Misfire

Playing Cupid

            Sungmin listened at the door when Kyuhyun and Ryeowook came home, they chatted for a while in the kitchen, making fun of Minho and complaining about Sungmin and Jongwoon scratching the paint in the hall before they went into their separate rooms.  Sungmin could hear Kyuhyun’s computer turn on and finally walked away from the door.

            “You know nothing’s going to happen that fast,” Jongwoon pointed out, glancing up from his book, thick blue glasses sitting on his nose.

            “Can’t I be hopeful?”

            “Those two are slow, I’m sure we’ll have to do a lot more work than just rearranging rooms to get those two together.  I mean, it has been over six years,” he reminded Sungmin.

            “I suppose,” he said, pouting as he hung clothes up in the closet.  “I can’t believe you have this much room in here.”

            “I brought a bunch to my parent’s place already,” he said, turning a page.  “I figured you needed some extra space.”

            “I’m not a clothes horse like Hyukjae,” Sungmin informed him.

            “Just so I’m completely prepared, though, just tell me one thing…do you really sleep in a pink nightgown?” Jongwoon asked.

            “No.”

            “Good.”

            “It got ripped up by Heechul’s cats when we were watching them for the weekend.”

            Jongwoon opened his mouth to say something, thought the better of it, and closed it again.  He set his book on the nightstand and slid off the bed.  “I keep reading the same paragraphs three times before I retain it, so I think I ought to just go to bed.  I’m a little sore from moving everything around.”

            “So am I,” Sungmin said, giving Jongwoon a sympathetic look.

            Jongwoon opened a dresser until he found his flannel pants and then pulled his t-shirt over his head, tossing it to the floor.  Sungmin’s eyes went wide as he watched Jongwoon proceed to his jeans and pull them down before reaching for his flannel pants.  Sungmin forced himself to turn his back, feeling his cheeks begin to burn. 

            “I think that tomorrow we should start kicking it up a notch and pretend to flirt around each other a bit but still try to pretend like we’re trying to keep them from noticing,” he said, walking back over to his bed once he was done changing and slipped under his covers. 

            “That’s a good idea,” Sungmin said, trying to regulate his voice.  He quickly hung up his last two shirts and closed the closet door before he rummaged through his drawer for his pajamas.  Suddenly, he felt rather shy about changing in front of Jongwoon, dispite having changed in front of Kyuhyun countless times over the years, even with the belief that Kyuhyun was interested in guys.  But he knew that Kyuhyun only had eyes for Ryeowook, it had been obvious from the very beginning, so it really wasn’t an issue. 

            When Jongwoon looked distracted by trying to set the alarm clock on his phone, Sungmin quickly changed.  “Can I turn off the light?”

            “Yeah,” Jongwoon said, setting his cell phone down on the nightstand that sat between their beds. 

            Sungmin turned off the light and sat down in bed.  Just as he rested his head on the pillow, his bed began to creak and the mattress fell to the floor.  Jongwoon rushed to turn on the light and found Sungmin, stunned and lying in his broken bed, staring up at the ceiling.

            “I think a screw or two may have come loose in the process of moving it,” Jongwoon said, extending his hand to Sungmin and helping him to his feet.

            “I guess I’m sleeping on the couch.”

            “Now that’s not going to look good for our plan, is it?” he shot back.  “They’ll think we’re fighting.  You’d better just sleep in bed with me tonight and we’ll fix this tomorrow.”

            Sungmin bit his lip and scratched the back of his head, completely incapable of coming up with a single response and allowed Jongwoon to usher him towards the bed.  He lay down and moved towards the wall as Jongwoon killed the light and then slipped into bed next to him.  Sungmin scooted as close to the wall as possible.  Jongwoon’s bed was bigger than his twin bed, but it certainly wasn’t queen size.   

            He felt so strange, being in bed with Jongwoon, that he curled up into a little ball and stared at the wall until he heard Jongwoon’s breaths slow.  He then to his back and glanced over at Jongwoon.  His arms gently wrapped around his pillow as he lightly snored.  He was so beautiful, Sungmin thought.  He always had been but seeing him so vulnerable, with his eyes closed and oblivious to the world around him, he looked as defenseless as a baby.  Hours passed before he tired of watching Jongwoon sleep before he succumbed to his tiredness himself.

 

            Ryeowook waved Kyuhyun over to Jongwoon’s door as soon as he got up.  He put a finger to his mouth, warning him to be quiet as he neared the door, cracked open just a hair, and brought his eyes up to the opening.  He then stepped back and he looked at Ryeowook with wide eyes.

            He carefully closed the door without making a sound and pulled Kyuhyun into the kitchen.  “Can you believe that?” Ryeowook whispered, jumping up and down in his excitement.

            “No,” Kyuhyun admitted, shaking his head.  “I thought you were crazy when you said that yesterday.  I had no idea that they may have really hooked up.  I guess we didn’t have to worry about them after all.”

            “Oh,” he said, squeezing Kyuhyun’s hand, “I’m so happy for them.  Do you think we should tell them that we know or wait until they say something?”

            “We better wait until they’re ready and pretend we don’t know anything.  I don’t want them to feel pressured to talk about their relationship before they’re ready.  You know how that is,” he said, walking over to the cupboard and taking down a mug, filling it with coffee.

            “But you don’t think they’d be relieved to know that we already know and they don’t have to hide anything?” Ryeowook countered.

            “No, Wookie,” Kyuhyun warned.  “If they wanted to tell us, they would have already.  Just let them be and don’t try to interfere with their love life.  It’s rude.”

            Ryeowook pouted and returned to the stove, stirring the eggs around in one pan and then flipping bacon in the next.  He then leaned against the counter and sipped his glass of orange juice as he thought.  “You know, things would be an awful lot easier if everything were out in the open though.”

            Kyuhyun walked over to Ryeowook and placed one hand on either side of him, clutching the countertop, and pressed his body close.  “Is that so?  You know, I don’t really think you’re saying that for their sake.  I think you’re speaking for yourself.”

            Ryeowook stood up on his tiptoes, trying to see eye to eye with the tall maknae, and flicked his nose with his finger.  “It’s mutually beneficial,” he said, beginning to lose his balance and clasped onto Kyuhyun’s shoulders to keep from moving. 

            Kyuhyun moved his hands to Ryeowook’s hips to steady him.  “Quit worrying about them, they appear to be doing much better than we thought,” Kyuhyun whispered softly, his warm breath hitting Ryeowook in the face. 

            When Ryeowook opened his mouth to object further, Kyuhyun pulled Ryeowook into him and kissed him, nipping at his bottom lip before angling his head more and pushing his tongue inside.  He lifted Ryeowook off his feet and sat him down on the counter, beginning to slip his hand under the elder’s shirt, tracing his fingers over Ryeowook’s defined abs.

            They were too focused on each other to noticed the door close and footsteps approach the kitchen and stop in the middle of the room behind Kyuhyun.

            “Geez, can’t you at least turn the stove off before you get started,” Hyukjae complained, walking over to the stove and turning off the gas.  “You burnt the eggs.  I would have loved to eat them.”

            Ryeowook laughed as Kyuhyun pulled him off the counter and set him down on the floor.  “I can make you some more.  Are you just getting in?  Did your date go well?”

            “Of course,” Hyukjae said, sitting down with the bacon skillet and picking out the well done slices, trying not to burn himself as he fished them out of the pan.  “I’m a dancing machine, just like Kyuhyun said, and I took my time showing her my moves.”

            “Quit being so cocky about it,” Kyuhyun said, smacking him in the back of the head.  “Why didn’t you come home about fifteen minutes later so we could all be so lucky?”

            “You going to demonstrate how it’s done for the hyungs, just like I found out?”

            “No,” Ryeowook said, throwing out the eggs and grabbing new ones from the refrigerator, “Kyuhyun says I’m not allowed to say anything until they do.”

            “Say anything?  I’m talking about walking in on you that day you were breaking in the new sofa.  What are you talking about?”

            “Sungmin and Jongwoon.  Last night,” Kyuhyun said, putting it plainly.

            “No,” Hyukjae said, shaking his head.  “They aren’t sleeping together!”

            “Oh yeah?” Kyuhyun said, pulling Hyukjae to his feet by his arm and dragging him down the hall.  He motioned for Hyukjae to peek inside and he gave the maknae a questioning look before doing it anyway and looking in on their hyungs.

            “Wha!”

            Kyuhyun quickly slapped his hand over Hyukjae’s mouth and pushed him away, quietly closing the door as he walked away. 

            “No way!” Hyukjae exclaimed as he reached the kitchen.  “I had no idea!  Those two were talking about—they didn’t let on that they—oh my God!”

            “Shhh,” Kyuhyun hushed him.  “Let’s just keep this between us until they decide they want to tell us.  I don’t think they’ve been involved very long, let them have time to get comfortable around each other before they have to start talking about their relationship to everyone else.”

            “Sure, fine,” he agreed.  “I don’t know how the hell I’d mention that topic anyway.  Hey Jongwoon, I see you’re banging Sungmin now.  Guess that makes me the only straight guy in the apartment after all.  No, thank you.  You have nothing to worry about from me.  I’ll pretend I have no clue.”

            “Hey, quit flapping your lips and go stir the eggs,” Kyuhyun ordered him.

            Hyukjae looked over at Kyuhyun as he wrapped his arms around Ryeowook from behind while he was filling the toaster with bread and began to nip at his neck playfully.  He then tickled Ryeowook’s sides until the eternal maknae was laughing so hard, he was turning red from lack of oxygen.  Kyuhyun tilted Ryeowook’s head to the side and kissed him, ravishing his mouth.

            “You two,” he said, sighing as he stood up and tended to the food.

 

           

            Sungmin snuggled against the warmth surrounding him.  Few dreams were this incredible, the feeling of being held in someone else’s arms tight, knowing that you’re perfectly safe and that they would never let you go.  Strong arms holding onto him.  Light kisses against his cheek and pressing on his forehead before moving, slowly and leisurely to his lips.  No, he couldn’t be bothered with waking up and letting go of what he wanted, by day and night.

            He crept closer to the source of warmth and felt arms tighten around him.  Lips touched his, soft and unhurried.  They his bottom lip, tasting him before lightly, prying his lips apart and slowly exploring his mouth.

            As he drew himself closer, needing to feel the strength those arms promised, he felt a light touch trace down his back, soothing him.  The touch moved around to his chest and began to slip down his body and between his legs.  The hand eased his legs apart as they moved over his thigh.  He felt his breath hitch as fingers traced over his manhood.

            A strange gasp and a light click roused Sungmin from his trance and as he blinked his eyes open and they adjusted to the morning light, he found himself wrapped up in Jongwoon’s arms, who happened to slit his eyes open at the same moment.

            “ARGH!” Sungmin yelled, jumping back and banging his head against the wall as Jongwoon pushed away from him and accidently rolled off the bed, too tangled in blankets to stand up. 

            Jongwoon wiped away the wetness on his mouth with the back of his arm as Sungmin covered himself with the comforter, painfully aware of what his thin pajama pants were not hiding at this point.

            “What the hell?” Jongwoon cursed, finding his voice first.

            “You touched me!” Sungmin said, pointing at him with a shaking arm.  “You touched me there!”

            “Shut the hell up before the whole apartment complex hears you,” Jongwoon ordered, keeping his voice low.  He fell back against the rug and looked up at the ceiling, trying to calm himself.  “This was all just a big mistake.  We were both asleep.”

            “Yes, a mistake,” Sungmin agreed, burying his head in the comforter.  “I never would have done that if I were awake.”

            “We’ll fix your bed today and it will never, ever happen again.  We needn’t even mention it again, correct?” he asked, looking back at the bed.

            Sungmin nodded.

            “Okay, from this moment on, that never happened.”

            “Okay.”

            Yesung unwrapped the blankets from around his body and stood up.  “I’m going to take a shower, a really long one, and I’d really appreciate it if you weren’t still sitting there in bed when I got back.”

            “Okay,” Sungmin agreed as Jongwoon collected some clothes and walked out of the room.  Once he was alone, he lay back down in the bed and tried to breathe deep, in and out, to calm himself down.  But his mind was bombarded with the memory that would never erase itself, no matter how much it was ignored, and he unconsciously brought his fingers to his lips, remembering.