Misfit

Shelter

The sizzling sound of cooking wakes up Joo Young, her nostrils inhaling the familiar smell. Her mother was preparing some type of meat for breakfast. Tossing her head over with a light groan, she glances at the clock. She frowns deeply and rubs her eyes a bit to make sure she's reading the analog clock correctly. She's not crazy, the clock actually reads 6:30am. Joo Young sighs and grumbles, "Oh what the is this?" Never in the teen girl's life has she had to wake up so early, not even when she was attending Akita High back in Japan. The earliest she's ever woke up is 7:30am and she always managed to make it to her classes back then on time. However, today she doesn't feel like rushing. Joo Young rolls back over and throws a pillow over her head to block out noise as she drifts back to sleep. Yet not even five minutes later, Joo Young can feel someone tapping on her leg repeated and the muffled calls of her name.

"Aish! Go away," Joo Young yells as she sits up abruptly whilst throwing the pillow.

"Oh look at this girl! You have school today, don't you remember?" Her mother says with an arm protecting her face while she pointed and wagged her finger at the irritated teenager.

WIth a of her teeth, Joo Young plops back down on her bed, reluctant to leave. Her mother complains loudly as she grabs her daughter's feet and begins to pull. Joo Young figures her mother has finally gone crazy. She squirms out of her mother's hold, growling as she spit Japanese words. The verbal fight between the two seems to go on for some time before they come to a conclusion where the mother angrily stomps off and the daughter slams her door shut. Later she can hear through the walls of her bedroom her mother's loud threat. "You better be ready and gone by 7:15 before I tan your and drive you there myself!"

Her mother tends to her younger sister, Mi-Ho, and prepares breakfast as she sets the dishes out on the table. When Joo Young emerges from her room fully dressed, it's around 7:10am and she trudges over to the dining room table, lazily taking a seat on one of the cushions on the floor and grabbing a bowl of rice with chopsticks. She eats dawdling, taking time to slurp the rice down with kimchi, vegetables and meat in. Her little sister joins her then at the table, her hair straight and up in pigtails. The child is only around seven years old so she's just being elementary school and doesn't need a uniform yet. Lucky for her, kids that age aren't as judging and her sister was a sociable person so she would make quick friends despite her outer appearance.

Mi-Ho squeaks with a wave of her hand, "Hi!"

"Mhmm, mornin'," Joo Young grumbles through chewed food in . "Ahhh," she drags out as she offers a spoonful of rice to her sister because she knows Mi-Ho is also a chatter box. Mi-Ho opens her small mouth wide as she takes in as much rice as she can. Joo Young already has a hand hovering underneath the child's lips for when rice falls. Mi-Ho manages to eat without making a mess and Joo Young eats the little that is left on the spoon after. As Mi-Ho chews on the rice, Joo Young takes some kimchi with her chopsticks and wraps it in leafy vegetables before sticking the roll in her own mouth. Her mother enters the room then, dressed and ready for work.

"Hey Joo Young don't forget to pick your sister up after school okay?"

"Yah! Why don't you do that yourself?" Joo Young interjects.

"I have to get to work!" Her mother yells as she grabs purse and coat. She's at the door slipping on her shoes now. Before she leaves, she glances back and reminds Joo Young not to forget her sister. "Have a nice day at school girls!"

"Bye Mommy!" Mi-Ho waves goodbye with her hands. Joo Young waves her off with the back of her hand as she drinks water from her cup. Their mother leaves quickly, leaving the two girls to finish up their breakfast in peace. Joo Young checks the clock and realizes if they don't leave soon her sister would be late for her first day. She chides her sister softly to hurry up and get her stuff together. Though Joo Young was without school supplies this didn't pertain so much to her sister.

Before leaving Joo Young has her sister eat some kimchi wrapped in greens real quick. While Mi-Ho is chewing, the two walk over to the door to get their shoes on. Mi-Ho then takes her big sister's hand as the door opens. Joo Young locks the door before the two begin to make their way down the road, Mi-Ho skipping as they made their way down the small hill. It takes some time for them to get to Mi-Ho's school. By the time they arrive in front of Su-Jin's elementary the bell is just ringing. Joo Young can tell Mi-Ho is just itching to go to school so she bends down to her height and tuns the girl towards her, hands on Mi-Ho's small shoulders.

"Alright kiddo, time for school," Joo Young says with a small smile on her lips. "I'll be back and waiting right here for you okay? Don't leave the gates until you see me. Understand?"

"Yes Joo," Mi-Ho answers, her eyes glancing back to her school. "Can I go now?"

"Alright, alright," Joo Young laughs as gives her sister a light pat on the . Mi-Ho goes, Joo Young and her exchanging waves of goodbye. Joo Young knows that there's a bus stop nearby that will take her pass her school so she begins to make her way over to the corner of the sidewalk to walk over to the other side. She briefly checks the time on her cellphone and finds that she will be late for school. She shrugs and stuffs the phone back in the pocket of her blazer. Waiting for the light to change she taps the tips of combat boots against the ground. She's not in a rush and could careless about being late.

Once she's across the street, Joo Young waits about five minutes before the bus arrives. She steps on the vehicle and has her bus card scanned before moving towards the back of the bus. There aren't many people but she can still feel pairs of eyes trailing behind her as she passed those few. The second she takes her seat, Joo Young makes a stank face, lips pulled up at an angle to bare her teeth in a warning sneer, the eyes disappear.She then slouches against the seat with a foot hanging out in the aisle. She's used to the unwanted attention but she still wished people would mind their own god damn business.

On the way there the bus makes few stops for those who are either on the bus or getting on. It seemed like a quick trip to Joo Young as she steps out of the bus at her stop but when she glances at her cellphone for the time, she sees its 8:19am. She's probably missing her home room announcements right about now but seeing as she doesn't give a the teen slowly strides in, passing the school gates and, after a couple more steps, entering the building.

The halls are pretty quiet. The sound of her foot steps were probably echoing down the hall. There isn't anyone in sight, no one to be heard. She stops at the foot of the stairs leading to the next floor, swaying her hips side to side, the curls of her hair mimicking her movement. She could easily make a last-minute escape and start skipping school. No one would ever notice.

"You there! Why aren't you in class?" Except that guy . . . Son of a , Joo Young curses as she stands still to await the scolding she's about to receive.

The man continues to shout, "Are you aware of the time? What is your-"

There is a pause. He registers Joo Young's face with a of his head. Joo Young takes a quick side glance at the teacher and she comes to realize it's that annoying Vice Principal. She doesn't care for his name because she just can't stand to here his voice. She discreetly rolls her eyes and bits her bottom lip to refrain from spitting unnecessary comments.

"Oh, you're the new transfer student," he points out. He then clears his throat before speaking again, "Uh if you would . . . be so kind . . . as to follow me . . . I will show you to . . . your home room?"

Joo Young's face turns sour as she listens to the Vice Principal address her in poor Japanese, speaking slowly as if she were a retard. She feels somewhat insulted, she wouldn't attend a Korean school if she didn't know how to speak Korean, and if this was some cheap trick for her to be impressed than it was an utter failure. Pushing the thought aside, she calms herself with a deep breath before flashing the Vice Principal the fakest smile she could come up with, which seemed pretty convincing seeing as the man returned the smile. She answers back in Korean, "Yes, I would appreciate it if you showed me to my room."

Joo Young can tell by his shocked expression that he realizes his mistake. Now you feel like a tard don't you?

Laughing awkwardly, the Vice Principal gestures the new student towards the stairs and leads her to her home room. There's no small talk made between the two and that's the way Joo Young prefers it. She has better things to worry about, like her new class for instant. She knew she should have smoked something beforehand, the nerves  and this queasy feeling inside her stomach are what she can't handle. She runs a shaky hand through the curly fringe dangling in front of her face as she tries to calm herself. They have reached the floor of her classroom and are heading down the hall. She can make out the numbers from the sign above the sliding doors. It reads:

Class 2-2