Silent.

EXO drabbles and ficlets

Jongin had tried to tell him.

After so many years, one would think he would grow used to seeing his best friend in tears every so often, would grow used to letting Sehun stay at his place for a few days so he didn’t have to go home to him. The same him that was always the cause of those tears, yet somehow it was also the same him that often caused that beautiful smile. The same smile that Jongin wanted oh-so-badly to be the reason behind, no matter how much he knew that wouldn’t happen, was often thanks to him.

The bright-eyed Chinese boy who seemed innocent at first glance, maybe even cute, was the same him who ruined any hope Sehun ever had of true happiness. Instead, he had filled the young boy’s head with nonsense, convincing him that what they had was special. And Jongin didn’t do anything about it for a long time, because Sehun had looked genuinely happy around Lu Han.

The first time Sehun showed up on his doorstep in the middle of the night in tears, he hadn’t thought that this would be a regular occurrence. Every couple has their fights, right? Jongin did his role as the supportive best friend, offering a shoulder to cry on and a place to stay when it was needed. He wouldn’t complain about how Sehun ate all of the food, or how he used all of the hot water, because if he could see the younger boy happy again, it would mean much more than such simple things.

For so many years, Jongin had watched as it happened. And happened again. And again. And again. Almost the same thing happened every time; Sehun would catch Lu Han cheating on him, they would get in a fight, and Sehun would show up at Jongin’s house. Jongin would let him stay as long as he needed, gladly paying for his food and everything else without asking questions. Usually, Sehun would stay anywhere from three to five days, maybe a week when they would have a particularly bad fight. Jongin never minded being there for his friend, and he never complained.

He kept everything to himself. Throughout the ten years since he and Sehun had become best friends, and throughout the six years since Sehun and Lu Han had been dating, Jongin had kept his feelings to himself. It would be pointless for him to say anything about them now, since Sehun obviously didn’t return them, and never would. He would just be digging his personal hole of self-pity a little bit deeper.

He could handle being only a friend to Oh Sehun. If it meant seeing his friend happy, he would be more than glad to remain a friend for the rest of his life. But Lu Han wasn’t making Sehun happy. Not truly happy, anyway. Jongin may not have known much about relationships or love, but he could see when love was true and when it wasn’t. Lu Han had been walking all over Sehun for years now, being there when he wanted something but immediately turning to whoever else’s legs were open when Sehun wouldn’t give it to him, or simply didn’t have the time. Yet Sehun always stayed. The only time Jongin had ever asked about it, all Sehun had done was shake his head and insist that Lu Han really did love him. He had completely ignored Jongin.

It hurt.

It hurt Jongin to see his best friend in this kind of pain. They had been friends since they were fourteen, and Sehun had been dating Lu Han off and on since they were eighteen. Lu Han hadn’t begun cheating until a year after they had started dating, though. And from the very first time it had happened, Jongin had been biting his tongue in order to keep himself from going on to Sehun about how Lu Han was a selfish , and completely undeserving of him. He had kept his ranting to himself. Inside his head, he was screaming that Sehun deserved better, that Sehun deserved to be loved properly, that Sehun was too perfect to endure such emotional pain so often.

Inside his head, he screamed that Sehun deserved someone who would truly love him, who wouldn’t leave him for someone else, would be there for him when he was sad, and kiss every single tear away.

Someone like Jongin.

If he could, if Sehun would let him, Jongin would want nothing more than to make everything better. He would wipe away every bit of the hurt that Lu Han had caused and he would take care of Sehun to the best of his abilities. Jongin would hold him when he was crying, make him tea when he was stressed, kiss him when he was angry, and show him just how much he is worth.

But Sehun wouldn’t let him.

And so Jongin remained silent.

 


 

Oh gosh this was crap. /hides

Thank you for reading~ This was mostly just written to challenge myself. It was supposed to be a bit longer than this, but I couldn't stand making poor Jongin miserable for any longer. It was also supposed to be LuSeKai, but ended up being HunHan with onesided!SeKai, from Kai's POV. I am evil. ;-; Anyway, here you go. 823 words of AU angst, no dialogue, no plot. Based loosely on the image above.

Please leave a comment if you liked it and tell me why if you don't~