Cousin

Dream Protector or My Protector? (HIATUS)

BTOB (비투비) - WOW.mp3

Minwoo arranged our position as soon as everyone got ready for the practice. Minwoo said I wasn’t tall enough to be paired with neither Youngmin nor Kwangmin. So he paired me up with Jeongmin (who was almost a head shorter than Youngmin), which made Youngmin unhappy about it.

“You are mocking her! What do you mean by she’s not tall enough? Who cares about our heights anyway?” Youngmin complained as Minwoo pulled me away from him and dragged me to stand beside Jeongmin.

“I’m not. Soojin admitted she’s not really that tall as well, isn’t it Soojin?” Minwoo looked at me and I nodded. It was true, I wasn’t really tall. I was only 160cm tall. “And I care about our heights. Don’t think you’re taller than me then I should be afraid of you!” Minwoo snapped and hid behind Donghyun.

“Just shut up you guys! Let Soojin make her own decision okay?” Donghyun interrupted and look at me. “Who do you want to be pair up with?”

I looked from Donghyun, to Minwoo, Youngmin, and finally, Jeongmin. As a perfectionist, I always asked for perfect unless I knew from the beginning there was no perfect for the thing I was going to do, so I picked Jeongmin.

“Since Minwoo thinks that it will be better for me to be pair up with Jeongmin, then why not?” I answered and approached to Youngmin. “Come on! I’m sure we’ll get another chance to perform again. Next time, I will ask to be pair up with you, is that okay?” I comforted him and patted him on his back.

“Fine, then who will be my partner?” Youngmin asked and sniffled.

“It’s your brother of course! Am I right, Kwangmin?” Minwoo answered and stop hiding from Youngmin already. Kwangmin just nodded and went to Youngmin, "Since when were we not partners?” Youngmin sniffled again and hushed me away. “You don’t want to be scolded by Minwoo.” He whispered and pushed me away. “Yes sir!”

Minwoo trained us to soften the stiffness of our bodies. Fortunately, I was a dancer back in ASTAR, so it only took me 10 minutes to do it and I certainly lighten up Minwoo’s mood by showing how flexible my body was.

“Well done Soojin! I wasn’t expecting that much from you to be honest. Keep it up!” Minwoo complimented me and continued to monitor on the others. He then asked me to monitor on Youngmin, Kwangmin and Jeongmin whilst he monitored Donghyun and Hyunseong.

I knew Youngmin would be playing with me if I check him first so I went to check Kwangmin.

“Am I doing it right? Do I...really...have to bend this low to…soften….my stiffness?” Kwangmin asked while he bent down from his back and had himself supported by placing his hands on the wall. I nodded and helped him with his waist. “Your waist, is still a bit stiff, do you think you could still bend lower?” I asked and supported his waist. Kwangmin bent lower as I said and his hands were on the floor already. “Well done Kwangmin!” I forgot that I was suppose to support his waist and clapped my hands. I thought he would fall and then I forgot his hands were supporting him enough already. Everyone looked at Kwangmin in surprise and got motivated. Other than Minwoo, Kwangmin and I, everyone tried to bend like how Kwangmin did. Minwoo also gave Kwangmin permission to rest.

“Thanks.” Kwangmin said as he stood up straight and straighten his shirt. “You’re welcome.” I smiled and went to help Jeongmin.

“Do you think I could make it?” Jeongmin asked as his hands reached the lowest part of the wall. “Why not? Everybody can do it, including you!” I replied and helped him just like how I did to Kwangmin. “Do you like Kwangmin?” he asked suddenly when I tried to support his waist. “What?” I looked at him questioningly. “Nothing.” And his hands were on the floor already. “Minwoo ya! I did it! Can I rest now?” he asked and looked at Minwoo. Minwoo nodded and gave him a thumb up.

“My turn!” Youngmin shouted as Jeongmin went to rest with Kwangmin. “It’s not a surprise that you can’t do it on your own. Your legs are too long!” I made a comment and shook my head. “You mean I’m too tall.” He replied with his body bent 90 degree from his back. “Whatever. I think I have to do it this way.” I stood in front of him and held his back. “Now try to bend until your hands touch the floor. Your palms must be facing downward.”

Youngmin did as I said and bent down. Before his hands reach the floor, Donghyun whistled. “Girl that looks so wrong.” He commented and shook his head while trying to bend his body. “Jealous?” Youngmin replied and his hands touched the floor. “I did it!” Youngmin added and stood up. “Soojin, how did you teach them? Donghyun hyung and Hyunseong hyung just couldn’t bend as low as your students did.” Minwoo asked and heaved a sigh.

“Hey! We’re not that bad, right hyung?” Hyunseong snapped at Minwoo’s question, and with his determination, he bent low enough that his hand finally touched the floor. “See! I did it!”

Donghyun was not happy that he was the only one who was left. He tried to bend as hard as possible, but I guessed his body was to stiff. I went to help him and only then, he did it.

“I know what’s wrong with you, Minwoo.” Jeongmin said suddenly and tapped his chin. “Soojin is better at this.” He continued and everyone laughed at his joke. “You guys are wrong. Minwoo just didn’t help you guys to support your back while you guys were bending. He was trying to make you independent. But I guess you guys can never be independent.” I interrupted and Minwoo was clapping his hands by then. “Whatever.” Youngmin added and laughed again. Sigh, that kid would never be serious.

After that, Minwoo showed the dance steps and started to the actual practise. I caught up really fast and Minwoo was pleased with me. While the others were trying hard to follow the dance steps, there I was, chatting with my cousin; Yook Sungjae.

Sungjae Pabo:
So, life’s good in your current school?

Me:
Too good be consider as school life. What about you? I bet Ferilina still sends you chocolates every morning. Kekeke ~

Sungjae Pabo:
Ugh! Please don’t mention her name, I’m frustrated enough already. Btw, I will be going to spend summer break with you. Omma said it’s good that I want to spend my time with you. I reckon she still thinks that I hate you. HAHA Poor omma didn’t know I’ve forgiven you years ago.

Me:
DON’T USE SHORTCUT WHEN YOU'RE CHATTING WITH ME! HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU WANT ME TO REPEAT THAT?! As for your mom, you better tell her about how close we are, or else she will feel sorry for me forever. As for summer break, I THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS CHOICE! Or else that stupid Kyung will definitely –

“Soojin ah! I’ve calling you for 4 times already, who are you chatting with?” I was conscious of Youngmin’s shouting by then. “Oh, I’m sorry. I was chatting with Pabo. What is it?” I looked from my phone and answered.

“Pabo? Who’s that?” Youngmin asked and snatched my phone away. “SUNGJAE PABO? WHO IS HE? IS HE YOUR BOYFRIEND? IS HE YOUR ADMIRER? HOW LONG HAVE YOU KNOWN HIM?” Youngmin burst into questions and looked at me with puppy eyes.

“He’s my cousin…” I answered and pointed to my phone. “Can I have my phone back please…?” I asked. “Cousin? Sheesh! I thought he was your boyfriend.” He replied and gave me back my phone.

And then, Minwoo told me the practise was over. We could go back home already. So we all packed up our things and locked the studio. “See you guys tomorrow!” Hyunseong bade us goodbye and left for a restaurant that he claimed as the best restaurant. Donghyun said he’s got other matters to attend to and left too. Minwoo went to another studio to practise another performance with his friends, leaving Kwangmin, Youngmin, Jeongmin and I alone.

“Soojin ah ~ is it okay if I go to your house today? Since its only 3PM, I have nothing to do, maybe we could do some revision?” Jeongmin turned to me and asked. “Me too!” Youngmin joined in and begged me to say yes. I looked at Kwangmin but he just shrugged and said, “I’m following my brother.” Before I could say yes, Dad appeared out of nowhere and answered for me. “GLADLY! Students coming to my house to do revision, I will never say no to this occasion. Come on, I’ll drive.” And just like that, we all followed him.

Youngmin was chanting excitedly and asked Dad a whole lot of questions, Kwangmin closed his eyes to take a nap, leaving Jeongmin and I sitting in the car, saying nothing at all.

When we arrived home, Youngmin hopped off Dad’s car excitedly while the others and I behaved like usual. Not until I saw someone familiar.

“YA! YOOK SUNGJAE PABO!”