Creep

Shelter

Thunk. Thunk. Thunk. Thunk.

The heavy steps of combat boots come to a halt at the gates of Seungri High. It's clear from the silence outside that the school day has already begun with no sight of any student roaming around. She stands shifting from one foot to the other as she chews on flavored gum. A sigh escapes between her lips, thin wisps from the cold forming off the tips like cigarette smoke. Speaking of smoke, she could really use a drag right about now or some liquor in her system, either would work for her. She just doesn't want to deal with this, with reality, with life but for some odd reason she's just puts up with the endless piles of she receives. She's already figured out her motto for life. When life hands you ery, you whip a like it's no one's business.

From behind her, she registers the sound of shuffling feet growing closer. "Wow! This school looks a lot bigger in person," her mother interjects in a childish tone. An arm loops itself around one of the teen girl's as the mother suggests they hurry inside to get a good look around. Entering through the glass doors, the two follow the small signs and head straight for the principal's office. The girl grows tiresome of being dragged around, literally, by her petite mother, trudging a bit slower in a reluctant fashion. The mother chides her daughter quietly in japanese to pick up the pace while she comments on the interior of the school. Her mother was flabbergasted but the girl is not impressed. Seungri High was just another school and school was merely a place where the phrase 'living hell' came to life. The only thing that makes school less bearable are the friends one can make but here, here she has no friends. She is all alone and it will probably stay that way for the rest of her high school years. She never was the sociable type.

"Hello there, you must be Ms. Kwon," greets a woman dressed in a feminine styled suit, flowing silk fabric with a belt around her waist to show off what little curve she has. She offers a hand as she continues. "I am Principal Im. We spoke on the phone earlier."

"Oh yes, it's a pleasure to meet you," her mother answers back in Korean whilst they shake each other hands. She gestures towards her daughter at her side and states, "This is my daughter, Kwon Joo Young."

"It's nice to meet you dear," Principal Im says directing her attention to the taller girl, her hand stretched out in offering.

Joo Young chews on her gum slowly to make that annoying smacking sound. She can already tell that this woman and her would not be on good terms within the first week. She detests the way the woman looks at her, eyes shifting to her hand and back as she waited expectantly for the teen. While blowing a bubble, Joo Young takes her hand and they share a weak handshake. The bubble pops, coating Joo Young's lips in gum. Principal Im just smirks a bit wider at the teen's immaturity. Joo Young then and the gum back into carelessly as her mother begins to pat her arm in warning and laughs awkwardly.

"Lovely daughter you have here," Principal Im comments, with a hint of sarcasm Joo Young picks up on.

She rolls her eyes openly, tittering with her head turned to the side, not hiding her annoyance with the older woman. She receives a hard squeeze from her mother around her skinny noodle-like arm, a message to start acting right or she would receive an whooping later. While still laughing awkwardly, her mother thanks the principal for the comment. "Well we should get started on those papers, I have a job to get to later."

"Oh yes of course," Principal Im agrees. "But first, why don't we take a quick tour? Just so you and your daughter can have an idea of how our school works."

"Really? Oh we would love that," Joo Young's mother says, the eagerness in her voice clear. Trying somewhat to better her behavior, Joo Young remains quiet but she groans internally. To her, the tour is a waste of time that would be better spent on filling out papers.

Nevertheless, Principal Im, with a smile plastered on her pubescent lips, gestures the two down the hall to follow her as she leads the way. The mother proceeds to drag her child once again as they take a tour of the school. They visit just about everything her mother asks for, which includes the library, cafeteria, multiple classrooms, and even the girls' bathrooms. They're outside, getting a better scope of the school grounds when they walk by a gym class going on. The laughter and shouts of teens, boys and girls, fills the air as they play soccer and Joo Young can feel the dull throbbing of a headache. She hated noise but she does enjoy watching one of the boys' get hit upside the head. Why? Because he had caught sight of her and was blatantly staring. He got what he deserved.

"Ah yes, the gym classes usually take place outside and is run by Teacher Jo. You will get to know him better once you've started school," Principal Im adds as they pause. Principal Im then nods her head to the side as she suggests, "Shall we continue?"

"Ah, yes of course," her mother agrees. She pats her Joo Young's arm to get her attention. "Don't you think the gym uniforms are so cute?"

"No," Joo Young answers straightforwardly in Korean. Her mother knows she very much despises the color yellow, more so than the color pink. Pink is just to flimsy girly but yellow is just . . . It emits a happy vibe that she's just not used to and so she hates the color yellow. 

After taking the elevator back up, the principal emphasizing to Joo Young that only teachers are allowed to use the elevators, the trio return to Principal Im's office. Joo Young and her mother take a seat across from the principal, Joo Young crossing one leg over the other as she leaned back  in the chair slouching. Her mother tuts softly with a frown aimed at her daughter before turning her attention back to Principal Im with a forced smile. They proceed to discuss the terms of Joo Young's enrollment, making the final touches on tuition, school materials, requirements and such. Her mother compromises with Principal Im to let her slide by this week without her books and gym uniform, promising Joo Young would be set the following week. Principal Im enforces that Joo Young receive her books in a timely manner so her education is not hindered and Joo Young her teeth with a low snarky laugh. Her rude behavior goes unnoticed, seeing as her mother is just as willingly to leave before her daughter is expelled on the spot. 

The last paper is signed and the three stand up. The principal and her mother share one last handshake. "It is our pleasure to welcome your daughter to Seungri High. I will see you tomorrow then, Joo Young."

"Mhm," Joo Young hums with a smile and raise of her eyebrows. She then strides out of the office first, the clunking of her boots echoing off the floor as she walked. She rakes back some long curls of her hair as she waits on her mother, tapping her heel against the floor impatiently. Her mother finally emerges from the office, bowing slightly in gratitude at the door frame. She then turns to her daughter, sighing deeply before her face turns sour. She shuffles quickly to Joo Young's side, smacking her arm a couple of times as she hissed, "Stupid, stupid, stupid girl! Would you prefer jail than a good education?"

"Trust me Mom. Jail sounds like a better deal than this dump," Joo Young laughs as her mother hooks an arm around hers and they began to make their way towards the exit.

"Oh honey please try not to get expelled, we can't afford a better school than this." Her mother reminds her gently, "You know what your father's situation is. We don't need anymore problems okay?"

"Dad's problems aren't mine," Joo Young points out. "Besides, it's not like I'm going to college once I get my diploma."

As they walk down to the bus stop, her mother complains, "Aigoo, what am I going to do with you child?"

"I don't know," Joo Young answers honestly as they wait for the bus in the cold. Today is over and tomorrow will come to soon.