Aurora's Story

Fairy Tail Beginnings - Aurora's Story

 

The night was peaceful.  The stars sparkled like diamonds in the onyx-black sky, and as I paused in admiration a soft breeze tenderly caressed my cheeks. I never felt closer to the heavens as at that moment. 

I looked over my shoulder to Triston who slept soundly on the dirt at the base of the cliff. I watched my hair twirl around me as it danced in the wind. Never in my life had I thought my hair was beautiful, but under the moon lit sky, I couldn't help but enjoy it's spirit.

I rose to my feet and tossed a small pebble at Triston, "Stretch your loins Triston. I want to reach the peak before morning."

Triston slowly opened his eyes, stretching his arms high in the air. I pressed my body against the mountain and hoisted my body up and began to climb once again. Struggling my way up the side, glancing down at Triston who followed sluggishly behind, I felt the air become warmer and warmer with every feet we rose.

"It's a little hot, don't you think?"

Triston groaned as he rested his body against the mountain side, "I'd imagine so since we are closer to the sun."

"I don't think it works like that Triston."

Triston reached for a whole in the mountain and continued up my path. I silently searched for safe ways up the side, "Aren't you scared?"

I placed my hand on a rock and tugged on it to make sure it was secure. Then slowly, I lifted my body up a level, "Of course not! That's an emotion someone like me - filled with loads of courage - doesn't have."

"Oh," Triston murmured, "What possessed you to climb the mountain anyway?"

Reaching over the side of the cliff, I lifted myself over the edge then turned around to watch Triston the rest of his climb, "You ask a lot of questions," Triston shrugged, "Random ones at that." He lightly smiled, "I want to know who my parents are. One way or another, I have to climb this mountain to find out."

I stretched my hand down to Triston and took it without hesitation. I pulled him up with ease and rested on my hind legs, "It should be smooth sailing from here." I grinned, standing up and skipping over to the mouth of the cave.

"Can't we take a break first?"

"Just wait here, I won't be long."

I wandered into the cave analyzing every pebble and boulder. The farther I roamed, the more I felt vexed. Turning my head slightly, I noticed a glimmer in a corner. Flittering to the corner the crystals glimmered even more against one another. I quickly pulled my pack off my back and placed a chunk inside.

I secured it tightly then strapped my bag back onto my back, wiping the sweat off my forehead as I smiled with joy. Then, a baleful whine began from somewhere in the distance. Each moment it grew louder and louder, nearer and nearer, and dread filled me as though I were prey.  The sound echoed through out the cave and the sound familiarity hit me.

"A dragon!" Gasping for air I hurtled back to the opening of the cave, searching for a quick escape. It's beady white eyes sent my body to a halt. The mastodonic dragon rose up above me, he pulled his head back engulfing the thin heated air, then open his mouth, releasing large flames in my direction.

"Aurora!" Glancing to my side Triston wrapped his arms around me and pulled me down to the ground as we rolled to the side to safety. "Wait here. I'll distract him, and then you make a run for it." Triston ordered before running off to face the monster.

I tucked my legs to my chest and shivered. I was scared. Thanh had sent me without warning, Thanh is tired of me, Thanh wants me dead, Thanh never wants me to know about my parents, Thanh trained me nothing, Thanh knew I wouldn't make it back, Thanh knew I would be scared.

"Without being scared, you could not be courageous. Courage is doing what you are afraid to do. Being scared to death and moving forward is what being courage is. Bravery is the capacity to perform properly when scared half to death. You would be a weak nothing if you were not scared of me!"

"Thanh ..." I slowly rose to my feet, feeling my body shake with regret as I stepped out into the open, facing the dragon that roared just outside the cave. I kicked my feet at the ground as I rushed forward head on to the giant black scaled dragon. I rose my head up high as I bent my knees slightly and propelled straight into the dragons back side. A pain reached my back and I bit down on my tongue, closed me eyes, and listened to the sound of the roaring dragon.

Blood gushed down the side of my head, my body felt limp, and soon enough, I found myself asleep.

 

 

Photobucket