Chapter 1

Just Classmates

 

3:30pm

Kyungsoo sighed as he glanced down at his watch. Class didn’t start for another half hour, what the hell was he supposed to do for another thirty minutes? He relaxed against the cushioned sofa chair, tracing his fingers along the intricate patterns of zigzags the fabric had formed. He could pretend to be busy on his phone like everyone else in the hall, but he has no one to text, call, or just anyone to even talk to. He could text his mom and see what she was doing.

No that’s stupid, I’m in college now I don’t need to text her. He thought to himself. Kyungsoo was somewhat of a loner. He spent the majority of his high school days hiding in the library burying himself in his text books. When he wasn’t in the library, he sat in his classrooms doing homework or getting help. Whatever he did, he just liked being alone. He liked the fact he had no obligation to anyone. He didn’t have to plan with other people to go out and didn’t have to make up excuses on why he can’t go to a party or whatnot. He felt independent, but at the same time he felt lonely. He wanted that friend. The friend who you trusted your soul with. The friend that you could tell anything and would never judge you. Hell, he just wanted a friend that would just remember his own damn birthday. Maybe…maybe he just wanted someone to talk to. He had friends like that before, where he told them everything about anything. He would ramble for hours on end and they would do the same back. He would actually go out with them unlike now where all he does is just sit on his all day either studying or playing video games. But people grow up. They change. Time moves forward and soon your best friends turn into complete strangers and become another blurred face in society. 

This happened to Kyungsoo time and time again. All his friends had moved away, gone to different schools, or they just…drifted apart. He didn’t mean for it to happen like that but, it just did. And now, at a new school with new faces, he felt somewhat relieved. Relieved at the fact that he’s a nobody here. No one gave a about what clothes he wore, how his hair looked, or who he hung out with. He just blended in. Depressing, yet relieving.

“So this is college…” he whispered to himself, still tracing the sofa patterns. Lost in his own thoughts, he didn’t notice the professor walking towards the door fiddling with fifty different keys in his hands. Hell he didn’t even know who the damn professor was anyway. He glanced up at a somewhat short and slim Asian professor. He was tan and wore small glasses. Was definitely older, mid-forties perhaps? Kyungsoo stared for a bit watching the professor before standing up and hovering over to the classroom. When he walked in, it was small but cozy. Not that classrooms are cozy, but actually this classroom was nicer compared to other rooms he had been in. The floor was smooth and polished. There were three rows of two seater desks, two against the walls and one row directly in the center. Though the lights were off, the window on the back wall flooded the room with outside light. Kyungsoo was taken back a bit by the view from the window. The classroom itself was only on the second story of the building, but the building itself is perched on top of a hill overlooking the city. Gazing through the window from the other side of the room, he felt as though he could see miles and miles of the city.

Even though Kyungsoo preferred sitting near the back window, he chose the front desk as he learns better sitting in the front. With only just two seats per desk, he was curious who would be his partner. That’s if anyone decided to sit next to him. Usually it’s no one. The class filled up at a constant rate and the room was almost full. He analyzed each student who walked through the door. Some looked friendly; others looked like they would gouge your eyes out if you looked at them the wrong way. Occasionally a cute girl would walk through the door, and one even made eye contact with Kyungsoo. But of course, they just walked right past him as if he were a speck of dust.

you too. You could say Kyungsoo overreacts and though it’s not his nature to do so, his mind can’t help the side comments.

Time moved quicker, and class was about ready to start. The professor hadn’t said one word since he came in. His laptop was hooked to the projector, but by the looks of it he didn’t know how to operate the damn thing.

Kyungsoo let out a yawn before folding his arms across the desk and burying his face in them. He closed his eyes and concentrated on nothing but his own thoughts. He thought about this stupid class, on how it didn’t let out until six thirty. Why the hell is a class two and a half hours long anyway? Don’t the teachers have lives as well?

The class started getting louder and voices fluctuated throughout the room, some louder than others. Kyungsoo eavesdropped on some of the conversations, hoping to gain some insight on what people actual talk about. Though it was mostly about school, he overheard one girl talking about how her last party went and how she vomited on her boyfriend from drinking too much. Kyungsoo grinned as the girl kept talking, amused for some strange reason.

People trickled in less and less and the sound of the door opening and closing lessened. The room was nearly full and no one chose to sit next to Kyungsoo. He didn’t care though, he just wanted to get this class over with.

“Hi erryone. My name is Phi Yu.” The professor stumbled out with his thick accent. Kyungsoo raised his head and sat up straight darting his eyes from the professor to the projector on the board. “Welcome to Astronomy 100 I hope---“

The professor suddenly cut off when one more person came through the door. He was tall and slim. Kind of lanky but had a nice built to him. He had dark hair and his fringe partially covered his face. He seemed rushed and out of breath. The boy glanced at the professor flashing him an apologetic smile slightly bowing his head. His smile was mesmerizing and his teeth were so damn white. Kyungsoo’s eyes widened as he stared at the boy. He was beautiful. He felt like he was looking at some sort of celebrity or model. Maybe he was famous? Kyungsoo never really kept up with the media, but this boy had a charm to him. His black winter jacket was neatly buttoned and his gloves were fitted perfectly on his hands. Kyungsoo couldn’t help but just stare. He had never seen someone so good looking before. Well he has before, like in movies and magazines and whatnot, but never in person. Sure he had met other good looking people in his life, but this boy was just perfect. What felt like a good minute was actually just a few seconds in reality. The boy was hesitant at first on where to sit at first. He scanned the room quickly, knowing the pressure he was under to sit down.

Please sit next to me please sit next to me please sit next to me please sit next to me look over here this chair is meant for you.

Kyungsoo never looked at other boys like that. But who wouldn’t want an insanely attractive person sitting less than two feet away from them even if they were of the same ?

The new boy walked towards Kyungsoo’s direction, looking down at the floor as he made his way in between the other desks.

Yes yes yes yes yes almost here.

Kyungsoo stared and watched the boy reach his desk. He straightened his back and did a quick hair flick. He smiled up at the boy only to find a split second later that he walked right past his desk. His grin turned into a glare as he watched him sit in the desk behind him.

Are. You. Effing. Serious. Right. Now.

Kyungsoo muttered in his head. He couldn’t believe it. Actually, he could and he wasn’t surprised like this happens to him. He sighed and continued to listen to the professor’s ramblings over the syllabus.

“If you don’t know anything about astronomy, that’s okay! Read the text book, do the online quizzes, and do well on the midterms and final. I will offer extra credit assignments throughout the semester. Usually for class I will show two videos that take up most of the class and I will share any articles I find…” Kyungsoo at this point zoned out. Part of him wanted to glance behind him at the boy, but another part of him didn’t want to give a about him. He was just so damn attractive.

The professor proceeded to show an introductory astronomy video that explained the fundamentals behind the subject. Though Kyungsoo wanted class to be over with, he was actually interested in the subject. Time flew by in what felt like a matter of minutes as he watched the video. Once the video was over the professor let them have a quick ten minute break to get food, use the restroom, etc. Kyungsoo just rested against his chair and glanced at his watch.

5:15pm. Uhg.

“So what’s your name?” a voice mumbled behind Kyungsoo. His heart quickened. Is that boy talking to me? Pfft probably not.

“My name is Jongin. What’s yours?”

“Taemin. Nice to meet you.”

“Ah yes, nice to meet you.”

So his name is Jongin? Kyungsoo nodded his head, making note on the boy’s name.

“So how do you like this class so far?” Taemin asked. Jongin paused for a moment, choosing his words carefully.

“Hmm it’s alright I guess. I kind of like astronomy so hopefully this class will be alright. What about you?”

“Honestly…I was hoping there would be some cute girls in here,” Taemin snorted. “But I guess you’ll just have to do.” Taemin whispered adding a giggle.

“Uhm…” Jongin paused. Kyungsoo could feel the awkwardness radiating off of Jongin and almost started to laugh.

“I’m just joking Jongin. You should see the look on your face haha.” Taemin said louder.

He’s already flirting? Damn he moves fast.

It’s not that Kyungsoo was jealous (at least that’s what he tells himself), but the fact that Taemin was already flirting with him irked him a bit.

Class continued with another video. Not as boring as the last one, but it at least held Kyungsoo’s attention. Every now and then during the video, he heard Taemin and Jongin murmuring to each other. Even though he couldn’t hear exactly what they were talking about, he just hoped they weren’t flirting anymore. At least he hoped Taemin wasn’t flirting in this case. Kyungsoo has always had bad luck when it comes to dating. Anytime he had ever found a girl cute, some other person would waltz over to them and snatch them right in front of his eyes. Every. Single. Damn. Time. Or like the one time where Kyungsoo introduced his best friend to his high school crush and immediately after the introduction he knew it was the one of the biggest mistakes he made. He could tell after a few minutes of them talking to each other that they already had feelings for one another. He knew right off the bat they would become that annoying high school couple where the meaning of PDA doesn’t exist in their vocabulary. You could say Kyungsoo was used to the feeling of “a love that was lost.”

Whatever. There were plenty more girls out there for him. He knew one day he would find the right one for him. Now wasn’t the best time for him anyway.

The video finally finished and glanced at his watch.

6:28pm. Damn that went by so fast. Kyungsoo thought to himself.

“Okay erryone, it was nice meeting you and see you all tomorrow. Drive safe….uhh have a good night. Remember to log into your school account and start working on those online quizzes!” The professor ended class with. His English was pretty decent to say the least. His accent made him sound like he barely knew the language. Kyungsoo stood up and threw his bad over his shoulder before walking towards the door. Everyone was packing themselves into a tight circle around the door, all thinking they can squeeze through the exit at once. One guy even pushed him and caused Kyungsoo to stumble a bit and caused him to lose his balance. He grabbed the nearest object he could to prevent himself from face planting onto the cold floor. His hand reached for an arm. Any arm that was in front of him and quickly caught himself from falling. He didn’t even realize whose arm it was until he looked up, and it was him. The beauty who walked in earlier, the one that Kyungsoo was strangely attracted to. Once they both were able to walk into the hallway, Kyungsoo felt uneasy and was still holding onto Jongin’s arm.

“Oh- oh god I’m so sorry the guy behind me pushed me and I just didn’t want to fall I’m so-“

“Hey don’t worry it’s fine. Are you okay?” Jongin asked, flashing a soft smile as he patted Kyungsoo. His eyes were mesmerizing and just by looking at him, Kyungsoo felt giddy like a teenage girl.

“Yeah I’m alright thanks. Sorry for startling you, I really didn’t mean to” Kyungsoo said softly.

“Like I said don’t worry about it accidents happen. I’m Jongin by the way.” He offered his hand out to Kyungsoo while smiling. Kyungsoo took his hand in his own and gave it a slight squeeze. The boy’s hand was smooth, unlike Kyungsoo’s whose was dry and cracking thanks to the blistering winter air.

“Oh yeah I know-“He stopped himself. Damnit don’t act awkward. The fact that he already knew his name before he introduced himself made Kyungsoo seem… weird. At least he thought that would be weird. “Errr no I mean I know your name is Jongin because I heard you talking to the boy next to you. I’m Kyungsoo by the way.” Kyungsoo knew this conversation was already going downhill as he already made himself seem weird.

“Haha no it’s okay, Taemin kind of talks loud anyway. Nice to meet you Kyungsoo.” Jongin grinned. Kyungsoo was about to reply when he heard a phone ringing. He checked his pocket for his phone to see if it was his, but of course it wasn’t. It wasn’t even his ringtone and Kyungsoo was confused as to why he checked in the first place. He watched Jongin pull out his phone from his coat.

“Your ringtone is Girls Generation?” Kyungsoo snickered.

“Heck yes, did you not listen to their new song? Well anyway, I have to take this but I’ll see you tomorrow yeah?” And just like that, Jongin began to make his way to the staircase, smirking as he winked at Kyungsoo before looking away.  Anyone within a ten foot radius could surely hear Kyungsoo’s heart pounding.

So, this is how this semester is going to go. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So here's the first chapter. Hope it was enjoyable, reflects my college and high schoo life to be honest lol.

Any comments are welcomed, in the next chapter there'll be more Kaisoo development hopefully (might be adding in other exo members as well)

So yeah, my first non ty chapter tbh lol. but don't worry!! I plan on writing a hurhurhurhurur.