following the beat of the music.  It wasn’t any sort of style she knew but he was a strong leader when it came to the steps and she wasn’t exactly a fan of falling on her face so her feet followed almost without thought.  Floundering to make sense of what had just happened, Luna glanced down at their feet as she listened to the music, both affronted at being ‘manhandled’ so to speak, and pleasantly delighted by his skill.

                “You don’t need to look at your feet,” he reminded her softly, a smile evident in his tone.

                Luna confirmed as much when she looked back up to tell him off and felt the words die before they ever reached her lips.  As striking as he appeared in his Eladrin form, his human disguise was considerably warmer and up close, she found herself at least partially susceptible to his charming smile and intense gaze.  “No… I don’t,” she agreed in a whisper, feeling a flush creep into her cheeks.  Bespelled by his charm, Luna relaxed a bit more and actually started to feel the steps as he took them, able to read the next part without being led.

                “Now you’ve got it,” he grinned, warming up to the beat as she relaxed, introducing more intricate steps and pulling them closer together with the music singing in their blood.

                It was quite possibly the quickest two minutes of her life as the song ended, snapping her out of the magical hold it had over her and she blinked up at her partner, nearly breathless from the experience.  Still hand in hand with their bodies pressed gently together, they simply regarded each other with searching gazes and listened as the next song came on.  She could feel the hesitation in him; the urge to continue but he was waiting…  For her it seemed.  Feeling shy and invigorated at the same time, she let her smile broaden into the relaxed, easy expression she was used to showing and murmured, “One more song?”

                Kai chuckled in quiet agreement and nodded once, “Gladly.”  This time, he led with more grace and less power, properly inviting her to the next step as opposed to giving her little choice like before.

                And Luna blossomed under the guidance, beaming at each step.  Invited to a promenade, she followed skillfully, walking side by side in time to the beat, shooting Kai a coy smile before a gentle tug on her hand brought her twirling back towards him, coming to rest against his chest with her arm trapped in front of her, held in place by his wrapped behind her.  He captured her other hand and assisted her into a tight spin, unwrapping her limb from around her body before he sent her under his arm while he mirrored her performance gracefully.

                Caught up in the magic of the moment, Luna didn’t even realize when the song was drawing to a close before she felt him spin her out once more, watching him pull a similar maneuver in the corner of her eye, but as soon as he finished, he darted towards her.  Too surprised to react and unsure what to expect considering he wasn’t leading her anymore, she froze and then squeaked when he caught her in his arms, twirling her through the air bridal style as she clung to his neck.  “Kai!” she yelped, startled but ersely pleased by his action.

                Kai just laughed lightly at her cry and came to a slow stop.  “Sorry,” he grinned, setting her down gently and stepping back, still holding to her right hand as he bowed deeply.  “But thank you for the dance, Luna.”

                 She beamed like a little girl and covered with her lightly balled fist.  “Thank you, too, Kai,” she managed without giggling, barely.

                “I can see why they favor you,” he assured her, standing up as he clapped his other hand on top of hers warmly.  At the silent question in her gaze, he winked, “Among others, there’s a certain unicorn who thinks highly of you.”

                Leave it to Yixing…  “I can’t imagine why,” she shook her head and smiled, gesturing in the air with her free hand.

                “I think I can,” Kai admitted, his expression mirroring surprise when he realized he’d said it out loud.  “Umm…”

                Now Luna did giggle, her flush deepening.  She pried herself away from his grip to at least turn the music off before they decided to go another round and then stepped back in front of him, her hands clasped lightly behind her back.  “Despite your highly unconventional introduction,” and he had the grace to look at least slightly abashed, “I enjoyed your company tonight.”

                “Me too,” he smiled, threading his fingers together in front of himself as he shifted awkwardly on his feet.  It was a far cry from the poise and confidence he exhibited when dancing.  “Can we… do this again another time?” he asked softly, making sure to hold her gaze with his, the expression hopeful.

                “I’ll think about it,” she smiled, bringing her hands together in front of her, left hand wrapped over her right fist as she rested them under her chin.  “In the meantime, you should probably head out now.  I’m gonna close up soon,” she told him with more certainty than she’d felt earlier as she unfolded her hands to retrieve her gear.

                “I’ll see you out,” he offered politely, stepping close to assist her with her bag, one hand extended in mute inquiry.

                She smiled at his hand but declined to give him her bag, instead sliding her hand into his grip as she stood up, feeling her stomach do a backflip at the resultant grin on his face.  “That’ll work,” she nodded, pausing to turn the lights off and take one last glimpse of the room.  Satisfied it was good for the next class, she chirped to herself and then let Kai pull her along to the back of the building.

                His appearance had been unexpected and she was certainly going to have to say something to Yixing for not mentioning him before, but… she was glad to have met him.  He was an exceptional dance partner and maybe…  No.  She mutely chided herself on the thought.  One thing at a time.  Luna did take one more look at him as she keyed in the alarm code and locked the back door.  “So.  I guess I’ll see you around then?” she asked, bouncing on the balls of her feet nervously.

                “You can count on it,” Kai nodded, giving her another partial bow as he stood up and waved.

                “I’ll hold you to that,” she waved in response, heading slowly to her car as he walked off, his hands stuffed in his pockets and whistling quietly to himself as he departed.  Dancing partner for sure and maybe… just maybe… something more.  Hah!  Giddy with her newest discovery, she quietly cheered in place and took another exuberant breath.  Wait until the guys heard about this one.

 

(a/n: After a brief struggle in the middle, the rest of it sort of came together nicely.  An Eladrin is pretty much as described by Luna's thoughts.  I've only actually seen them as a playable race in Dungeons and Dragons - yes I'm that sort of tabletop gamer geek too - but they are fairly similar to elves.  Granted, both races would tell you vehemently they're nothing alike but they do have a teleport ability as evidenced by Kai.  It's typically fairly short range but that works perfectly in this setting.  hehe

I don't know if any of you have much dance experience (mine is fairly minimal but I have some so to speak) but sometimes you do hit that point where you're not sure about someone at first and then you start dancing and magic happens.  There really is something to be said about a person who knows how to lead because it's one of the most exhilarating moments to feel, especially when you know how to follow.  Hopefully that sort of came across in the exchange.  Of course, after said moment, some awkwardness can still ensue but a connection has been established! XD  That dance scene was short but exceptionally fun to write.

Thanks for reading and I hope you look forward to more!)