The Middle

One Does Not Simply Babysit

     

        You stood in front of Eli and AJ, not knowing what to do. You certainly can't let them continue their little war, someone's bound to get hurt. You should know, you have experience. So, what? Bribe them? Threaten them? Get on your knees and beg them? Yeah, no. That's not even a choice. They're kids. You can't let them control you!

        "I have a better idea."

        What? What are you saying? No you don't. Come on, come on. Isn't there anything you learned in school to help this situation?

        "Why don't we vote?" Not bad. "Ya'll know what to do, right?"

        Eli seemed to contemplate the idea.

        "That's stupid." AJ said.

        Oh no he didn't.

        "Fine. Why don't we vote to see who wants to vote."

        "That's just stupid-ER."

        This kid.

        "Those who want to vote, raise your hand!" You quickly shouted.

        So it was you, Alexander, and Kevin.

        "Those who want to play a different, more FUN and SAFE game, raise your hand!"

        It was still three, plus a half. AJ was holding Eli's hand down.

        "However you look at it, I win," you said smugly. "Now why don't you put those down and grab a pillow. I have a plan."

        AJ looked like he still wanted to put up a fight, but his brother grabbed him and followed you to their bunk bed.

 

*

 

        You stood in front of the panting, giggling kids, also trying to catch your breath. Kevin's hair was messed up, and there was some sort of plastic ring in Alexander's hair. The brothers were perfectly fine. Sure Eli's shirt somehow rode up and showed his tummy while AJ's pants looked like they were about to fall off, but like you said, fine. No blood or broken bones or anything.

        How clever of you to start a pillow fight.

        You were really, really scared before because, please, the pillows might be soft, but everything around you isn't. What if someone hit too hard or their head collided with the dresser. You were really, really lucky today.

        "I need to pee!" Kevin announced. "Real bad."

        "Umm, do you know how to... uh..."

        "He does," Alexander assured you. "He just get's lost easily so he doesn't know where the bathroom is."

        Crap. You don't know either.

        "Anybody else need to go?" you asked, hoping that yes, somebody else needed to release their bodily fluids and can show you the way to the unknown bathroom.

        AJ raised his hand. "I do!"

        "Okay, let's go."

        You went out the room first, but let AJ take the lead, walking beside Kevin. He stopped in front of a door with a wooden sign that says 'Bathroom', and in small letters underneath, 'Pee-Pee room'. How nice.

        "Kevin can go first," AJ said. "He looks like he really needs to."

        "Yay! Thanks AJ!" Kevin gave him a quick hug before going in, making sure to lock the door.

        So now it was just you, AJ, and awkward silence.

        "So," you started, trying to make conversation. "Who's older, you or Eli?"

        "Eli."

        "Ah."

        "But out of all of us in this house right now, you're the oldest one." Did he- Did he just smirk at you?! "You're old."

        "-ER, oldER than you. That's why you should listen to me." You can win this.

        "I only listen to grownups." Your eye twitched. "But sometimes I listen to Alexander too. Mom said that since he's two years older than me, his judgement is better, whatever that meant."

        "And yet you don't listen to me," You grumbled. "So unfair."

        A flush was heard and Kevin walked out.

        "Did you wash your hands?" you asked.

        "Of course!" he chirped. "It's your turn, AJ!"

        AJ was already inside by the time Kevin finished his sentence.

        You spent approximately three minutes listening to Kevin talk about all the great things in the world, Alexander and the Kim brothers included.

 

*

 

       You stood in front of a piece of paper taped to the wall next to the bedroom door.

 

        Dear guys who went to the bathroom,

                                     Eli and I went downstairs to get some juice and eat more cookies. We'll watch cartoons on TV so I don't think we'll be coming back. Eli just said he wanted to watch Paranormal Activity 2. I don't think that's a good idea. We'll save you some cookies.

Love,

Alexander

                       This message will self destruct in 5... 4... 3... 2 ... 1... 0... KABOOM!!!!!

 

PS. Please let us watch Paranormal Activity 2  :( Can't we vote? Pleeeeeeaaaaaassssseeee? I'll be your best friend forever :)

 - Awesome Eli

 

        "Let's go!" Kevin yelled, already running towards the stairs.

        "Be careful, Kevin! Don't run!" you warned, but it was too late.

        Or so you thought as the five year-old slowed down and carefully used the rails, going down the steps one by one.

        You sighed in relief, both you and AJ following Kevin, who jumped on the last step.

        "Eliiiiiii!" Kevin shouted. "Xandeeeeer! We're heeeeere!"

        You were greeted by a mess. A very huge mess. A messy mess.

        "I guess you guys really didn't save us some cookies," was all you said as you surveyed the area. Cookies on the rug, cookies on the couch, cookies on the coffee table, cookies in the pant plot (wut?), it was cookie paradise... that you have to clean.

 


Waste of cookies right thar. Probably my favorite chapter so far. At least I like it better than the first one.

I really don't know AJ that much, but I decided to give him the (kind of but not really) troublemaker role.

By the way. I just wanna say. Thanks for subscribing and commenting :3