"I can't stop thinking about you!"

Just Best Friends

 

          Andy Lee was walking alone to the parking lot after the shoot for Shinhwa Broadcast had ended when his cell phone rang. The name Dongwan shone brightly on the LED screen.

            "Hey, hyung, what's up?" he asked casually.

            "You're really just gonna head home without playing with your hyungs? It's not fun without our maknae!" Dongwan's voice whined.

            Andy chuckled. "Sorry, hyung. I'm not feeling well and I really don't want to catch anything, just in case, with the flu going around and all."

         After a moment of silence, Dongwan answered, "You're right. Maybe I should go home, too." At that, Andy could hear Minwoo threatening to take Dongwan's precious bag of vitamins captive if he didn't come drink with them.

            "Okay, okay! I'll go!" Dongwan seemed to yell at Minwoo before returning to his phone call. "Andy yah, feel better, okay? You better be healthy enough to go bowling with us next week!"

            "You know I won't miss out on bowling for anything," Andy told him. "Tell everyone to have fun!"

            "'Kay, thanks! If you find Hyesung or Eric out there, can you tell them to hurry up? Everyone's starving."

             "Yeah, sure."

            "Thanks, Andy! Miss you already!" There was a click as he hung up the phone.

            As he continued to walk down the aisle of cars, Andy tried to remember what had happened that day. Honestly, he couldn't remember much since all his shooting days were always a jumbled blur. With the bright lights of the camera, the loud laughing of the crowd, and the constant yelling of the director, the day had left him with a big headache to deal with. He knew he needed a hot bath and hours of deep sleep more than his beloved Shinhwa hyungs right now.

         He finally spotted his car a couple feet away when he heard the sound of a familiar voice.

          "We need to talk," Eric said. Andy whirled around to see where the sound was coming from and saw Eric and Hyesung a row of cars away, face-to-face.

       "Eric hyung--" Andy began to shout then stopped abruptly when he saw Eric forcefully grab Hyesung's wrist. Andy quickly ducked to conceal his whereabouts and continued watching them.

      Hyesung pulled himself away from Eric. "What do you want now, Eric? Do you think I'm going off to see a girl again?" he yelled in his face.

            Eric seemed to wince at his words. "Look, I already apologized for that. I... I just wanted to confess something."

          That made Hyesung look nervous. "What?" he asked, his voice still rough.

           "That day... when I came looking for you..." Eric seemed to hesitate. "It wasn't because of Shinhwa."

           "What?" Hyesung whispered. Andy had no idea what was going on but he knew he shouldn't be eavesdropping on such a private conversation. But it was too late now and curiosity had gotten the best of him.

            Eric's eyes dropped to his feet. "I know you can take care of yourself. It's just..."

            "It's just... what?" Hyesung inquired, his tone softer.

            "I... I'm worried about you. I'm worried about you, Jung Pilgyo."

           Hyesung narrowed his eyes and his words dripped with ice again. "You're worried about me, why?"

            "Because..." Eric's voice got lower. "Because..."

            "Because, what?!" Hyesung spat, completely irritated now.

          "Because I can't stop thinking about you!" Eric shouted loudly then looked around to see if anyone had heard. Andy made sure he was completely invisible behind a red SUV.

            "What?" Hyesung seemed confused now. "You... what?"

        "That's right. I can't stop thinking about you." Andy's heart seemed to drop. What the heck was going on? He wanted to run out and shake Eric's shoulder but all he could do was listen as Eric's confession continued on. "I... I don't know why but I can't do anything because you're always on my mind. I don't know if it's because I like you or anything, but--"

            "What?" Hyesung seemed outraged. "But you like women! You're like the straightest guy I've ever met!"

          If things weren't so serious, Andy was sure Eric would've laughed at that. But there was no room for humor now. "I know. I don't like men. But... but you're different. And I've been hiding it for a while but I just can't anymore. I can't even film because of you. You distract my every thought. You--"

            "Then keep hiding it," Hyesung cut him off.

            "What?" It was Eric's turn to be confused.

           "I said, keep hiding it," Hyesung repeated. "You said you've been hiding it for a while. Then what's the point of saying it now?"

          "Because you're driving me insane!" Eric cried. "I don't even know if these are romantic feelings I'm having! But I know you feel something, too. Please, Pilgyo..."

            "Stop," Hyesung firmly said. "You're mad, Eric. Go see a psychiatrist." He pushed past him to get to his car.

            Eric grabbed his shoulder, forcing him to turn around again, and looked him straight in the eye. "Look, Jung Pilgyo. I told myself that I wasn't going to think about you today. But I did. Constantly. All this time, I kept myself in check for the sake of Shinhwa but the way things are going, I'm going to end up jeopardizing everything I've ever worked for anyway. I don't know what's going on but all I know is that there's something incredible between us and I won't be able to do anything before we sort it all out."

       Before Hyesung could respond, Eric grabbed his hands and pressed on. "Pilgyo, let's run away. Let's go somewhere no one else can find us." Andy shivered at how desperate his hyung sounded, a mixture of passion and craze. This was like a scene of a drama except it was nothing but cold, twisted reality. "We can go where we don't have to hide behind fake identities and clear out our honest feelings there."

          Hyesung pushed him away, making him stumble back. "I don't have time for this, Eric. I'm going home. Tell the others that I won't make it to dinner tonight."

       Andy quietly watched Hyesung walk away and get into his car. Eric stayed rooted to the ground, unable to move or speak. After a few minutes, Hyesung's car rushed passed him and only then did Eric finally sigh and walk back into the building, leaving Andy alone in his hiding spot.

   Andy realized then that he had been subconsciously holding his breath the whole time. He let his legs tumble beneath him as he exhaled and fell on the concrete ground, feeling completely stunned. He felt as if he had just been slapped across the face by a creature called confusion. Now, all he was certain of was that something far worse had just replaced his throbbing headache.