Chapter 4, Because When In Need, Use Your Pens

The Importance of Paper Towels, Pens and Weird Names

A few days later the boys find themselves going for another outing. They're grouped like they were previously, 'cause they didn't feel like drawing today. Because, to be honest, they do that: they draw to decide who goes with who. It might seem like a not really smart idea, but it works for them.

So this day again it's Wufan with Baekhyun, Sunwoo with Chanshik, Myungsoo with Sungyeol, Junhyung with Chanyeol and Hyunseung.

But as Chanyeol's looking at another zombie they just passed by, he grows worried. He takes out his walkie-talkie.

"What number is it already? Ninth one?" he asks. Both Junhyung and Hyunseung glance at him from the front seats.

It's the first time they see them so many out of cities, like the zombies are going somewhere.

"Twenty first," the three hear Sungyeol. "I saw some going through the forest, too."

"What are you thinking?" Baekhyun asks.

"Well, I'm worried," Sunwoo says.

"Especially since it's been only a few kilometers since our house. And it's like they're going in that direction," Hyunseung joins.

"Maybe we should change our location?" Baekhyun suggests.

"You want to move?" Sunwoo sounds a bit surprised.

"It makes sense." They hear Chanshik saying, though he's a little more quiet as he's probably talking to Sunwoo's walkie talkie.

"It totally does. I'd rather move than have them visiting us one day," Sungyeol says.

"When?" Hyunseung asks.

"Well, definitely soon," Baekhyun says.

"How about now, though?" Sungyeol suggests.

"What? But we barely left the house," they hear Sunwoo being quite surprised.

"So later?" Baekhyun asks.

"Now would be better. Who knows what we'll come back to later, right?" Sungyeol sounds worried as it's something he doesn't want to find out. Neither of them does.

Then they hear a little bit of rustling and Chanshik speaks.

"He's right. We better go back now and pack our things. And then we'll go for an outing, with everything in our cars. And we'll know how much we can take today... And the zombies are slow, but we'll be only back in a few hours, so everything is possible."

"Yeah, pretty much what he said. So we better go back," Sungyeol decides.

"Wufan, you're at the end, you first," Hyunseung says.

Then they just hear something like a sigh and Baekhyun giggling.

Chanyeol turns around in his seat and looks at the car behind the one he's in. He sees Wufan looking to the sides as he's slowing down and then starting making a pretty u-turn.


*


Two hours later the boys are pretty much almost finishing packing. And they're amazed by how much stuff they've managed to collect, especially as they all had only a few things or nothing at the beginning (to Chanshik's biggest sorrow and him turning into that sad, big-eyed, pouting puppy whenever he is reminded). There's really a lot of stuff, enough to possibly make no room in the cars at all, even for them, but after a smart selection they end up leaving about half of the stuff, because, seriously, who would need thirty blankets? (and why do they have so many anyway?)

Also, the boys are smart and leave one of them outside to observe and guard the house. They've seen the zombies on the road and those weren't close enough, but who knows how many were traveling through forests and such? It seems like it's only a matter of time before one gets here.

They find out it's a smart decision a moment after Wufan changes with Chanshik, so the younger boy can finally go and decide how much of the things he needs(/wants) is left by the hyungs that promised to help and pack his stuff while he was guarding. So suddenly everyone hears a shot and in a moment the eight boys are glued to the windows and watching as the zombie falls to the ground.

It's a huge sign that they need to be fast.

Also, because the shot was hardly quiet and they're sure they aren't the only ones having heard that.

So they ignore still pouting Wufan and come back to packing, only doing it much, much quicker.

(The pout has been on the boy's face for the last twenty minutes, since the moment the others decided he was finished with packing, because, really, one box of his crazy creams, balsams and the rest of weird things is enough... It's the first time for all of the boys to see Wufan looking so sad, almost he like was going to cry in a moment. Chanyeol was about to break and start convincing the others that one more box couldn't hurt, right? Almost, because he knew better.)

Soon the second zombie falls and it's when they decide they're all ready to go.

Well, almost all as after the little meeting of five of them, meaning Sungyeol, Chanshik, Junhyung, Hyunseung and Myungsoo; both Sungyeol and Junhyung were a little hesitant to just leave the room, glancing at the walls.

Myungsoo manages to pull Sungyeol out of the room after promising to paint a similar thing for him later and make the new one more movable. Or, even, one day they'll come back here and they'll take pictures or just take the wall, if Sungyeol wants. Sungyeol obviously does want, though the last option makes him raise a brow at Myungsoo. He still agrees and lets himself to be pulled out.

Junhyung is a little more difficult.

"Bye, bye," he murmurs, standing in front of his precious Pikachu. "I'm really sorry I have to leave you. Seriously."

Hyunseung only watches from the side for now, but as he sees the younger's eyes watering, he comes closer and hugs the boy from behind.

"I'm sure he understands," Hyunseung whispers softly. "You're pretty much his dad, so he wants you to be safe. And you won't be safe here. But he will."

Junhyung puts his hands on Hyunseung's that are laying on his tummy and squeezes.

"Hyung, you've got five more in the car that you need to take care of," Chanshik speaks up hoping it'll help his hyung to feel better. "This one is a big boy, but the others are little and they need you."

Hyunseung smiles at Chanshik.

Junhyung doesn't answer, but after a few moments he nods.

"You're right." He rises a hand and pets Pikachu's head a few times. "You'll be safe. And we'll visit you one day." He smiles. "Right?" Junhyung looks at Hyunseung.

"Of course."

Finally Junhyung lets himself be pulled out of the room while still waving at his adorable Pikachu.


*


When everything and everyone are ready and there's even Junhyung kind of willingly walking out of the house, already sitting in the car Chanyeol quickly looks around to find Wufan. Luckily, the older boy is looking at him as well, so Chanyeol waves for him to come.

Wufan does come. When he's close enough, Chanyeol opens the door, grabs the older boy's arm and pulls him much, much closer.

"I sneaked in two more boxes of your creams between all the stuff," Chanyeol whispers quietly, so Baekhyun, sitting in the driver's seat, doesn't hear. Especially since the boy isn't even subtle about the fact that he's trying to eavesdrop.

Then Chanyeol moves away a little, so he can observe how this beautiful, happy, huge smile blooms on Wufan's face. This smile is definitely one of Chanyeol's favorites, especially that it doesn't happen often.

Chanyeol almost smiles widely and happily, too, only he barely manages to show his pretty teeth a little, as suddenly there's Wufan grabbing Chanyeol's shirt with his two hands and pulling him in for a kiss. And it's definitely not one of those innocent, short kisses.

Unfortunately, Baekhyun's still sitting next to Chanyeol.

"Yah! Get a room!" the boy yells laughing.

Also unfortunately, they don't have time to get one.

Chanyeol withdraws and pokes his tongue at Baekhyun while pretending he's not feeling a little breathless and distracted at the moment.

They hear Hyunseung calling Wufan and sadly the older boy needs to go. But first he steals another kiss from Chanyeol. Only then Wufan walks away waving at the younger boy who's waving back.

They both try not to actually look at each other and the other's red and quite swollen lips, as it wouldn't really help.

Baekhyun, who's been watching the whole show of the two since the beginning, is giggling at how adorably in love his best friend is. And then he bursts out laughing very helpfully as he hears amused Junhyung asking Wufan if he's still sure he wants to drive.


*


The boys spend their next few hours driving, still not sure about the direction they should choose. They drive a few hours, talking with the walkie-talkies, and suddenly it's late afternoon and they decide it's a good time for a break. Some of them feel like tired by the driving, some need to pee, some want to eat, some do all these things.

They decide to do the break in the forest, while driving through it. Chanyeol and Baekhyun's car is the one at the end and as Baekhyun's parking on the road verge, behind Myungsoo and Sungyeol's car, Chanyeol's quickly hiding the Yellow Book under the passenger's seat.

Because nobody can see the Yellow Book.

Well, nobody beside Baekhyun, who has been laughing at and teasing him, since Chanyeol secretly sneaked out during an outing to a bookshop and found one, pretty much what he was looking for.

Meaning, a book that'll help him to learn Mandarin.

Chanyeol's been going through the book only in the car, while Baekhyun's driving. He doesn't want Wufan to know yet, he wants to actually be able to say something or understand things before he tells.

Baekhyun finds it very cute and can't help but giggle at Chanyeol, whenever he sees his best friend opening the book. Which is why he keeps teasing the taller boy. And, seriously, Chanyeol figured out the book, like, two days after they'd met Wufan, smitten with the older so much so quickly.

And so the book is hidden again and the two join the other at going out of the cars. And it's fun and some start whining how tiring driving so long is and some start whining at others to be quiet and things are pretty fun this way.

But, yeah, peeing comes first and everyone finds themselves a nice place, tree or a bush.

Baekhyun glances at the scene and sighs. And he keeps walking into the forest, because, unfortunately, he just doesn't like peeing with people around, it's uncomfortable and something blocks in him and he just can't. So as he's still hearing a few of his friends talking, he keeps walking.

And finally it's quiet and he's alone and he might pee comfortably.

And he does.

Then he zips up his pants and turns around.

Just in time to see three zombies limping towards him and they're pretty close already.

Baekhyun looks around for his bat or the pickaxe that he usually uses, but then he remembers he left both in the car. So he's defenseless.

He panics as he starts walking back while looking at hungry zombies and going through his pockets in hope he finds find something useful.

And he does. Kind of.

The two pens from Sunwoo.

Great. Dammit.

But since he doesn't really have any other choice, he takes the things out, with the walkie-talkie in the other.

"If someone could, like, come here? Channie, I want to see your gun here!" Baekhyun yells to the walkie-talkie and, as one of the zombies pretty much jumps at him, he throws it to the side. And with the other hand, he raises the pen and, remembering Sunwoo's words, aims for the eye, hard and deep.

It seems like the pen reaches the brain and it works, because then Baekhyun lets go of the pen and the zombie falls down.

Pens work!

That's hilarious. And Sunwoo will laugh in his face until the boy can't breath anymore.

The second zombie reaches Baekhyun and he quickly moves with the other pen, feeling a little bit more confident.

The second zombie falls down.

And now Baekhyun's screwed, because he doesn't have anymore pens and he doesn't have anything else and there's pretty much nothing he can do.

Also, his great luck appears again, because it always just knows the right timing, meaning that while walking backwards, Baekhyun doesn't notice a little bush, trips over it and falls down on his back.

"," Baekhyun murmurs, because it hurts, and then he remembers the zombie and it's like a meter in front of him and it's almost jumping on him and he just can't do anything.

Baekhyun closes his eyes and feels tears, thinking that this is now, this is how he'll die. He's made it through over a month. And now it's over of the journey for him; he hasn't managed to find his family yet, and ended up only with Chanyeol, his best friend since childhood, by his side, who now is going to lose Baekhyun as well, but at least there's still Wufan for him, right?

Yeah, the game's over, Baekhyun manages to think, a failed attempt at humor in the last moment of his life.