The End

One Does Not Simply Babysit

 

        You stood in front of the two boys, Eli grinning sheepishly and Alexander looking apologetic.

        "How?" was all that came out of your mouth.

        "Well, you see... uh..." Eli looked at the ground, swaying his body back and forth.

        "Umm, Eli kinda didn't want to share the cookies... so..." Alexander was trying not to make eye contact.

        "Ah, I see. The good ol' Let's-eat-some-cookies-but-wait-I-don't-want-to-share-with-you-give-it-to-me-no-let-go-up-up-and-away-boom-there-goes-the-cookies scenario Act 3 Scene 1."

        They all just looked at you weird, seeing as you spoke the language of your people. AKA aliens.

        "Nevermind."

        That's what you get for trying to read the whole Romeo and Juliet story the night before your quiz.

        "So what do we do with all the cookies?" Kevin asked. And then he gasped. "Eli! Xander! You didn't say sorry yet!"

        Oh Kevin, that sweet little angel. "Sorry!" the two oldest chorused.

        "I guess it's okay. We aren't gonna have cookies anytime soon, though." You looked at all four of them as they gave a pitiful sound. "Help me clean up, you guys."

        Alexander looked really guilty so he was the first one to come to your side. Eli? Ha. AJ dragged him to the couch to watch Baby Looney Tunes. How ironic.

        Kevin seemed to be stuck figuring out if he wants to help you, or if he wants to join the brothers in front of the screen.

        "Hey! I have an idea."

        "It's probably stupid like last time's."

        Oh AJ, the things you say.

        "Whoever cleans up the most cookies wins a prize."

        It's funny how everybody's on the floor in a second. 

 

*

 

        You stood in front of the puddle in the kitchen. It was orange with some pink and purple in it.

        Eww.

        Eli cleaned up the most cookies and wanted to have a juice party. (He wanted a pet snake at first, but it was unavailable at that time.) So after throwing the cookies outside (so the birds and whatnot can eat them), everybody went into the kitchen, grabbed some juice cartons, sat on the stools, and pretty much fought over which flavor was better.

        Orange juice won, thanks to the Kim bros. You unknowingly joined in and said strawberry while Alexander insisted that grape's the way to go.

        Nothing came out of the argument. Really, it was unnecessary.

        As you bent down to start cleaning up, a loud crash that vaguely sounded like a stack of DVDs falling to the floor was heard, accompanied by some crying. You quickly rushed to the scene to find Kevin sprawled on the ground with a sorrowful looking Eli kneeling down next to him, saying sorry over and over again. Over to the side stood AJ and Alexander with concern in their eyes.

       "Shhhhhh," you whispered, hugging the now kneeling child. "Don't cry Kevin, don't cry." You rubbed circles on his back as he started to calm down. You pulled away at arm's length, searching for any injuries. He had a scraped knee and his elbow's gonna have a pretty bad bruise.

        You carried him to the bathroom (which you thankfully remembered the location of) and sat him on the edge of the bathtub, cleaning the scrape with soap and water. AJ silently handed you the first-aid kit from the cabinet, and you gave a small smile in return.

        "Okay, Kevin. Which one do you want, Spongebob or Batman?"

        "Spongebob."

        You put antibiotic cream on his knee and covered it with the blue and yellow band-aid. "Much better," you said cheerfully. "Right?"

        "Yup!" And there's that bright smile.

        Eli ran up to Kevin and hugged him, (which pretty much shocked everybody. Kevin was the one who gave hugs after all.) "Sorry," he said softly. "Sorry, Kev."

        "It's okay, Eli!" Kevin flashed him a bright smile. "Everything's okay now!" And Eli smiled back.

        "Hate to break the moment, but I think we should start cleaning up now. Mrs. Kim's coming back soon," Alexander interrupted. "Like, real soon."

        Oh Shih Tzu! Look at the time.

        "Yeah, I'm not even gonna ask. Let's just pretend nothing happened and clean up the mess that happened because nothing happened."

        Four heads nodded and everybody went back to the living room, (you just passed by it. There's still the kitchen, remember?) Kevin and Eli putting the DVDs back in their rightful place. The Christmas tree three feet away from them was undisturbed. Lucky, I'm telling ya.

 

*

 

        You stood in front of the mother who came back a few minutes ago. She already paid you. Thankfully, it had a few more extras since you had to take care of a few more extras.

        "Oh my! Everything looks perfectly fine! How you managed to keep my house standing, I'll never know!" Mrs. Kim was gushing. Gushing.

        "They were really nice kids," you said. "All four of them."

        "Of course! If they weren't, I wouldn't allow them in the house or be friends with my babies," the woman joked. "Ahahaha!"

        "Ha! Haha... ha..."

        "But really, thank you." Both of you were watching the kids playing with dinosaurs in the area between the living room and the kitchen. "It's tough when you're husband's on the other side of the world doing his job. This is probably what it feels like to be a single parent."

        "No, thank you. I'm not even a real babysitter, just some kid who needs money, but you let me watch your kids." You smiled gratefully. "I hope you have a merry Christmas."

        "Oh, about that. I'm not actually done with the preparations." You blinked questioningly. "And I don't really know anybody else young enough to understand my kids, so... are you free next Saturday?"

        Lol wut?

        "I understand if you don't want to babysit again, I'm just wondering if you'd like to," Mrs. Kim rushed. "You don't have to, really. If you'd like to, then you can come over and babysit anytime. But like I said, only if you want to. I'm not forcing you or anything. It's just that- "

        "Just tell me what time and I'll be there."

        " -and the kids seem to really like you, even AJ! And- what? Oh, really?! Thank you!" Mrs. Kim's gushing again. "I can't thank you enough."

        "Thank me when the job's done," you said cooly.

        "Waaah, you're so cool!" You looked down to see Kevin. Gushing. Because, yes, you are cool.

        "I'm just gonna go and put my things up. Go ahead and say bye to the kids." and with that, Mrs. Kim left, humming some Christmas tune you forgot the name of.

        You let Kevin drag you to the others as he practically forced you to kneel down next to them. "We drew this for you!" He said, smiling his big smile while proudly holding up a paper filled with pictures.

        Hmmm, an octopus, a robot, two apples, a dog, a dog with halo and wings, bunch of stars and heart, a house near a tree, a clock, a unicorn, a triangle, two smiley faces, a butterfly, and something human that you assume to be you 'cause it's got something red around it's neck. All in all, a touching gift from the boys.

        "Aww, thanks guys!" You were gushing. GU-SHING.

        "We'll make sure to be here Saturday," Alexander grinned, putting an arm around Kevin's shoulders.

        "Okay, I guess I'll see you guys then." Eli and AJ nodded.

        You stepped out of the house, feeling like you haven't seen the outside world for a long time. So with a paper in hand, a few dollar bills tucked in you pocket, and red headphones blasting music, you walked down the street. It was all worth it.

 


           ~The End~

*Throws confetti everywhere*

Oh yeah, oh oh oh yeah, I'm feeling good.

Thanks for reading, fellow humans C: