「Paint it Black」

『Unexpectedly YOU』

 

     The bus could only bring her so far to her destination. you pulled onto the rope, alerting the driver that she have reached her destination or near it, and exited the bus. She proceed toward the publishing house that holds her future in its hand. you hugged her satchel against her chest, walking a bit faster with every step, then jogged, and finally full on sprinted toward the building as if this if the treasure she have hunted for all her life, like some sort of literary Indiana Jones. 
 
     "I'm here to see Miss Scaley," she said, putting on her best smile.
     The receptionist didn't bother looking up. Instead the woman tapped on the sign in sheet and gestured her head toward the waiting area. you scribbled her name on the sheet, cursing under her breath and took a seat. you fixed the glasses on her face, the lenses seem to get foggier as time passed, mirroring her nerve.
 
     A door creaked and a tall woman exited the office, walking toward you with out stretched hand and a winning smile etching across her face, like some sort of predator luring its prey into a false sense of security, then again everyone seemed that way to her. 
     "Welcome! You must be you." The woman said cheerfully, as shook her hand. All her instincts told her to be cautious. This woman is good, perfect hand shake, bright smile, already promising her riches and fame and the woman haven't spoken more than five words. All her senses told her to run, but against all her instincts, you fought and nodded, following the woman to her office. The Dragon's Den as she like to called every single publishing house she have ever stepped foot into, like that show she adored on BBC, except instead of an entrepreneur, you has nothing but words, literally. 
 
     "Wine?" The woman offered as she settled behind her desk.
     "No, thank you." you said, placing the stack of paper from her satchel and placing it on the desk. 
      "Oh good, you're prepared," Scaley said, her eyes scanning the words, flipping from page to pages. Of course, you doesn't expect the woman to read it all, that would take hours.
 
     The next fifteen minutes gruelingly passed by. The woman sighed, raised her eye brows, her finger and flipped each page (something you didn't particularly like) and finally flipped back to the first page and glanced up at you with a silence that seem to stretched for an eternity.
     "Well," Scaley began, the pages, "I love it!" she exclaimed. you's heart leaped. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. Here it is, after so many heart breaks, and false hope, life is giving her a break!
 
 
     "I, that is my publishing house is willing to publish your book for 75% equity of the franchise," Scaley said, "That is if it does become a franchise. I know 75% is high, especially for a struggling writer. Believe me, I've been there but this will cover printing, advertisement, editor, as well minimizing risk for my publishing house and ensured returns, you understand. The book will be sold for $7.99 after it is edited and printed. You will receive $1.99 for every book sold. What do you think?" 
     you expected much less. This deal is better than she could hoped for. "I'll take it. Thank you." she said, smiling from ear to ear.
     "I'm glad to hear that, I will have my secretary draw up the documents for the contract and have it sent to your agency. Congratulations." Scaley said, and stood up, extending her hand to you, shaking it. 
 
     you left the publishing house relieved and excited, and all sort of emotions all rolled up into one. 
 
     By now you must have guessed that the feeling of relief does not come easily to you. She have been let down by many things and people in her short life, but today's trip have yielded result— For the first time, she have something she could look forward to. Though jaded, she still retained a childlike belief in magic, tempered by an adult determination to make it happen. 
 
     It was late at night before many public transportation trips reached the place she grudgingly called home. you was anxious to read over her book, saved on the external hard drive of her computer, but first she decided to check on her mother.
 
      Jeong Eun So was bed ridden. She had been since her husband's disappearance. Nervous tension, the doctors said. Nothing for it but rest and sleeping pills. That was almost a year ago.
      you's little sister, Yoo Na, was sitting at the foot of the stairs. Her gaze was boring a hole into the wall. Even the glitter mascara couldn't soften her expression. you had seen that look before, just after she was dumped by a boyfriend and kicked him in the shin for it. An common occurrence for a teenage her, but then again she is also, a Jeong. Anger is not a flaw, but a source of motivation and energy absolutely necessary to them.
 
     "Problems, Yoo Na?"
     Yoo Na straightened hurriedly. "My own fault, you. Apparently I left a gap in the curtains. Mum couldn't sleep."
     "Hmm," muttered you, scaling the staircase slowly.
     
     She worried about her mother's condition. She hadn't seen the light of day in a long time now. Then again, should she miraculously recover, emerging a revitalized from her room, it would signal the end of you's own extraordinary freedom. It would be to South Korea, and no more chasing your pathetic dream of being a writer, my too old and should be married, daughter.
 
     She knocked gently on the door.
     "Mum? Are you awake?"
     Something smashed against the other side of the door. It sounded expensive.
     "Of course I'm awake! How can I sleep with this room so bright?"
     you eased herself inside. An antique bed, probably one of the last expensive things they have left threw shadowy spires in the darkness, and a pale sliver of light poked through the gap from the curtains. Jeong Eun So sat hunched on the bed, her pale limbs glowing white in the gloom.
 
     "you, darling. Where have you been?"
     you sighed. She recognized her. That was a good sign.
     "Dinner, Mum. Down town with my friends."
     "Ah, Down Town," crooned Eun So. "How I miss it. Maybe when your father returns."
     you felt a lump in . Most uncharacteristic.
     "Yes. Perhaps when Papa returns."
     "Darling, could you close those damned curtains? The light is intolerable."
     "Of course, Mum."
 
     you felt her way across the room, wary of the clothes scattered around the on the floor. Finally her fingers curled around the velvet drapes. For a moment she was tempted to throw them wide open, then she sighed and closed the gap.
 
     "Thank you, darling. By the way, we really have to get rid of that maid. She is good for absolutely nothing."
     you  held her tongue. Yoo Na is Eun So's daughter, and you's sister, not a maid. She have worked hard taking care of Mum when you isn't around. Time to use Mum's absentmindedness to her advantage. 
     "You're right, Mum. I've been meaning to do it for sometime. There's Yoo Na, she would be perfect to take care of you, Mum. She's family after all."
     Eun So frowned, "Yoo Na? Yes, the name does seem familiar. Well, anyone is better than that silly girl we have now. When can she start?" 
     "Straight away. I'll give her a call."
     "You're a good girl, you. Now, give me a hug."
     you wrapped her arms around her mother. She smelled perfumed, like petals in water. But her arms were cold and weak.
     "Oh, honey," she whispered, and the sound sent goose bumps popping down you's neck. "I hear things. At night. They crawl along the pillows and into my ears."
     you felt that lump in again.
     "Perhaps we should open the curtains, Mum."
     "No," her Mum sobbed, releasing you from her grasp. "No. Because then I could see them too."
     "Mum, please." She pleaded desperately. 
     But it was no use. Eun So was gone. She crawled to the far corner of the bed, pulling the comforter under her chin.
     "Send the new girl."
     "Yes, Mum."
     "Send her with Chalboribbang and Green Tea."
     "Yes, Mum."
     Eun So glared at her with crafty eyes. "And stop calling me Mum. I don't know who you are, but you're certainly not my little you."
     you blinked back a few rebellious tears. "Of course, Sorry Mu— Sorry."
 
     "Hmmm. Don't come back here again, or I'll have my husband take care of you. He's a very important man, you know."
     "Very well, Mrs. Jeong. This is the last you'll see of me."
     "It had better be." Eun So froze suddenly. "Do you hear them?"
     you shook her head. "No. I don't hear any—"
     "They're coming for me. They're everywhere."
 
     Eun so dived for cover beneath the comforter. you could still hear her terrified sobs as she went down stairs.
 
[Author's Note: I know it's sort of early to update, but what do you think?]