The Past

Life of a Star

"Ommma, please!" you begged your mom as you stared through one of the windows of  the store. You really wanted that pair of pointe shoes even though you didn't even break into the new one you brought just last week yet.

"Didn't Dad buy you a new one last week and wasn't it even specially imported from Paris?" 

"But all the girls in my class have it...can't you buy it for me since it's my birthday today?"

"Didn't we already buy you the new iphone as an early birthday present a month ago?"

"That one didn't count! Can't you just buy it ...today the teacher praised me for my dancing and even suggested me to be the star in the upcoming musical." I whined, knowing that she would eventually give in.

"....Okay fine but this is the last time." My mom sighed

"Yay!" I hurriedly dragged my mom into the store.

Suddeenly, my mom's phone ran.

"Hello, this is Stella Lee. Who are you looking for?"

"This is the ....your husband ...hospital....emergency room...suicide"

A phone clashed on the floor.

"Mom! What's wrong?" you glanced up as you tried on the pointe shoes.

"Nnothing. Mom has to go somewhere....I'll ask Uncle Ahn to pick you up. Here's some money. Go buy the shoes and get some food in the meantime okay?"

"Omma, you promised that we'll out for dinner though."

"I'm sorry, but Mom has some urgent matters to deal with. I'll order take out for you instead"  Mom gve you a kiss on the forehead and hurriedly left the shop.

You remembered your mom stutterng back then, but as a little child, you didn't think muuch about it and happily paid for the shoes. 

After buying your shoes, you went off to the playground where your Uncle Ahn came to pick you up.

During the entire ride home, your uncle didn't speak a single word, but you were to occupied with your new shoes to notice. 

The car stopped in front of your house and you stepped out.

"Bye, Uncle Ahn. See you next time!" With that you entered the housee. 

You spent the rest of the day rehearshing for the upcoming perfromance, but for some reason, you seemed to be unable to stay focused, which wasn't like you at all. You decided to take a break instead. 

You waited for your parents to come home for dinner, but you knew that they''ll be late, Recently, your dad was so occuped with company affairs that you had only seen him one or two times that month. You didn't really think about it as you ate the take out that was delivered to your house and went online for a couple hours before sleeping.

Little did you know that would be the last time you'll have a peaceful sleep without any nightmares. 

President Lee commits suicide after SG company goes bankrupt and his wife dies in a car accident, leaving behind their only 13- year old daughter. 

That line in the morning newspaper is still etched in your mind to this day.

My grandparents were right; it's your fault that your parents died.

Your dad and mom had to deal with problems wth the company, but all you complained about everyday was new clothes, new shoes, being the star of performance; you never even thought about what your parents had to go through. 

If you hadn't insisted on buying the new pointe shoes.

If you had't made your mom buy takeout for you

If you hadn't been born...

"Yahh. Are you listening?"  You snapped back to reality. Blinking back tears, you remember that you are still in class and regained your posture.

"Who do you think you are? You're just a normal, poor girl. What makes you think you can stand up to me, the one and only Kwon Yuri." Her friends behind replied in agreement. 

"What is that girl thinking?"

"Doesn't she know who her father is?"

"Isn't her father the CEO of JJ Entertainment?"

"I heard her mom is famous in the fashion industry too"

"That girl doesn't know her place..." people all around her muttered.

You look up and see Yuri with a smirk on her face. You let a exasperated sigh. 

You pick up your stuff and started your way out off the classroom.

"Lee taeyeon! Where are you going? Class is starting." Ms. Im, your homeroom teacher yells. You ignored her and the whispers of the other students as exited the door. 

Missing another day wouldn't make a difference. You plastered a smile on your face and made your way to the company headquarters.