Would You Be My Girlfriend?

Dream Protector or My Protector? (HIATUS)

 

Boyfriend - 소나기 (One Day).mp3

“Would you be my girlfriend?” Kwangmin asked and tried to flash me a smile that could kill almost any girl in this world, but not me, though I admitted that my heart skipped a beat for a moment.

I couldn’t bring myself to look at Kwangmin like that. He was asking me to do him a favour and there he was, hiding his hands behind him and he bit his lips unnecessarily. He didn’t really look at me when he asked, was he really that nervous?

“Not for real though, I mean…There is this girl named Nayoon who claims that she studies in ASTAR and she likes me and she confessed to me the other day. She said she will wait for my answer patiently but I think I shouldn’t make her wait too long. I don’t like her and I don’t have feelings for her. I never really talked to girls before in my life, at least not until you came. So I thought maybe you could help me? And it would be more convincing if you’re with me. ” Kwangmin blurted out everything. He must be really nervous.

Nayoon was no stranger to me. In fact, I knew her since I was 12. She was one of the first few bullies who called me ‘Nerd’ and made fun out of me. I thought of how Nayoon usually confessed to her ‘target of interest’ and how she would react if she got a ‘No’ in return. I shivered at the thought of it. And then I thought that maybe, if the fact that Kwangmin and I were together would piss her off more than anything else in this world, then why not?

“Look, Soojin, its ok if you can’t help. Thanks for –”

“No. I will do it.”

“You do?” Kwangmin eyes widened ten times when I cut him off. A moment ago, his face was drained of colours, and now, he looked lively and blood filled in his cheeks as well. Though he was cheering, I noticed he was blushing too.

“Well, after the practice with hyungdeul, we will go to ASTAR together then. Is that ok for you?” Kwangmin was already holding my wrist and he dragged me out from our class.

Before I could answer, Youngmin appeared. “Not so fast. I have a better plan for you Kwangmin.”

“You were eavesdropping!” Kwangmin’s face flushed redder this time, but not because he was nervous, because he was angry and he let me go.

“Instead of lying to her saying you have a girlfriend and let Soojin pretends to be your girlfriend, why not let Soojin pretends to be my girlfriend and we’ll go with you. Tell her you can’t face her alone, and you want us to go with you. As for why should Soojin pretend to be my girlfriend, I don’t want to stand there all awkward and staring at you and Nayoon doing all those dramatic stuffs. It’s easy, right?”

Although I felt kind of awkward between them two, I agreed with Youngmin. Especially they were talking about this kind of topic. I tried to slip away while they were arguing but failed. “Don’t escape, young lady. You’re not going anywhere.” Youngmin caught my wrist and flashed a killer’s smile.

“Hyung, let go of her, she doesn’t want to be involve in this plan of yours.” Kwangmin pulled Youngmin’s hand away and Youngmin loosened his grip on my wrist. I massaged my wrist and winced, there were marks on my wrist as well.

“Just do as I say, she will pretend to be my girlfriend and you’ll tell that admirer of yours about how you have no feelings toward her.” With that, Youngmin concluded and dragged me along with him.

I turned to look at Kwangmin, and again, I saw those eyes. Eyes full of sorrows. Then he walked away when he noticed I was looking at him and he gave me smile, a smile that I knew too well to not understand the meaning behind it. It was a sad smile, saying ‘Don’t worry, I’m fine’. I knew I wasn’t imagining it, it was true. How could Youngmin not notice about it? I yanked my hand free of his grip and yelled at him.

“Can’t you see Kwangmin’s facing difficulties when it comes to girls? Can’t you see he’s all alone and he needs someone to be with him? Anyone but you, you should’ve noticed it! Anyone but you, you should’ve stayed with him!”

Youngmin’s reaction after I raised my voice at him wasn’t what I was expecting. He wasn’t glaring at me like normal people would, instead, he was smiling, smug smiling.

“Come with me.” He said and started to drag me again.

I was curious at his reaction and wasn’t conscious of what he was doing to me. By the time I woke up from my thoughts I was already alone with Youngmin in the male’s dressing room. “Are you sure I am allowed to be in this room?” I gasped at the thought of getting caught and how would Dad react to this.

“Hyung, you can come out now.” Youngmin didn’t reply to my question, and then, Donghyun and Hyunseong emerged from the back of one of the lockers.

“Hi, we meet again.” Donghyun greeted me, he sounded like a player to me. “We heard you, when you were yelling at Youngmin. So we gave him a signal to bring you here.” Hyunseong spoke for the first time after I decided to ignore Donghyun.

“We were trying to help Kwangmin actually, we knew about Nayoon all along, it really isn’t that hard to discover whatever secret Kwangmin is keeping.” Hyunseong added and smiled at me, a reassuring smile.

“Whatever you guys are trying to do, I don’t agree and I don’t want to involve in it. I just want to help Kwangmin on my own.” I turned and was about to get out when Donghyun stepped in front of me so quickly that gave me a slight dizziness. “What would the others think when they see you coming out from a male’s dressing room? ‘Ooooh ~ it’s only the second day of school and she’s making out in the school already.’ Or maybe ‘What a shame, Sir Micky must be really disappointed.’.”

I looked at him in disbelief, how could he, no, how dare he threatened me? I cracked my knuckles and pulled his collar against me. “You don’t threaten me young man, sure you look like you’re muscular but I’ve learnt Taekwondo and I am not afraid to use them.” I realised what I was doing and let him go immediately.

Donghyun blew a low whistle when he straightened his shirt and looked from Hyunseong to Youngmin and finally, to me. “Look, I know we sound like we’re having fun looking at Kwangmin to suffer at this kind of situation, but it’s the only way he will learn, you’re a girl. You may not understand, but we really need your help, Kwangmin needs your help.” Donghyun said with a tone indicating he was being serious and I could tell he wasn’t bluffing. I looked at Hyunseong and Youngmin, they nodded to assured me that Donghyun was telling the truth.

We made an agreement after they told me what they were planning to do to help Kwangmin, even though I disagreed, I couldn’t do anything else. Donghyun was right. What would the others think of me if I walk out of the male’s dressing room? Dad would be mad, like, crazy mad.

After we had our agreement, Donghyun went out first and checked out if there was anyone out there, thankfully, there wasn’t. He gave me a signal and I went out immediately. I acted like nothing happened and went back to class. As for Youngmin, he was gone; he didn’t even attend the rest of the lessons as well.

I made Kwangmin sat beside me and tried to comfort him. “Don’t worry Kwangmin ah, Youngmin's just trying to help you. Although I don’t really understand the motive behind his plan, I’m sure he’s helping you. After all, he’s your twin brother. Siblings help each other, right?”

Kwangmin wasn’t really looking at me when I was comforting him, he stared at his hands and had his lips slightly parted. I patted him on his back and smiled, though I knew he wouldn’t know. Finally, Kwangmin turned to me and smiled, a fake one.

“Thank you Soojin. Don’t just comfort me, what about you? Are you really ok with Youngmin hyung’s plan?” Kwangmin asked and looked at me with his forever shining big eyes.

I was taken aback, I wanted to say no, I’m not ok but I wanted to help him as well though I wasn’t sure if the plan would work. I just nodded. “Well, it sounds fun to me in a way, I've never tried something like that, so why not give it a try?”

“Then I guess it’s not a really big problem.”