They Meet

Date Me

“Ok, got my bag with my keys, makeup, cell… uhm… yup that’s it.”

“You’re going out already? We didn’t even have lunch.”

“Yeah, I know. I’m sorry. I just thought I’d go out and see what the neighborhood has to offer. Maybe I’ll go to the community center and volunteer for a program.”

“Alright. Would you like me to come with you?”

“No, that’s fine. You stay here and we’ll have dinner when I get back.”

“Kay, text me when you’re on your way back.”

-----

 

Leaving her new apartment Eunsook walks down her street going inside every business along the way. She stops inside a small shop that sells K-pop memorabilia where she ends up buying a G-Dragon keychain. I love his eyes. Shop to shop she checks everything out lingering in a few places before she moves to the next.  She walks all the way down her block and as she’s making her way back up, right before the center, she sees that woman again. It’s her… the girl I saw from the window. Trying not to look crazy she slightly picks up her speed walking toward the front door of the center. With her eyes she follows the girl into the building which only makes her walk in an even hurried state. Finally, reaching the building she jogs up the steps and gets inside. The cold air makes her shiver. She doesn’t see the girl. “Well she can’t be that far I was just a couple of steps away…” Eunsook walks further into the building past a few closed doors peeking inside each thin window down the hall to the receptionist desk. She sees someone kneeling behind the desk filing papers, who she assumes is the receptionist, with their hair tied in a ball on the back of their head wearing khakis, “Excuse me. Did you see a thin young woman come by?”

“Well good after noon to you as well.”

“Uh… sorry. Good afternoon. Did you see any young women go by?”

“No. No young women came through here.”

“Darn. Okay, thank you.” Eunsook turns down another hallway to start looking in more rooms. She goes down a few doors then turns back around toward the desk. “Hi. Sorry.” She starts walking to the desk.

Softly sighing as they stand up from behind the desk, “Yes?” the young man pulls the hair tie from his hair ruffling his hair as he turns around, “How can I help you?”

Oh…my…goodness “What-the-fu….”

“Excuse me?” He his eyebrow at her.

“Hmm, I didn’t really find her but I do think I found who I was looking for.” She leans forward extending her hand, “Hey, I’m Eunsook.”

He extends his hand to hers shaking it, “Hello, I’m Taemin. I am in charge of the center and I lead the culture club on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.”

A soft blush creeps across her cheeks, “Can I join? I mean… I was part of the center in my old town so I thought I’d check this place out.”

“Sure! Sounds great. I was actually looking for people that could join.” He steps from behind the counter combing his fingers through his thick brown hair the red tinged tips falling between his fingers with each . “Say, let’s have dinner in the café and I’ll tell you more about the center.”

Eunsook has a strange feeling inside; she isn’t sure if she should be happy because she found the “girl” from last night or if she should feel odd for being attracted to a man. She hasn’t been attracted to a man in over 17 years; her last boy crush was her older cousin Siwon but of course that wouldn’t work out for many reasons.

They ate in the café and spoke about their community centers both of them sharing stories of what they’ve experienced and what their centers had to offer. Toward the end of their conversation Eunsook received a text from Boa, “Eun, where the heck are you? It’s been hours. We were supposed to have dinner right?” Ah … “I’m so sorry Taemin but it looks like I actually have to go now.” Scooting her chair back picking up her bag rustling with her things, “But um, could I get your number, maybe we can text or call each other.”

Taemin gets up to walk her out, “Of course. I’d like that a lot. It is always good to make new friends.”

Again a soft blush color creeps across her cheeks, “Yes, it is. Here you can take my number.” Writing down her number and name Lee Eunsook she hands him a small piece of paper and waits for him to offer his up as well.

“Ah thank you” He graces her with the sweetest smile. Aw, his smile is so nice… charismatic… better than Minjungs. “OH! That’s why you’re staring at me. I need to give you mine as well.” He leans down writing his number. Christ, I didn’t know I was staring. “There you go Miss Eunsook. I’ll be looking forward to hearing or reading from you.” Eunsook busts out into giggles making Taemin smile. “Good, you like my corny jokes… I tell them here to there in the club… not a lot of people appreciate them. I’m glad you do.”

“Well of course… Okay, bye.”

While heading out of the center she rushes down the steps reading the paper Lee Taemin "Aw, he writes so cute." Gushing the whole way up the stairs absentmindedly smiling like a goofball Eunsook gets to her new apartment and opens the door pressing her back against it as she slides down.

“Eunsook where have you been?!”

“Oh Boa, I can’t believe what I’m about to say…” Boa stops fussing and gestures a “hurry up” motion to her. “I’m in love with a man.” She scrunches her bag tight in her hands right against her chest, “A very beautifully y man….” She sighs, “Mr. Lee Taemin.”