Skin-Deep // Chapter 2

Skin-Deep

There’s little she sees at first, and through the ordinary hallways she sees a single elevator. With the floor empty, she decides to take her chance and presses the button. The elevator opens and she clasps her purse.

All sense and reason she left as she stepped inside and down it went. When it opens again, this time it’s a very different view.

The walls are dimly lit by shaped bulbs, velvet couches lining up against the walls and encompassing most of the floor, with tables covered in wine bottles and empty glasses. There’s loud chatter as the women all around with the similarly dressed men she saw scouring the streets earlier.

“Good evening,” she’s greeted by a wide grin. By no mistake, all the men here either gifted with good looks or charm. For anyone that held both, it must have been a lethal combination for anyone.

“...How does this work?” She asks.

He held out a box, “you’re host will be drawn from this. They’ll be your assigned host for now on.”

She has a slim chance in being drawn the exact host in mind, and simply picks a slip of folded paper.

He smiles sweetly, “Kris is your host.”

How fitting, it appeared fate wasn’t done with them yet.

There was no or dancing, nothing the men wore showed much skin except for the ed few from their black collared shirts. Maybe that drew them in more, causing more for the imagination.

Victoria witnessed another man light a woman’s cigarette, pour drinks, offer flirtatious conversation. She once assumed the private rooms in the back were for other services, instead to her surprise, she’d hear remnants of karaoke in there instead.

“This is a strange place,” she notes aloud, and no one hears her through their makeshift enclosures they made themselves. As though every conversation, no matter how childish and sometimes immature to her eyes, held some seclusion from the rest of the crowded underground room.

She sits alone in her booth. Though she rejects the hosts who come by to offer her drinks and attempt to enrich her with some jokes and charming smiles, she knows there’s more to their advances. She’s content with observing and sees how the scene plays before her.

“If you’re sick, you should take a few days off.” Kris says to the woman who’s head lies on his back. Victoria shifts her face to give them some bit of privacy, but neither looked bothered with her presence there.

“But I have to work,” she groggily murmurs back.

“No, if you cannot care for yourself, then what happens if you get sick and miss more days?” He scolds.

Victoria’s taken aback, she’d thought he’d be more soft with her. Yet to her surprise, the young woman isn’t insulted by his angered tone and agrees with him. She nods and sits up.

“You’re right,” she says back and stands up. “I have to return to my shift, but I’ll do as you say. I promise you.”

“Good,” Kris says endearingly with a tugging smile that nearly brings the young woman to her knees. Their hands are kept together and Victoria can see she’s reluctant to leave, but does so with a soft wave of the hand. Kris returns his attention to the table and reaches for a glass.

“You’re reprimanding her?” Victoria asks.

Kris flips his bangs that just settle back over his eyes, “They like to think that scolding means we care.”

“Because only if one’s comfortable enough to be told what they’re doing wrong, it means you’re not afraid and do care for them.”

Kris smiles, “Must you been so keen in unraveling our secrets? Aren’t you aware there’s allure to every mystery?”

“I’m not one to take things as face value.” She insists.

Kris appears amuse by her statement. “Would you like a drink?” He asks, but it’s not with the familiar doting look he gives when he indulges the other women.

And while Kris is her assigned host, he does nothing to bewitch her attention whatsoever. He’s not even trying.

“I’m fine.” She answers. “Is there nothing else I can do here besides drink?”

“There’s plenty, but one with your narrow mind might find that difficult to do.”

She narrows her eyes. “I don’t need to be here to hear this.”

“You don’t,” Kris agrees and leans comfortably back against the soft leather of his seat. “There’s a reason you’re here.”

“Is there?” She challenges with a smile. Kris’s fox-like eyes narrow just right and examines her. His eyes don’t wander her body or spare a thought for her looks, but it’s deeper than he studies and it makes her feel oddly vulnerable. This isn’t a first, but she’s never met a man who so openly did so.

And when Kris stands up and rounds about the small table filled with half-empty glasses and opened bottles, he sits right by her, sparing her just the right amount of distance between them. Not so far so as to seem distant, but not too close that it shies her.

“There’s always a reason. Why else would someone of your stature choose to come down here?” He suggests and leans just right with a tilt of his head, a glint held within his dark, consuming eyes.

“It’s more than just curiosity, there’s something you want.” His voice ghosts by her ear. It’s comfortably warm inside there, but there’s a shiver she fights to suppress.

This was just another game to him. And she was willingly becoming a pawn.

-

“She gave false information for her tab.”

Kris doesn’t look up as he takes a brief break with his head tossed back against the seat. “It’ll be taken from your pay then,” Kris reminds and the man ruffles his hair in annoyance.

“Oh, and your regular’s here. You know, the one who’d just die for you.” He stresses. The two hosts share a devilish laugh, their crude humor was something a lot of them developed.

“What good would her death do? That’s just another customer lost.”

Kris preferred her to the other devoted who all uttered the same. He was used to the nearly daily proclamation, but most of them didn’t mean it at all, and just wanted his reaction. As if their heartfelt words would move him. It took so much more than that nowadays.

“Your customer’s here,” someone adds and the disgruntled man across from Kris leaves the small back room to cater for the night and make up for his losses. Kris waits a few minutes until he stands up and takes a deep breath behind the door, adjusting his collar as he eventually follows suit.

“Can I just be left alone?” A woman says spitefully, joining her friend who enjoys their company of the men around her.

Kris exchanges looks with the host by the regular and Kris understands, he sits down by her.

“It’s her birthday, why not let her celebrate as she wants?” Kris asks. The woman refuses to answer and Kris leans in, careful to leave enough space. “When’s your birthday?”

“Does it matter to you?”

“It does,” Kris says sweetly. He reaches for a poured glass and holds it towards her. “Let’s share a glass in honor of your birthday, whenever it may be.”

At the woman’s hesitance, she adds in hushed insecurity. “You won’t even remember me.”

“I remember every face.” Kris adds a confident smile that grabs her attention. “I’m sure if you smile, yours will be unforgettable.”

The woman grows flustered and Kris adds just as he sets the glass in her hand, careful to brush his fingers against her clammy palm and meets her eyes. “You’re welcome here anytime, any day,” and says with an added whisper. “It’ll always be a night worth celebrating.”

And if she were lucky, he’d be assigned as her host. And he knows soon enough she’ll hope to draw his name from the box. Otherwise, he could hold very little interaction with her.

It’s a rule that if a host is interacting with another host’s customer, they can be fined or even fired from the club.

And as Kris welcomes another regular who acts mature and professional, but with a few glasses becomes comfortable against the seat and confides every bit to him.

“You shouldn’t buy a second bottle, think of the money you’ve worked so hard for. If you’re sick, you must rest.” Kris says to her.

She lulled against the booth’s seat and slowly nods. “I know.” Kris shifts the bangs from her hair when he sees the host calling for him for the other, he had to separate his times throughout the night in balance of the all the women he serviced.

In a bout of jealousy of how long he had been with the first girl, a second girl buys a bottle to gain his attention, the ultimate profit for them all and a string of hosts gather around her. And Kris joins in the laughter and shared excitement as they repeatedly pour her drinks and hold her up as she begins to lose her balance and sways on the spot. They'd help her to a cab when she's had enough.

He sometimes thinks of what to say to the world who takes glimpse inside this place. The only message he hopes come across is: ‘Please don’t judge too critically.’

-

“Victoria, are you unwell?” her maid asks in concern.

Victoria dresses appropriately for the evening, “Not at all, I’ve just been out late.” Something the maid knew of course, but didn’t want to insinuate. Accusing the daughter of spending her nights wildly, or possibly unchaste nights with her boyfriend was taboo.

The maid, like her family, assumed she was seeking back her ex-boyfriend or with friends to cope the loss. Victoria just plays along.

“I doubt they’ll accept where I’m truly at,” Victoria confides. Kris chuckles.

“Believe me when I say, you’re in the same predicament as almost everyone here. Their families and friends wouldn’t like the idea of them spending their time here, their lovers I doubt do either.”

“Are there some who are dating?” Victoria asks.

“Don’t think they’re all unlucky in love. A lot of them are quite happy in their relationships.”

Victoria’s brows knit together, she doesn’t understand then why these women were here in the first place if they were in fact in a healthy relationship.

“Then why?”

Kris just gives her another smile and she knows he’s done with answering her prying questions. “Let’s speak of your family.”

“There’s nothing to say.” She counters.

“You ask so many questions, why can’t you answer some of mine? I’ve been fruitful and honest with them all.” He reminds her, and she knows he has.

The fact that he does however, makes her realize it was just another way to guilt her into opening up.

She doesn’t have to go along with any of this, but she obliges. “There’s not much to say about them, they’re fine, respectable people.”

“One could say that about any other family. What’s different about yours from the others?”

Victoria pauses and shifts her gaze to her hands placed on her lap, “Nothing.” She says.

Kris tilts his head. “Do you even know your family?”

“Of course I do.” She affirms and becomes the debutant she’s using to acting as, her manners she used in every social event.

Kris takes a considerate look at the change in her demeanor, “you’re aware there’s no pretenses here.”

At that reminder, Victoria feels her guard relax. It’s nothing to do with the atmosphere, but the man she’s with that makes her realize there’s no use. He’s seen every story, hers is no different.

“I don’t know much about them,” she admits. “We’re a family, we’re related, but that’s as far as it goes. They’ve never neglected me. I appear with them whenever a campaign occurs, prepared for the next press release. It’s then we’re all together.” she adds. “But I don’t feel the way about them as I should I think.”

It’s something she’s never told anyone, and she feels conflicted rather than relieved. “And your family?” She shifts the topic to him, and turns to face him. “Do you know them well?”

Kris blinks, she thinks he may avoid this question as well.

“I do,” he admits.

“Do they know?”

Kris stares, and Victoria can see those thoughts running through him. He almost looks as if he’s about to answer, but just settles for a smile instead.

Then another customer calls for him and he takes his leave for the night.

It’s enough nights there and Victoria sees that the changing hosts work by commission, not by the number of girls they welcome or talk to. It brings an income, but not the majority. It’s settled by the bottles of wine.

Sometimes it’s not always whether the women want to drink either, she sees how flustered and adoring they become to their host. They’ll shell out whatever means to both have them come by and draw their attention, but to also demonstrate just how much they cared for them.

She reminds herself that like the men who frequent those hostess clubs, these women also had means of opportunity and money to spare. And they chose to spend it here.

“Would you like a drink?” A host asks her, Victoria declines, a gesture she always did but they never stop asking her.

“Thank you,” she says either way and the host moves his attention. Victoria hears a distinct sound of greetings from the front and isn’t distracted by it, keeping to herself per usual.

She’ll have to see him another night, she decides and walks of the host club. She walks down the district to reach the not so lighted streets, comfortable when she recognizes the silhouette and a jacket.

Victoria doesn’t return home so soon, and follows inside a different host club and walks right through. And to her horror, she sees Krystal sitting comfortably with a group of men surrounding her.

“May I offer you a glass?” She knows they’re asking, and sees that she accepts.

Victoria is careful not to make a scene and it takes all of her not to rush in and stop her. She sees each glass being poured and it tightens her chest, but Krystal soon leaves before she has a chance.

“Is something wrong?” A host asks her, and Victoria almost admits every concern that she wants to vent to the man. She had been so caught up in it all that she forgets that this isn’t just a woman’s fantasy, and that there’s a high cost to everything.

With for fortune, she forgets that there’s those who cannot afford the mere luxury offered to them, but give up everything just to. And it infuriates her.

The host club where he worked was no different than this, she reminds herself.

To her luck, she sees Krystal stepping out of the host club and walking in the direction back to her work. A part of her wants to call her name and ask her not to return to work, but then sees that Krystal isn’t stepping towards her own club at all. And when instead steps in the venue opposite of hers, right into his.

“Krystal!” Victoria calls out.

Krystal sees her face and brightens immediately. “Good evening!” She greets enthusiastically. “You’re as beautiful as always,” she says in honest admiration at her dress. Victoria steps towards her and reaches for her wrist.

“Krystal, you shouldn’t spend so much.”

“It’s only $200, I haven’t earned enough for a full bottle.”

“You only make so much Krystal, you have to save that money, if you spend it in these places you’ll be trapped here.”

Krystal looked disheartened at her words but Victoria continues trying to reach through to her, “Please, don’t spend it here. This isn’t a good place for you.”

“But they’re nice to me.” She murmurs.

“They’re- They’re suppose to act nice to you! That’s how they work Krystal,” Victoria asserts and can see Krystal is further dismayed by her words. If Krystal continued this spiral, she’d never leave this place, and that thought haunts her to know all of Krystal’s work is just funding the very places.

And if all her money went here, then she was just working to continue this cycle.

Victoria realizes it isn’t her world shattering around her, but Krystal is looking at her with empathy. As if Victoria misunderstood everything.

“I like it here,” Krystal says warmly, “They understand.”

Victoria blinks, “What do you mean?”

“Krystal.” A voice interrupts before she can explain.

Then, another man places his arm around her shoulders and graciously smiles at Victoria, though she knows that it’s merely a facade in her favor.

“It’s too chilly to be standing out here,” he says gently to Krystal. “Let’s go in.”

Krystal doesn’t refute his offer and goes along with, but not without a guilted look as she looks back at Victoria.

Victoria is exasperated as the two walk inside.

“Do you want to be a problem customer?”

Victoria shifts to the man who’s standing on the top steps, she had been so focused on the young woman that she doesn’t notice his arrival.

“Your business is built on women with low self-esteem who have little finances but to finance you! She’s trying hard enough to make a comfortable life for herself, and instead of saving it for a good future, she’s floundering it all. And you’re not even guilty about knowing you spend their money.”

Kris smiles, “Is that so? How are we any different from the purses, the jewelry and clothes a woman chooses to splurge in? Why can they choose to spend as they want on anything else, but when it comes to us, it’s a sin?”

Victoria stood quiet as Kris rounded towards her. “Why do women come in here, to drink and talk when they can do the same at some bar with friends? With a lover maybe? Maybe some family. Is it so simple to you?”

Kris places his arm down by his side. “If one goes to a bar, they are willing then. But who will willingly listen to their problems, let them do what they want, and not pursue anything further than mere conversation? Who wants to burden their family, if they have any at all, with the fruit of their problems. They refuse to be a liability to those important to them, but who can they turn to?”

He’s that much closer and she wants to back away from his intimidating stature, but something about him stuns her to stay exactly where she is.

This isn’t fear. And from all the powerful men in the life, none has ever made her feel this overwhelmed.

His eyes lock with hers, “And when one has a career society judges, who else can understand them but us? We are all one and the same, misunderstood by society.”

And at her silence, he smirks. She’s not admitting to defeat, but an answer refuses to come to her. She’s sure there’s a number of reasons, but she doubt many could suffice.

“People will pay for someone to listen. No price is too high.” The distance is already so close between them, that when Kris takes his final step, Victoria feels their breath mingling together and their bodies almost pressed together though not enough.

“If you continue to shame my customers, I will ban you from entering.”

Kris then turns away and his cell phone rings, she sees that there’s two on his holster. She sees him speak to his suppliers and business contacts on one, and for the women who maintain interest on the other. Though they appear to be one and the same, Kris never allows the two sides of his lifestyle to interweave together.

Despite the differences in their way of life, there were more similarities than she thought there’d be.

They each have an image to constantly maintain to those around them, and though it’s just one life, there’s many parts of it to maintain almost exclusively from one another. She herself finds it a struggle to keep herself from just drowning in it all, something she wonders if Kris faces too.

It’s a suffocating world, but they both learn to keep breathing.

She sees how draining his job truly is. This lifestyle is masked with laughter and raised glasses, smiles plastered on every face. Maybe because she’s trained, used to the seemingly perfect, that she sees the imperfections clearly.

Against her best wishes, she feels sympathy for the man.

The elevator doors open and the front desk host looks up from behind the counter. “Welcome,” he says sweetly.

Victoria greets back and stares about the crowd to see Kris entertaining in a distant booth.

“May I book a room?” She asks, and the host nods.

The assigned door opens with just a turn of the doorknob, and in walks Kris who steps inside. It’s a small room with two long seats and a television in the edge, paintings hung on top and dim lights above.

He expects her sitting and waiting on the seat to his left, but the karaoke room is unoccupied.

He cursed loudly.

She had intended the room for his benefit, so he could rest under the guise of entertaining a client. He didn’t find the favor considerate, but disdained her act of kindness.

Kris turns sharply away from the room and steps right back out.

-

A/N: For research, I used this one documentary (that I liked a lot) from youtube called 'How To Be A Host in Japan.' Although the title felt misleading, none of it really told how to be a host, but the consequences of what occurred when you are one. Wanted to post the links but it's been removed... If you ever come across it, I encourage you to check it out ^^. Update: I found the documentary on Netflix if anyone has one! Although the title is completely different, it's called The Great Happiness Space, Tale of an Osaka Love Thief