CHAPTER 4

ILLUSION OF FOREVER : GOODBYE

The sand was covered with a thick layer of snow; Seong Jin's cold, bare feet let their prints behind as she walked over it. Seoo Hyun watched from afar as the love of his life stretched her arms, like hugging the Sun. But the Sun wouldn't be enough to warm her up, anyway. He sighed and followed the steam coming out of his mouth as he leaned casually against his car. Seong Jin seemed like having so much fun - she spinned around, she laughed, she collapsed in the snow, she made angels, snowmen, she rolled around. Soo Hyun sighed again.

'Why me?' he thought. 'Seriously, why me...?'

[ Flashback ]

"Seong Jin..." Soo Hyun almost whispered her name.
"Huh? What is it, oppa?" she looked at him curiously.
"I... I like you..." he stuttered as he fiddled with his fingers in anxiety.

Seong Jin smiled as she approached him and carressed his cheek.

"Oppa, please don't." she looked straight into his eyes, her hand still on his cheek.
"What?" he looked up at her, amazement readable in his eyes.
"Please, don't. I don't want you to be heartbroken, okay?" she then hugged him tightly and disappeared through the door.

Soo Hyun followed her with his eyes until he couldn't see her anymore. He was too shocked to move. With one hand, he clutched tightly the cloth on his chest as his head went down in disappointment. He felt rejected. He felt the last person on this world. He sighed and let a tear roll down his hot, flushed cheek. He then let out a sudden chuckle and brought his hand up, wiping the tear away. He looked at his finger and laughed silently.

'Spilling tears over a girl...' he thought. 'Not worth it...'

Classes had already finished. He was the only one left in the lockers room after a rough session of basketball training. After he finished drying himself with a towel, he opened his drawer to take out his backpack and clothes. But as soon as the small door crept open, dozens of pictures of Seong Jin stood straight up in his vision - on the walls of the compartiment, on the door... He knew perfectly when, where and what occasion they were taken on. He couldn't take his eyes off them... But neither could he rip them off. He let his head down and slowly, his feet sled on the slippery floor, Soo Hyun landing on his knees.

'Damn you.' he cursed silently. 'For God's sake, damn you.' he shook his head and tried brushing off the thought of Seong Jin, but her words and image would just echo back.

[ End of Flashback ]

"Oppa, it feels so nice, why don't you come too?" Seong Jin interrupted his flow of thoughts.

Soo Hyun startled and turned his attention to her. Seong Jin was smiling broadly, pulling him with invisible hands towards her. He paced slowly through the snow, careful not to slip on the ice. As the Sun was right behind Seong Jin, its light made her look just like a shadow - a slim silhouette in a huge Universe.

"Oppa," she smiled, "Let's go see the frozen ocean, shall we?" he tilted her head to the side.

Yet, she didn't wait for an answer. She grabbed his hand and dragged him along and didn't bother putting her shoes back on.

"Aren't you cold...?" Soo Hyun asked, staring blankly at her pale, bare feet.
"Nuh." she replied bluntly, still dragging him.

As they arrived besides the ocean, the Sun started to set.The sky shed warm colors, blending softly with the scattered white clouds. Soo Hyun and Seong Jin looked deep into the horizon, like searching something they both lost a long time ago...

"Oppa, I'm gonna walk around now..." Seong Jin broke from the grip Soo Hyun had on her hand and went further.

Soo Hyun let out a sigh. He barely felt Seong Jin moving, neither did he hear her words. He continued looking at the sky.

"DON'T!" he heard a high-pitched voice and then a loud gunshot.

Soo Hyun's eyes widen in utter amazemet. His life passed by his eyes as a lightning, flashing back all the memories he had.

[ Flashback ]

"What's wrong, amigo?" Kevin sat down next to Soo Hyun.
"Nothing." he turned the other way, avoiding any discussion that implicated-...
"Just spit it out. You know I'l try to help you." Kevin ran his hand across Soo Hyun's shoulder, amically.
"You won't understand!" Soo Hyun brushed Kevin's arm off his body and got up from the sofa.

Kevin nodded, yet, he didn't understand anything at all.

"How do you know? Come on, just tell me!" he followed Soo Hyun as he paced through the room.
"Fine !!" Soo Hyun shouted. "Fine, I got rejected, happy now?!" he eyed Kevin angrily.

Kevin's jaw dropped to the floor, as he stood there, rather stunned.

"What, cat ate your tongue?" Soo Hyun walked towards the minibar and poured himself something hard.
"Wait, dude, don't-..." Kevin rushed up to him and took the drink from his hand. "You think it's gonna turn good if you drink?" he threw the glass away, smashing it to the floor. "You ain't doing nothin' if you drink!" he shouted.
"What's your problem, anyway?" Soo Hyun sighed, disgusted of his friend's behaviour.
"YOU." Kevin shouted angrily. "Listen here, if you think your world ends at that girl - whoever that is-, then you're more of a duma-.."
"My world DOES end at Seong Jin, Kevin." Soo Hyun interrupted.

Kevin was even more shocked than before. He let out a chuckle and tapped his friend's shoulder.

"Nice joke," he laughed, "I almost fell for it!"
"I'm not joking, buttface." Soo Hyun replied bluntly. "She rejected me." he started pacing through the room. "She told me she doesn't want me heartbroken. The heck?" he kicked the air in frustration and ran his hands through his wavy hair.
"Uhm, listen." Kevin hesitated, "There are so many girls in this world...!"
"There aren't for me!" Soo Hyun shouted again. "And YES, my world DOES end at Seong Jin!" he emphasised the words.

Kevin was clearly unaware of the situation, and didn't know how to honey-coat the truth; Soo Hyun was already heart-shattered.

[ End of Flashback ]